ad: M2Ant-1

Ham Talk Live! Episode 249 - VHF Contesting and Roving with K5ND

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9VPG, Mar 2, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WB9VPG

WB9VPG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thursday night on Ham Talk Live!, Jim Wilson, K5ND will be on the show to take your questions about VHF Contesting and being a rover. Jim has an elaborate roving setup, and is a well known VHF Contester. Ask your questions LIVE on the show!

Tune into Ham Talk Live! Thursday night at 9 pm EST (Friday 0200Z) by going to hamtalklive.com. When the audio player indicates LIVE, just hit the play button!

If you miss the show live, you can listen on demand anytime also at hamtalklive.com; or a podcast version is on nearly all podcast sites a few minutes after the live show is over. Some sites include Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, SoundCloud, Stitcher, Spreaker, TuneIn, Vurbl, and iHeart Podcasts; and it's also available on YouTube.

A replay is also broadcast on WTWW 5085 AM shortwave near Nashville, TN on Saturday nights at approximately 3:30 pm Eastern.

Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive.

k5nd.jpg k5nd rover.jpg

N2BMW, SV7JWT, K5VZD and 6 others like this.
  2. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

;)

MW1CFN likes this.
  3. 2E0KLX

2E0KLX Ham Member QRZ Page

Great setup in the car, a true mobile shack ;)

Best 73,

Alex 2E0KLX

4. AD7DB

AD7DB Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to this one, should be pretty good.
    I've done a little roving for 6m and satellites, but nothing like some of these contest rovers.

5. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

This would be worth watching. This mini-SUV type setup this guy has is interesting. I'm going to watch to learn where he's operating, what power levels he can sustain, for how long, his route of peak-to-peak travel during contests and a bit about his antennas.

6. AD4ZU

AD4ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

This would be worth watching. This mini-SUV type setup this guy has is interesting. I'm going to watch to learn where he's operating, what power levels he can sustain, for how long, his route of peak-to-peak travel during contests and a bit about his antennas.

Questions I hope will be asked and answered:

1. Batteries in serial or parallel
    2. External portable power source?
    3. Typical location routes during contests - how far driven during contest weekends?
    4. Custom mount fabrication

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    N7XCZ likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

I do hope you read the last line of the post as these are great questions: "Be sure to CALL in with your questions and comments by calling 859-982-7373 live during the call-in segment of the show. You can also tweet your questions before or during the show to @HamTalkLive."

AD7DB and WB9VPG like this.
  8. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the way to go for so many of us: get the word out to the public about radio, get the benefit of great locations, and, most of all, no 'eggs-in-one-at-home-shack basket' that will suffer from neighbourhood RFI.

In other words, a radio investment for portable is often a much more sensible option than a fixed-location set-up.

WE4B and K9GLS like this.
  9. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kudos for just getting out there and doing it OM, a lot of preparation and planning I'm sure.

10. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice rig, Jim!

11. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

I can't wait till S2 season ! Love the "MAGIC BAND" ! hope to see all of us hard core 6ers. on 73'Phil..

12. VE4AMU

VE4AMU Ham Member QRZ Page

Jim’s a great guy . Truly devoted six meter and satellite operator. Always looking forward to working him , your in the the log Jim ,,,.

13. W5CMP

W5CMP Ham Member QRZ Page

Contesting