ad: Retevis-1

JS8CALL (FT8CALL on Steroids) 20wpm - 24 db / Jordan KN4CRD does it again!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Oct 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Along with 6000 others in the group ;)

Cheers!

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Indeed!!

Thanks for all you're doing

Dave
    W7UUU

KN4CRD likes this.
  3. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

AND - it runs under Xp SP3 ....

AF7EC and KN4CRD like this.
  4. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

Who the heck is still running XP? :eek:

Win10 has been the best release MS has ever put out. Also takes less resources (on a modern machine) than XP.
    (i.e., I go from cold start to full desktop in ~15 seconds. And my system parts are at least 5 years old.)

N0YPD likes this.
  5. AA5CT

re: "Who the heck is still running XP?"

Approximately 28% of Americans based on hard statistics ... and that does not include "private", back-room users who don't report publicly.

KF4ZKU, K3SZ and VK6APZ/SK2022 like this.
  6. K2NCC

Probably the same people still using AOL. :p

I would never assume the masses as a baseline for my choices. The majority of people are idiots.

K5TRI likes this.
  7. AA5CT

re: "I would never assume the masses as a baseline for my choices."

Not relevant as to the validity of a statistic. Also irrelevant to my current use of Xp.

As an aside. I just yesterday reviewed ReactOS, a Windows replacement ...

8. K2NCC

Point being, time to sell some junk you're not using and upgrade!

Evolve or die.

9. K2NCC

Thanks for that tip! I'll look into it.

Although in my experience, most of the programs I run only work on Windows. I'd have to give up a huge portion of what I do to switch O/S.

"... able to run many Windows applications."
    "Many" isn't good enough. Or try to emulate, which kinda defeats the point.

hamappscollection2014.jpg
    (old screenshot, but still a fine example of my "COMMS" folder...)

10. AA5CT

(1) Insufficient business case presented for justification of expenditure to replace the many Xp boxes presently employed in varied application scenarios . (2) Xp runs the engineering softwares (ranging from some DOS-based utilities to Windows based board layout, antenna sim packages including FEM based Ansoft as well MS office suite, MS SW language tools) presently employed. (3) Win 7 64-bit box is employed for specific purpose, but not for JS8, or casual or 'bidness' browsing. (4) I just got full sight back in the July-August timefame after two - three years of rapidly declining vision, so figure I have to make up for that time. (5) I'm not a computer 'consumer', I R a 'enginear' so these are just TOOLS ... we put a man on the moon using FAR less 'horsepower' than any one of us have on our desks today ...

KF4ZKU, W4MHZ and W1YW like this.
  11. AA5CT

I still have apps, namely EESOF ESYN filter design and Touchstone (linear ckt sim) that run on a DOS-based 386 w/co-pro that has a 'hardware 'dongle' hanging off the back, and that same platform hosts my Z80 development tools ...

K2NCC likes this.
  12. K2NCC

No doubt. If what you have works for what you do, and with no intention of upgrading corresponding programs, then it makes no sense to upgrade.

But I'm not talking commercial use as much as I am us amateurs.

Me, if I have to drop to a command-line to use a program, it's time to find a new program. Far too many benefits (for me) in upgrading VS hanging on to a near 20-year-old O/S.

I embrace new technology and fortunately have nothing that requires me to be backwards compatible.

13. AA5CT

re: "I embrace new technology and ..."

I bought my 'first' piece of automation when in school. A hundred and fifty bucks for a TI SR-50 which would do hyperbolic trig functions ... and, I still have it. Turns out, one of those little square 3.7 V Lithium 700 mAh rechargeable cells replaced the dead 3 cell NiCad pack easily ...

K2NCC likes this.
  14. K2NCC

Nice! I too had a TI for my 1st technology experience, a TI-99/4A.

But good luck running multi-monitors and several HD amateur apps, while playing Sniper Elite 4. :)

Me, I have one computer in the shack. It does everything I want. I can play radio, videos games, and watch a movie with a single box.
    And barely break a sweat, with much thanks to more streamlined operating systems.

Every computer I've upgraded from XP has a notable improvement with Win7/10. Vista, of course, sucked.

For about the same price that the TI cost me 30 years ago.

Which about any O/S can do... today.

w4ravdesktop2018a.jpg

15. WA5GP

WA5GP Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again: If one can't get to this new software! What is the point of bringing it up as NEWS!!! Maybe when the software is readily available for download and easy access it may be note worthy.

KF4ZKU likes this.