ad: elecraft

Video: Inside Palstar AT5K & Millen 92200 Antenna Tuners

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KA0KA, Jan 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

Friends:
    In this short 6 min video episode I take apart the Palstar AT5K & James Millen 92200 Antenna Tuners and compare the built layout, differences and similarities between the two great tuners! More post will follow on my youtube channel as well!
    Enjoy, Tyler KA0KA

NL7W, IU1JRA, W2TB and 11 others like this.
  2. KA0KA

I did have a slip of the tong when saying fixed tapped 'roller' L1&L3, that was muscle memory on the Millen description it is not a 'roller' obviously;)

3. K1LKP

K1LKP Ham Member QRZ Page

AC2FO and KA0KA like this.
  4. K8AI

K8AI Ham Member QRZ Page

I want the Millen!

NL7W, WN1MB and W3KKO like this.
  5. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice video. thanks for sharing.

AC2FO and KA0KA like this.
  6. W3ICM

W3ICM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a good start, and I appreciate the effort. But I was expecting a critical analysis comparing the two, including operational performance. Sort of a Consumer Reports or ARRL lab type of measurements and analysis. I have both tuners, thus I was disappointed. Also, the voice describing the specs sometimes differs from the specs shown on the screen, esp. the KV ratings of the capacitors.

KM1H and WA1ZMS like this.
  7. WA6AM

WA6AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Tyler,
    Thank you! Nice to see a good vid. More like this would be a great thing for all of us!
    73 Art WA6AM

KA0KA likes this.
  8. KA0KA

Thanks, the specs of the AT5K tuner as stated in my narration and text notes are both correct. Over time, like any product the specs change and I wanted to be as thoughtful as possible thus I made the effort to both speak and have over-lay text that indicated they were "current specs" that were different from my AT5K.

Again, some of the themes mentioned, were never in the title or description of this video and sorry it was not as satisfying for you, those topics are separate all together and have to be on separate videos.

Thank you for your support and stay tuned for some really interesting videos being posted shortly on the public youtube channel!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    K5QE and NL7W like this.
  9. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately the Millen wont make it to 160 and the Palstar has too much Minimum C to do a good job on 10 for a wide range of antennas.

Both frequency ends of most tuners are a compromise and it is often easier to modify a tuneable tube amp for the desired results since a Pi Network is actually an impedance matching circuit.

I have modified my amps since the late 60's after being disappointed with a borrowed Drake MN-2000.

Carl

10. KA0KA

Thanks Art, it was fun to start to clear the log-jam of video content accumulating, I do not know if you are a youtube member, if you are check out my page where a lot of great topics are going to illustrated!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOPyqu-ly3yAWd5BQn2Sojg

11. KA0KA

Carl that is 100% correct, if you saw in the video I put some over-lay text indicating that as well. Hard to have it all. I had to just get a tuner done up from scratch to achieve my goals, but everything is a compromise really to some extent.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  12. VK3XXY

VK3XXY Ham Member QRZ Page

quality all the way to the bank , i have a mfj-986 early model , works great but just not as good , James millen quality, i often see the separate roller inductors at ham fest , for a great price .

KA0KA likes this.
  13. W3ICM

W3ICM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

'

Excellent points, Carl. I'm curious about the performance of each tuner in: 1) handling poor SWR antennas; and 2) a simple wire antenna, not necessarily a "long" wire. Opening up the case and showing the capacitors and inductor and their ratings really doesn't tell me much.

Fred

WA1ZMS likes this.
  14. KA0KA

15. KA0KA

I had some additional questions on the application of the lubrication on the roller inductor so here is that video as well if interested, also posted on my youtube channel: