ad: QuirkyQRP-1

New AM website

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by K5YGC, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5YGC

K5YGC Ham Member QRZ Page

2. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations on your new site. I invite you to link to the West Coast AM site at www.ami-west.com. Over 400 strong and still growing.

All the Best

Ron W6OM

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

cool you can't have too many AM groups:)

4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

5. W6OM

W6OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, I have many "AM" video's on you Tube. Enjoy and remember, you cannot make SSB without first making AM......Unless someone changed the laws of physics last night while I was sleeping....Hi Hi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOwtVsiyLi8&feature=plcp

Enjoy Ron W6OM

6. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that true? Sounds as if it could be. I don't think I've operated AM more than once or twice, mostly just to test something. Seems to me it's a mode that requires a lot more than barefoot power and modest antennas.

7. NQ6U

NQ6U Ham Member QRZ Page

Technically, SSB is a form of amplitude modulation, only with one side band and the carrier suppressed.

8. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's possible to generate DSB (double sideband suppressed carrier) directly with a DSP.

9. K2NCC

I have DSB and never used it. On my list of things to try. But for now, I wouldn't know when I'd even use it over "regular" SSB.

10. W6RZ

Only if the receiving station is using DSB synchronous detection. Otherwise, it's a waste of transmit power.

BTW, pretty much all modern amateur SSB transmitters use a DSP to generate SSB. First a DSB signal (or more precisely, a series of digital values at some sampling frequency like 24 kHz) is created and then the DSB signal is run through a Hilbert transform to eliminate one sideband (this is also called the "phasing" method when analog techniques are used).

11. K2NCC

What's the benefit of DSB vs SSB, under ideal circumstances?

12. W6RZ

The DSB synchronous detector knows exactly where to reinsert the carrier. You don't have to guess what the operators voice actually sounds like when you manually tune SSB (useful for female voices). Also, it can help if there is selective fading.

But given the power disadvantage and the fact that you're using twice the bandwidth, the advantages of DSB aren't enough (and SSB is the way to go).

13. WA3VJB

I don't have a response for when you're listening under ideal circumstances.

But under similar circumstances, with or without a synch detector, the signal with two sidebands lets you select the portion that has the least amount of interference.

In addition, having a full carrier and two sidebands enhances the ability to withstand poor reception because of static. The carrier helps many receivers maintain a good audio gain balance (AVC or AGC, with attack times fast or slow) during a static crash, since it helps mute that crash.

The carrier also provides important information much like teletype's mark and space protocol, where nothing is something. The carrier is a form of punctuation. When someone is presenting a thought, the carrier lets the listener know that the person has not yet concluded that thought, minimizing the chance for talking over their transmission still underway.

For these reasons, AM is the way to go.

Hope to hear you on the radio soon. Most modern transceivers can be adjusted to sound very good on AM, unlike the 1980s when manufacturers shortchanged the mode. The Flex 3000 that you have can sound especially fine on both transmit and receive. Here are two examples. One, I am recorded on a Flex as received in the Chicago area (with sync detector ON), and the other, I have recorded that station as received on a vintage tube receiver, using the "diode load" tap.

The quality is remarkable.

http://qth.net/wa3vjb/7285-VJB.mp3

http://qth.net/wa3vjb/7285-W9AD.mp3

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  14. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I cannot understand the "AM" effort. I hear guys on AM trying new mikes and things to "sound better". If the truth be known (believed), it is only the different filtering/ or lack of audio processsing in the transmitters and receivers that makes AM sound better. ABsent that, there is absolutely no difference between either AM sideband and SSB. k2lck

15. WA3VJB

First you have to factor-in the allure of vintage gear that features AM, although there's a substantial presence of multi-mode Flex radios with AM synchronous detection, and other contemporary transceivers that sound very good transmitting on AM and can also receive it with adequate quality besides. This set of people forms the "AM Community" drawn to the mode on its own merit.

You've pointed to some distinguishing features. But when you say "absent that," you've actually put your finger on the practical difference and answered your own question. Here's a great sounding station on SSB:

http://youtu.be/U7POvCMHAYE

But look at his rundown.
    Most transceivers come without an emphasis on making the human voice sound human. They come with a combination of crappy sounding microphones, computer-quality speakers, inadequate receive bandwidth and severe compression that destroys natural dynamic range. None of those conditions is a "problem" for users who aren't interested in something better, possibly including yourself.

Those who prefer to get beyond what's been called "space shuttle audio" have gravitated to AM, as well as taking steps to improve what's possible on SSB.

You're invited.

Here's an example of what you're missing:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JchCe86NlO8

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.