ad: chuckmartin

Electronics & Radio - Reducing the noise from my camper's LED lights.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KB7TBT, Jan 15, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KB7TBT

KB7TBT Ham Member QRZ Page

Electronics & Radio - Reducing the noise from my camper's LED lights.

W8TOW, WB3LCE, KC1CSG and 11 others like this.
  2. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a great video, and helpful. Unfortunately it doesn't solve the real problem: manufacturers using cleap, chinese made parts that do not meet FCC requirements.... even in campers that cost a LOT of money. My own little trailer is very quiet, but when we take it to a crowded camp ground you can barely use the radio. The QRM from all of the other campers drowns out virtually all of the incoming signals. It sounds like some sort of Russian Jamming!

KJ6NQW, KD0CAC, KG7HVR and 3 others like this.
  3. N5WX

N5WX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I also had a very noisy AC/DC converter which I replaced with an Alinco 30 AMP supply. Thanks for your video.

4. K5VJZ

K5VJZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too was plagued with noise from the LED lights. I replaced all the fixtures using fixtures that would take an 1141 LED...
    Noise is now gone ! next stop is to do as Ron did, change the AC/D converter.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I've not noticed LED light problems in my R-Pod trailer but had some noise from the AC/DC converter also. I replaced the entire board with one from another manufacturer that was made to fit and it's much better on noise. The original converter developed a charging problem just out of warranty and was the main reason for the replacement. I am something of a fair-weather camper so most of my operating is outside the trailer and the noise seems to vanish rather quickly as you move away from the converter.

6. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You need to realize that FCC rules do not limit RF emissions to zero nV. A device can radiate withing FCC limits and still mute your radio if you're close enough.

W3CUB likes this.
  7. KB0MNM

KB0MNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Related info: ( This is not to be construed as anything but an observation which pertains to LED noise, precedents, and enforcement )- not my opinion: ( version has edits for brevity and legal - privacy reasons ) :
    Federal Communications Commission DA 13-2077 Before the Federal Communications Commission Washington, D.C. 20554
    ( removed cited party name for legal reasons- pubic domain) File No.: EB-FIELDSCR-13-00010114
    Citation No.: C201432540001 San Antonio, TX - Houston Office FCC )
    CITATION AND ORDER Incidental Radiator Causing Harmful Interference
    Adopted: October 25, 2013 Released: October 28, 2013
    This should still be on the books, just applies to 700 Mhz. band- an example that the FCC does sometimes take action.

W7SJP, WN1MB and WQ4G like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I go to Quartzsite Arizona most every year and as soon as it gets dark everybody turns their LEDs on. 20 over 9 noise

Then after they go to sleep it's very quiet.

But at Sunrise their solar controllers kick on and everybody turns their inverter generators on and their LED lights again.
    20 over 9 noise.

It used to be extremely quiet in the desert!

KB7UXE likes this.
  9. KI7OQF

KI7OQF Ham Member QRZ Page

My noise was my computer,,its full of LEDs

10. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video and very helpful!

Wayne
    n4eyz

WL4T likes this.
  11. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Great video, great channel.

12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Where do the FCC rules say that?

If I am not mistaken the rules say "no harmful radiation is caused." I suppose the meaning of no, harmful, radiation, is, and caused could be debated...

Dan WQ4G

13. K9BJA

K9BJA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

my truck flood lights are interfering with my 2m radio, and in some cases the am/fm radio, not sure how this would wrk on those

14. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC Title 47 CFR, Part 15 Class B specifies conducted and radiated emission limits for non-intentional radiators.
    For the frequency range of 0.5 to 30MHz the maximum conducted emission is 73dBuV (quasi-peak). This implies an allowed maximum RF voltage of 4.5mV on the wires of a device. When you're close enough with your receiving antenna, you'll hear this.

AI3V likes this.
  15. KB7UXE

KB7UXE Ham Member QRZ Page

I replaced the Halogen hiway lights with LED lights on my 2002 honda GL1800.
    . huge improvement in lighting, that came with a new problem.
    When lights on, NO RADIO. am-fm-wx , or cb... drove me crazy until I found it was the lights....
    I used diodes and an RF choke from radio shack.
    This worked to almost eliminate the noise. allowed the radio to work..
    Hope this helps someone else.
    Dan
    kb7uxe
    https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-100-h-rf-choke

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    K9BJA and US7IGN like this.