ad: CQMM-1

Parks on the Air - SOTABEAMS Band Hopper III Antenna Testing

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W5KV, Jul 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W5KV

W5KV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Join me as I activate Lockhart State Park (KFF-3033) for the WWFF-KFF POTA (Parks on the Air) program.

Testing out a new SOTABEAMS Band Hopper III+ antenna.

After further consideration, the ease of deploying this antenna, combined with the weight, size, and finally the performance? It's one of the best antennas I've used yet for portable!

Results:
    20 meters - 47 contacts (Furthest DX: EA1DR!)
    40 meters - 2 contacts (the band was rough!)

A TEXAS sized thank you to all who worked (or attempted to) me through the noise!

K5ACL

K3TEF, VE3VTG, VE7JBT and 7 others like this.
  2. N2YDC

N2YDC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You did well, awesome work despite band conditions..... 73 N2YDC

W5KV likes this.
  3. KM4EBZ

KM4EBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Excellent Presentation !!!!! Very good for us old guys who do not know about video. I like the bumper mount. Having done heavy truck repair in the south Alabama 100 degree plus heat for 45 years, I appreciate a quick set-up! Hope you continue with your fine work. 73, Bob KM4EBZ

W5KV likes this.
  4. K0VWA

K0VWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great video! Thanks for sharing. Sota Beams antenna is a good choice. My SOTA buddy Dan (KN0MAP) has the 2 band version. We use it for SOTA activations here in Colorado and it works great. Also suspended it from a tree for winter field day. Great lightweight antenna.

Carl - K0VWA

W5KV likes this.
  5. KC1FOZ

KC1FOZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I completely agree,the best portable antenna I've used.
    Fourth of July weekend camping,battery power,FT 857 and my SOTA Beam 20 / 40 meter...70 contacts 20 countries

W5KV likes this.
  6. KD5OM

KD5OM Premium Subscriber

Keep an eye out for Shotgun Willy. He plays that golf course from time to time.

W5KV likes this.
  7. W5KV

Shotgun Willy! I'll have to remember than one, lol. If I was playing golf that day, I would have passed out from heat stroke!

8. K2FI

K2FI Ham Member QRZ Page

Great antenna. I have the 20-30-40 Bandhopper that I used for NPOTA and POTA, plus random operations from parks and trails.

W5KV likes this.
  9. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

SODOBEAMS kick a$$.

W5KV likes this.
  10. WB4J

WB4J Ham Member QRZ Page

When using the winder, wrap the guy rope in a figure 8 around the winder, this does not put a twist in the rope and if you put your finger in the hole, it will rock back and forth and come off smooth. Same with the wire antenna if you put it on a winder. (old kite flyer)... Budd WB4J

NA7RX and W5KV like this.
  11. W3AAX

W3AAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Awesome video - Thanks for taking the time to talk about enjoying the program. Please write me if anyone has any questions. 73 W3AAX

W5KV likes this.
  12. W7WHY

W7WHY Ham Member QRZ Page

HI

When putting up the mast, why not put a pulley at the top, that way you can raise and lower the antenna without having to lower the mast.

Nice video!!

13. W5KV

That's an excellent idea... why didn't I think of that?! Looking for a plastic lightweight pulley online now! Thanks for the idea..

14. W5KAL

W5KAL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very Nice Video and presentation.
    Also, Thank you for Your Service.

Ken L. - W5KAL

W5KV likes this.