ad: M2Ant-1

IL, IA, MO, WI, IN - what are the best or larger Hamfests - in the Central Region?

Discussion in 'Hamfest and Convention Calendar' started by KB9UMT, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KB9UMT

KB9UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

GE,
    I don't go to too many Hamfests but the few I have gone to other than Peoria Hamfest were not very active both in turn out numbers (<300 Hams) or Commercial Vendors/Dealers....so anyone in IL, IA, MO, WI, IN - what are the best or larger Hamfests - in the Central Region? I thought Peoria Hamfest would not be the largest but Maybe there are larger ones in the Chicago Area? St. Louis? Indianapolis? Quad Cities? Those of you that have attended a few in the Central Region might know so your comments welcome and thanks.

2. KZ9G

KZ9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Winterfest is the largest one near St. Louis. It is in Jan. and is a Saturday hamfest. It is usually well attended and has a couple of commercial vendors.

3. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Beats me I've only been to one. That was in Peotone IL,(near Chicago)and it was pretty small. I did score my general ticket there that year though:)

4. KB9UMT

KB9UMT Ham Member QRZ Page

KZ9G Jesse,
    Thank you for the reply and I will have to keep that in mind - January sounds good to have a Hamfest to attend - do you know by chance how many attend this in the last year or so? Or do they have a website with those numbers and more information? Thanks again.

K9ASE Tom,
    Thanks for the reply and been to Peotone but too small and will not waste the gas to go back but nice air in the building when its hot outside - congrats on getting your General that year, very nice.

Anyone else in the Central Region?

Don KB9UMT

5. KZ9G

KZ9G Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don,
    The Peoria Superfest works for me... but like Hamfests everywhere, it get's smaller every year. The one in West Liberty, IA is s'posed to be pretty good as is Davenport, but I've not been to either. Galva, Sterling/Rock Falls, and Princeton have gotten pretty sucky over the years.

Here is a list of Midwest Hamfests. I'm sure it is not complete, and I have no way of knowing which ones are worthwhile but... It is more information as well as some contact info: http://www.w9uvi.org/?page_id=1779

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Indy is biggest around here, but probably similar size or bigger in the other states also.

8. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Justa few miles out of that region is the BEST Hamfest in the WORLD!!!
    The Dayton Hamvention. Easy drive from any of those states!

NEVER EVER miss Dayton if you are in driving range!

9. K9LL

K9LL Ham Member QRZ Page

august 3rd,2013 midwest, il hamfest at macoupin county fairgrounds, carlinville, il 62626 for more info www:k9mce.org be there, prizes, etc......................:)

10. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately in the last 15 years Hamfest have tanked as far as Vendors, tailgaters, attendance and radio equipment. Most Hamfest used to be an all day affair and visiting with your fellow operators from the surrounding area or even several states away. A lot of the equipment I've seen recently, I would have tossed in the garbage before trying to sell it at a fest. What has done the Hamfest in, no surprise eBay. I hardly would pay $20~30 to cover 2 tickets for my XYL and myself to be shoved and pushed through a 5 hour Junkfest. I think Dayton Hamvention is probably one of the only Hamfest is worth attending in the mid west.

11. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Go a bit further north and the Chicago FM Club will be sponsoring Radio Expo 2013 in Belvidere IL on 9/7. I've never been to this one but may go this year since it's close to the QTH.

http://www.chicagofmclub.org

12. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to come to St. Charles, MO (the next county west of St. Louis), the St. Charles ARC is having their annual hamfest: http://www.wb0hsi.org/wordpress/ai1ec_event/215-2/?instance_id=487

No, its not a "mega-fest" or anywhere close to that scale. It all depends on what you are looking for in a hamfest. For me, I go to these smaller local hamfests for "eyeball QSOs" to catch up with guys I haven't seen in a while and to support the sponsoring club. I might pick up a few odds and ends from the vendors, but I gave up waiting for a hamfest to pick up a "bargain". If I want something and have the money, I just order it and don't wait for a hamfest and hope I can find what I want cheaper than from an online source.

Hamfests are more social events for me than serious shopping expeditions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.