ad: Mountaingoat-1

Tour the Russian 'Woodpecker' (DUGA): Featured in CNN Travel News

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1YW, Mar 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KK4VRE

KK4VRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of my research on the matter -

Out of Western Russia:
    DUGA-3 (Arc-3) RADAR (TX) system ['Russian Woodpecker' and 'Steel Yard'] 51.305318° 30.065265° (sub-station just outside the perimeter fence)
    DUGA-3 (Arc-3) RADAR (RX) system 51.637762° 30.702823° (sub-station just outside the perimeter fence)
    The 2 above are spread by 35.9 miles, and have the same exact directional axis to each other.

Out of Eastern Russia:
    DUGA-? (Arc-?) RADAR RX system 50.386837° 137.325960° (sub-station just outside the perimeter fence)
    DUGA-? (Arc-?) RADAR RX system 50.892813° 136.835508° (sub-station just outside the perimeter fence)
    The 2 above are spread by 41.1 miles, and have the same exact directional axis to each other.

These 2 systems above 'meet' (converge) near WaKeeney, Kansas at 39.060778° -99.937540°

Out of Ukraine:
    DUGA-1 & DUGA 2 (pointed towards Europe) 47.041420° 32.199278°

KK4VRE

AI3V, W1YW and WQ4G like this.
  2. KK4VRE

The old sub-station was located just outside the facility: 51.303344° 30.072764°
    If you like, you can still follow the transmission line 'cut swatch' back to the reactor plant.
    You should read my other post in this thread.

KA0HCP and WQ4G like this.
  3. IW2DMO

IW2DMO Ham Member QRZ Page

From wikipedia:
    the antenna array usually seen in pictures is the receiving site, located at 51°18′19.06″N 30°03′57.35″E
    the transmitter site is at 51°38′15.98″N 30°42′10.41″E

4. KK4VRE

They got that backwards (RX vs TX).

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I can't count how many ham radio contacts that blasted system wiped out back then... :mad:

Dave
    W7UUU

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I love big in antennas

7. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

That was when it was time to go on 80 and 160 where it didnt operate and the low end of 40 CW was often manageable with a directional antenna. I went from phased verticals to a 4 el 40M KLM (linear loaded and about 10' longer elements than 20M on a 42' boom during its operation and didnt miss much.

Iffn I remember it wasnt on the ham bands during a major contest and other times it could be forced to QSY with the keyer in full dit mode and a little VFO swishing.

Carl

8. K1ZMT

K1ZMT Ham Member QRZ Page

You can watch a very nice video from famous Russian blogger MSH (video has English CC and there is a series of 3 chained videos).

He makes a lot of interesting videos about many post-USSR places like Chernobyl, different abandoned factories, subways. He actually makes pretty good fact discovery about those places.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2019
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

You didn't tell'em what was in Kansas 40 years ago.

It wasn't Toto....or Dorothy.

Never mind the man behind the invisibility cloak (chuckle:))

;-)

For example, this link is interesting....

http://www.548sms.com/missilelocations.htm

I am not sure what info is out there for the post-Atlas days.

The Duga system was designed for asymmetric warfare. That's when the species pushes itself back into the stone age.

My opinion; yours may differ.

Just remember, this is from a country that turned its space shuttle into an ice cream stand (no, NOT the USA!)....lotsa denial of true use.

For those of you who like to look at the ionosphere as a 'national park', don't poo poo this very dangerous use of the electron based magic mirror. Thank God it is history.

The DUGA system was the Soviet's 'Star Wars'.

Most of the US 'big boy toys' are now in Montana, NDak, and Wyoming. Where the buffalo roam...with poor eyesight, purple tongues and attitudes in a 2000 pound muscle bag.

I sleep well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
    AD5HR likes this.
  10. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

to have antenna like this...would I need a building permit? what about aircraft warning lights. with only running 1 watt and the antenna gain, you wouldn't need any sun spots.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't worry about planes....they will fall out of the sky when they enter the main beam....

;-)

12. K6RJO

K6RJO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm glad to see some links to explorations of the antenna.
    There is also youtuber called, "bionerd23" who explored the antenna and some of the neighboring buildings.

13. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Speaking of EW, when I couldn't sleep the other night, I turned on my Grundig FR-200 portable radio. While tuning across the AM BCB, I heard "CQ CONTEST CQ CONTEST - K3LR - KILO THREE LIMA RADIO - CONTEST" on Donald Duck slop bucket.

The human microprocessor took care of BFO duties...

14. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I was on the woodpecker monitoring team that volunteered to monitor and send in info reports . Still have the reporting booklet they sent out at end required reporting period that they wanted, along with the postcard thank you that was sent to us. More info you want, hum...de Jerry kb7aa

KK4VRE likes this.
  15. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of those “toys” are still active in N. Colorado.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.