ad: CQMM-1

WWV & WWVB Ground Wave!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0KA, Oct 1, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever wondered what hooking up a crystal radio detector to the fence line along WWV would sound like? This is about it [actually better]. In celebration of passing 100 years of holding the call WWV this HD recording was made on mins 0 though 4 ground wave conditions only miles from the site. With receiver opened to 20 kHz AM, the quality is stunning. I re-adjusted the waterfall to reflect a cool crisp accurate portrayal of the signal as it is received here in Fort Collins, CO. The second video is the PWM BCD time signal of station WWVB, the waterfall refresh rate was re-adjusted to capture 60 secs of the BCD signal. These have been uploaded to my signal resource and identification youtube channel that houses additional HF videos. Please select 1080HD when viewing and watch the frequency display scale during the use of zooming in and out.

Enjoy, Tyler KA0KA in Fort Collins, CO 80524

AA9G, AB2YC, AC7DD and 17 others like this.
  2. KC5MO

KC5MO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very cool! I have always wanted to know what the 60 kHz signal sounded like and looked like. Thanks!

3. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

TNX Tyler. From Chuck, WB6FQZ

4. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

And do not forget to listen around the bands for WW0WWV ! I worked them on AO-91 Satellite the other day and also heard them on 40# meters . 73' Phil..

KE0N and KO6KL like this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Living in Ft. Collins, can you receive anything BUT WWV? HI! Very cool. By the way, what is that giant chrome faced meter in your shack?

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, I used to load pods on F-16s....and A-10s before that. Didn't get to play with any live ordnance though. Rats. HI!

7. KA0KA

Thankfully, no overloading takes place here and it allows me to collect signals on HF / LF. The main reason for that is that my 280 foot loop is fed with 600 Ohm line into the shack, the Palstar AT5K is my "RXer pre-selector". It makes all the difference. I collect vintage X-Ray meters, mainly Victor mA meters that are quite stunning, my grandfather was a radiologist I got my first meter from him!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  8. K7LU

K7LU Ham Member QRZ Page

However, the radio in the rental car parked on the WW0WWV site was receiving WWV loud and clear no matter where you tuned on the AM band.

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Monday night I had FT8 QSO's with WW0WWV on 80 & 30 meters. Was dismayed their PC clock DT was in error up to 0.4 secs compared to NTP NIST. o_O Shameful! :p

W4ABC, WN1MB and KR4EE like this.
  10. KE0JNC

KE0JNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this!

11. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tyler - great video captures ! Thanks for sharing these ! :)

By the way - love the mounting feet on your tuner. :eek:

Jim, WQ2H / WK2XAH

KA0KA likes this.
  12. K0YQ

K0YQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I imagine the flux capacitor in your shack powers everything but you must get some overload from the un-shielded 1.21GW?

KA0KA likes this.
  13. AJ4LN

AJ4LN Ham Member QRZ Page

I've listened to the 60.Khz WWVB signal, and decoded it, in VA on my Kenwood TS-590S and my G5RV. I used the CLOCK app for decode from http://f6cte.free.fr/index_anglais.htm

KC5MO likes this.
  14. KA0KA

I just posted the 'WWV removed weather service announcements' and the 'WWV Splatter' video if interested. See URL video page link.
    ~Tyler, KA0KA

15. KA9Q

KA9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for these recordings. Did you get any of the other frequencies?

I've been studying WWV's HF transmitters for a while, and I see significant AM-to-PM distortion on their 5, 10 and 15 MHz signals -- especially 10 MHz. This does not affect ordinary envelope AM detection but adds considerable audible distortion to synchronous (coherent) AM detection. You can also see the distortion on an I/Q signal plot. A clean AM signal should appear as a flat line on the +I axis; the distorted signal appears banana-shaped.

The 5, 10 and 15 MHz transmitters use high level plate modulation. The 2.5, 20 and 25 MHz transmitters use linear amplifiers and appear clean.