ad: MyersEng-1

Goodbye FT8, Hello Olivia, The MAGIC Digital Mode For HF!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KJ4YZI, Oct 23, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4YZI

KJ4YZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Previously, I made a couple videos introducing FT8 mode, and most recently how crammed packed it is on the bands with FT8 signals. Well, guys and gals, there are many other options if you are not aware (or maybe you are).

Ft8 is referred to as "the zombie mode", not by me, but most all the people viewing this on the ZED. Sure, it gets you a distant contact, but there is no real "interaction" with the hams on both sides. The computer is doing it all for you..
    Picture the efficiency similar to that of FT8 (not having to see it or even hear it to decode it) with the fun of rag chewing like psk31. The result is a little more than a grid square and a signal report.
    Meet Olivia. Check out this video to learn more, and COMMENT ON THE VIDEO ON YOUTUBE to tell others what YOU think of it, or what you have done with it.
    SUBSCRIBE to HamRadioConcepts, and join the audience.

Attached Files:

KQ6XA, W6ERM, VK6ATS and 5 others like this.
  2. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia is great if you want to talk to one of the 25 guys that use it to have a 45 minute QSO at the typing speed of a 5 years old.

IZ3QVB, DM1KW, W5LMM and 13 others like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I played with Olivia when it first came out, and it is a great mode when conditions are in the toilet. Sure it's slow but so is JT65. :)

AI5EF and KD0NPT like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Olivia is head-and-shoulders above JT-* and FT-* in both performance and utility. Full stop. There are multiple speeds available, so prior comments about it being slow are simply not true if you select a proper keying speed and bandwidth for your level of typing skill.

WB0MM, VE3OIJ, NU7B and 4 others like this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Contestia is Olivia but with half the characters 3db better performance, potentially. And yeah, crank up the speeds and it's a great conversational mode for us good typists.

K3RW, AB0RE, AI7AN and 2 others like this.
  6. KK5JY

I think it's actually the other way around, but yes, it is faster, and uses an abbreviated character set to achieve that. For people who are used to Baudot RTTY, it's a natural upgrade.

It is entirely possible that the only usable job skill that I got from high school was touch typing. The instructor of that class probably should have failed me, but I managed to pass and learn something in the process. :cool:

AI7AN likes this.
  7. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Ha, touch typing was required before they would let us on the IBM 029 cardpunch machines... For FORTRAN in 7th grade... Ahhh memories.

Ha, we should design a digimode using EBCDIC, enough of this Baudot and ASCII and varicode stuff!!

W1MNK, VE3WDZ and AF7EC like this.
  8. WB4M

WB4M Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Olivia is yesterday's news and it is too slow for me also. I doubt VERY seriously Olivia will replace FT8 anytime in the near future, if at all. I prefer PSK31 or RTTY for ragchews over Olivia. Actually, the old linked modes were pretty good, Pactor, Amtor, and Clover, like them all better for ragchews but they are all dead now. How about MFSK, guess it died also?
    All modes are fine with me but FT8 is the bomb for award chasing.

KC9RNK, K2WH and KJ7WT like this.
  9. KK5JY

Why would it? You can actually trade words with Olivia. The use models between it and FT8 are very different. As you pointed out...
    ...because that's all it's good for.

To be honest, I'm surprised that people allow awards for FT8, because it (and all its brethren) only communicate half the data over the radio channel. Then again, they allow assistance in contests, so why not for FT8 awards...

AK5B and DL6BCX like this.
  10. F1ABE

F1ABE Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy that you speak olivia, it's my favorite mode, the speed is adjustable, qso are much warmer, I have 1100 qso on olivia, I made screenshots that I send to the correspondent for him judge of the reception here.
    Olivia is a mode of discussion and not a mode a record of qso or diploma.
    Now i can say that thanks to olivia i have lots of friends! here is an example of my qso from the beginning of this month.

Eric F1ABE

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    VE3WDZ, W5QWX, NA7RX and 3 others like this.
  11. KG5THG

KG5THG Ham Member QRZ Page

Any mode that you can contact anyone for any purpose is a good mode. Enjoying all the different ones I have run into so far. Each has their place in the spectrums.

N9MID, AD8Y, W9FTV and 3 others like this.
  12. WB0OEW

WB0OEW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was using Olivia one evening at 5W to talk for two hours to a ZL. I didn't realize until after we finished my antenna had fallen down some time during the QSO! I have been an Olivia fan ever since.

NQ1B, DM1KW, KQ6XA and 3 others like this.
  13. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

When JT65 came out, it was great,but slow. Then FT8 this last June, but it's computer to computer contacts. hello/goodbye's OLIVIA is really a great mode.I used it quite often in the mobile and still use it. I wished more people would get on OLIVIA. I am on 80-17 meters olivia 250,500 and 1000. mostly 500. 8/500. hpe to c u on 14.072.50 khz 8/500 de KA1BSZ/M VERMONT FN33WX.

14. KA1BSZ

oh yes and CONTESTIA IS REALLY GREAT.....AND THERE'S THOR,THROB,DOM,MFSK,HELL,FSK 31,PACKTOR,AMTOR,G TORE,RTTY,CW,MT63,PSK 31.......PSK 31 OPERATORS ARE WEIRD 8.9 MINUTE QSO'S AND THEN THEY ARE DONE...NO CONVERSATION,NO HELLO HOW IS THE WEATHER YOUR WAY? HOW IS YOUR FAMILY? ETC,ETC,ETC,ETC. NO FRIENDLY QSO AND I SAY " WHAT? 8.9 MINUTE QSO? IS THAT ALL YOU CAN SAY? IS THIS THE OLD RUSSIA???? " then they type very slow and complain because they can't type faster.....so WHO CARES HOW FAST YOU TYPE? SO WHAT! I don't care if it takes you an hour to send 1 word,gotta start somewhere. GET ON OLIVIA,CONTESTIA AND LEARN HOW FUN HAM RADIO CAN BE!

15. KA1BSZ

mfsk and rtty are around. look for them about 14.073,72 and rtty 14.079-099. 7.080-099. rtty dx 7.0740-030 khz de KA1BSZ/M