ad: AbAuRe-1

A NEW FT8 with QSO and Rag Chew capabilities called FT8CALL

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NN2X, Aug 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Even more reason it should get its own frequencies . It cannot share. It will simply crowd out whatever is there

KG7MVM and KC8DE like this.
  2. KC8DE

KC8DE Ham Member QRZ Page

Refusing to make an easy frequency change to "play nice" will create a problem that has no reason to exist and cause a tragedy of the commons. I happen to enjoy PSK31 (it's faster) and don't really appreciate a new mode just stomping on top of the meeting frequency for absolutely no reason.

NO2Y likes this.
  3. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

and it's not like these frequencies aren't in use. I just got home, tuned in 3.580 the first thing and this is what I got:

https://imgur.com/a/KtiVfw8

These frequencies ARE in use. This is just an attempt to infringe upon other people's use of the bands when other frequencies can be chosen

4. KN4CRD

KN4CRD Ham Member QRZ Page

As I've said many times, I'm flexible to change the frequency and am open to any suggested alternatives. The mode is still in development and we can adjust it at any time.

Let me know if you have any ideas for a better set of frequencies to use.

VA3OSO likes this.
  5. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PSK31 works on 14.070...FT8 works on 14.074 and now FT8CALL on 14.080

The FT8 and FT8CALL uses 50HZ, really to small to worry about...Even CW uses about 150HZ...(At best)

I like PSK31 as well, but I like FT8CALL as it works -24dB, so hence easy DX with a QSO (OK 10WPM) but something...

I don't get the bandwidth issue, as the occupied bandwidth is simply to small to fuss about. ...As stated before, SSB uses 2.4Khz, you can have 50 TX carriers for FT8CALL...All good.

Cheers

WD4IGX likes this.
  6. W4PG

W4PG QRZ Lifetime Member #279 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There is a reason rigs have a VFO. Use it and tune around. Good grief.

KG5WR, W0PV, G3NYY and 5 others like this.
  7. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

OK.....then for 160M since 1.838-1.840 is pretty well taken, why not go for 1.834?
    80m - why not 3.576? It's in between everything
    20m - 14.090?
    15m - 21.100?

EA4BPN, KN4CRD and KC8DE like this.
  8. NO2Y

NO2Y Ham Member QRZ Page

The thing is, 14.080 is RTTY. In a contest, they spread out...sure, but in day to day, that's the frequency you go to for RTTY. 50Hz may be too small to worry about on its own, but when you have 20 signals, it takes over the entire frequency. It can't share another frequency with a mode because FT8 is too popular. You may be ready to trade it in, but people do enjoy it and aren't willing to do so.

KN4CRD likes this.
  9. KC8DE

KC8DE Ham Member QRZ Page

The entire point of calling frequencies is so users of a given mode can find each other. Saying, "Use the VFO" defeats the entire point. How well would FT8 work if there were no established frequencies to find other FT8 users? Why don't you just use your VFO?

Would you tell people on 14.300, the Maritime Mobile Network frequency to "use their VFO"?

Nobody is saying FT8Call is bad. I think it's a cool idea. It should just co-exist with the other modes, which is incredibly easy if the dev just picks unique default frequencies. There's room for everybody, no reason to stomp on others.

KN4CRD and NO2Y like this.
  10. KN4CRD

Thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

11. W2PSK

W2PSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm a little confused about where to get the compiled version of this software. All I can find is source code.

Nevermind, Now the link takes me to the downloads instead of the source.

12. KN4CRD

13. W2PSK

W2PSK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hmm.. I click on the FT8 Call icon, the pointer spins for a moment and then nothing happens. No program. Windows 10 64 bit..

14. KN4CRD

There's a troubleshooting chatroom in the group. Post there :) or you can email me.

15. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One would think by now...

...given the immense popularity of FT8/JT65/JT9 over the past couple of years which completely revolutionized the hobby for the masses

...FT8 achieving 99.6% of all digital QSO's on Worldwide Amateur Bands this very evening

...that some of these Amateur Radio organizations which we help finance would at least submit a proposal for improved band allocation for this family of modes

...with contingency planning for additional future narrow band modes such as FT8CALL to maintain the peace with other digital modes

But no. The frequencies for these modes are prescribed by a Professor at UIUC (talented, no doubt) and the developer of FT8CALL within their software. And like cattle, we follow those frequency prescriptions and within weeks they become permanently used by the masses. If you change the frequency on your own away from that prescribed in the software, you will end up hearing static. Amateur radio is becoming cutting edge, but still very much poorly managed.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    G3SEA, N1AAE, KN4CRD and 1 other person like this.