ad: MLSons-1

The Top 2 Issues EVERY IC-7610 owner needs to check for.

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by VK3BL, Jun 1, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4CAR

KP4CAR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

2. WB0CDY

WB0CDY Ham Member QRZ Page

I just want to add my 7610 to the list of transceivers with severe image retention and washout. This occurred after only two months of use. I have spoken with Icom tech services, and they claim that they are working on a solution, but other than that, the silence from Icom is very troubling...especially since they watch these forums. The most surprising response that I got, however, was from Icom sales: she relayed a message from their Amateur Division director that a screen replaced under warranty would only be guaranteed for 30 days! Further, they can't guarantee that a new screen wouldn't have the same problems as they are blaming the defect on their supplier.

Joe/WB0CDY

SA4BRL likes this.
  3. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"...a screen replaced under warranty would only be guaranteed for 30 days..."
    Any legals on here care to comment on that?

"...they are blaming the defect on their supplier...."
    You bought the rig off Icom, not their supplier. They are in the chair when it comes to problems, unless the law is very different in the USA to over here. If the repair fails again in the same way, then us redcoats have the option of getting our money back....although having the option & getting the supplier to honour it can be a tedious process.

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the law is very different in the US, and essentially up to the manufacturer to be responsible to honor a warranty. No second failure, money-back provisions. Actual recourse would be lawsuit (cost prohibitive), and filing complaints with State Attorney General or state consumer protection agency (lotsa luck).

Threat of loss of future sales and spreading of bad reputation is probably the biggest influence on manufacturers.

5. G3ZPF

G3ZPF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow. Compared to the UK thats a bad situation.....maybe thats why we get higher purchase prices to start with.

6. WD4LAM

WD4LAM Ham Member QRZ Page

Dayton is two weeks away. The 7610 is one of several transceivers I was looking to buy. I'm going to buy something! But after all the YT vids and threads like this highlighting issues with the 7610, makes me want to look at other options and ignore the 7610.

W1BR likes this.
  7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think all radios with a color LCD/OLED display would have this issue, anything persistently displayed is going to cause an issue. But if it doesn't affect operation, and isn't visible while using the radio, is it really an issue?

Is the 7300 better? The TS-990? I would suspect that if left on with the same image, you'll have the same problem.

8. WD4LAM

WD4LAM Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to forget that complaints on the internet can make a product look really bad, when the failure rate is likely less than 1%, if that high. Because searching the internet, you read about the same bad units, multiple times, over and over again.

9. K0MDA

K0MDA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have burn in on my unit. Just placed into service in January after winning the Gigaparts giveaway. I'm waiting to see what ICOM has to say.

10. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

And folks are reporting issues with USB ports on the TS-590. Makes me afraid to buy anything new.

11. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Really Guys, it's ALL ABOUT your OWN personal/allegiance to any one particular equipment MFG outfit!!! I've OWNED MANY since 1962, but with the "State-of-the-Art" NOW in Ham Gear, MOST OF THEM are for all intents and purposes very GOOD!!! Remember back in the "Good Ol'days" when a rig's stability was given in "KCs per hour of DRIFT???", AND now IT'S measured in "PARTS PER MILLION"??? I'd say we HAMS have benefitted HUGELY SINCE THE (GOOD OL'DAYS???) :)

JIM

K7LZR and W8NIC like this.
  12. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have owned several TS-590S and SG transceivers. I always use the USB port to control the radio and have never experienced any problems with regard to the USB interface. I use a direct connection to a PC. If an OP takes a few precautions, like no "hot switching", minimizing potential ESD occurrences, the correct drivers, etc, I cannot see a theoretical reason for a failure.

13. W1BR

W1BR Ham Member QRZ Page

14. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my IC-7610 since January and thus far I haven't had any issue with burn-in. My screen is set to turn off after something like an hour. I may set it for less than that if possible. If I'm actively using the radio, I move the dial more often than once an hour. If I'm just monitoring a freq, I don't need the LCD anyhow.

It will suck if I have a problem with it in the future. That said, I absolutely love the radio.

15. W4LJ

W4LJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course, I also unplug everything on my station when I'm not using it (including the PC). However, I keep the USB cable connected to the radio all the time. A USB port failure would almost have to be caused by an overvoltage condition. Thanks for making me aware of this.