ad: QSLWorks-1

Using FT8 to demonstrate Antenna Orientations

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Oct 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Co-ool!

2. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The Sig report in FT8 takes into account the total received bandwidth. Put a narrow filter over a signal on the bandscope and see the results.

W0PV likes this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of my friends on FT8 are running 1500 watts with good antennas

And that's exactly why I don't work use FT8 at anymore.

W1YW likes this.
  4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve, please let's not go down the "weak signal versus low power debate" on FT8. I would much rather hear more details about your rhombic farm and listen to some recordings of what you hear with all that wire.

One of the Ham Radio commandments is "Thou shalt not covet thy fellow ham's antenna farm"

Well, I have sinned because I am green with envy!

5. WA4NID

WA4NID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ok I'd like to thank KM9G, you have showed how a bunch of antennas can get about the same results!
    It is a useful result. I disagree about the significance of the "areas" in your results since the occurrence
    of data is doubtless much influenced by propagation, random reception, etc. I love it that we can see
    from your experiments that different antennas give similar results, it says to us "put up an antenna,
    any type, and have fun!"

6. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh boy, yet another digital mode.

7. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This post has less info than a FT8 QSO.

M0TTQ and KC3JH like this.
  8. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

5 9 good luck in the contest.

WD4ELG and N3RYB like this.
  9. NQ6B

NQ6B Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't read all 13 pages of comments but some suggest using a Flex radio with a slice connected to each antenna and the output going to two instances of WSJT-X running simultaneously on the same computer. I've used this approach for a couple years and it's been very helpful. You can model your antennas all you want but there's nothing like quantitative measurements of your actual antennas, with all the surrounding hillsides, trees, buildings, etc.

WSPR would be ideal for this but there is a lot more data available on FT8.

If you're interested here's my setup:

I have an SDRPlay Duo, two identical receivers. I connect one antenna to each receiver, run two instances of SDRUno software (SDRPlay's receiver) and run the outputs of each through virtual audio cables to two instances of FT8. In 24 hours on 20 or 40 meters I'll have 20K data points from 2000-3000 stations. I copy off the ALL.TXT files from the WSJT-X instances and run the data through some Python software that I wrote, which breaks the results down by distance and azimuth (since I know the station's grid). I also plot the results on an azimuthal map (downloaded from NS6T).

W0PV and M0TTQ like this.
  10. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Admittedly, I did not read any of this thread, but I am going to comment anyway.

I have a dipole, sloper, and vertical. The performance of each of these antennas depends on many variables that change constantly.
    What one antenna does or does not do changes constantly, as well as which antenna is "best" and "worst".

IMO whatever information gathered in these "experiments" will be irrelevant in a couple days, if not a couple hours.

-Brad

WD4ELG likes this.
  11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct.

The problem,IMO, is that if you point this out, you get attacked and 'cancel cultured'. Oh--and pegged as a 'sociopath' and told not to post until careful self-reflection. Oh--and pegged as a 'delusional narcissist' to boot.

Pretty words with no factual basis. We used to use 4 letter words in ad hominem attacks, now we use psychology gobbledy gook. It's still an ad hominem attack.

Frankly, it comes off as an effort to delete the many in ham radio who value the technical aspect of the service in favor of 'I can do whatever I want AND make amateur science the way I want'. The phrase 'you do ham your way' is an invitation to radio based chaos that is diametrically opposed to Part 97, and indeed, the opposite of what we learn and are supposed to implement via the testing for licensing.

There is a LOT of play in ham radio. But reinventing reality based on ignorance is not part of that.

Thus not only suppression, but an alternate reality predicated on ignorance.

Not a great day for ham radio.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  12. KK1LL

KK1LL Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't quote my post you sociopath.

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not?

Do you not want corroboration on your approach? No one said you had to agree with fact or opinion; but there is a reasonable expectation that you will be civil in your objection. I expressed an opinion and labelled it as such.

Please read the radio amateur's code to understand the magnitude of your offense my friend.

Wishing you the best.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  14. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

SImultaneous RX is a great appra
    Simultaneous RX 's on all antennas is a great approach, as long as you flip the RX/antennas to get them all calibrated to each other:)

Good stuff:)