ad: M2Ant-1

Solar Alert - wind speeds of 800 km/s expected

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VE7DXW, Dec 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

On a serious note, I keep my spare FT-891 in steel ammo can, with tuner, string, wire, coax, wire stripper, and a good sharp high grade #2 phillips.
    I might be scorched to a crisp, but the survivors will find a decent HF radio ready for service.

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

... might wipe out QRP ops tomorrow... We'll see.

N6SPP and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL

Might? More like skmoked... Maybe Ill get a light shoe here in Ak.

N6SPP and K6CLS like this.
  4. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

And possibly FT8 too.

5. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously will there be HF blackout or DX improvements? Is there risks to our equipment?

thank you! John

6. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was reading it could get as high as a 3 or a 4 where people across the middle of US might even see the Aurora Borealis.
    Being in MI it could be a spectacular display at my QTH.
    Nice to see the Sun coming back to life and bringing decent band conditions with it. I'm already prepared incase she gets a little too rowdy. I keep backup rigs in a file cabinet and a 1965 Kaiser Willy's CJ5 with the GM Dauntless V6, points ignition, locked Dana 44's and plenty of fuel.

AD5HR likes this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There will probably be an HF blackout later today. But as to risks to equipment, No.

The earth gets hit with CMEs fairly frequently. This is not of the magnitude to cause damage. What it means is that the Sun is coming back to life as we climb out of the sunspot pit we've been stuck in the past couple years!

All of what you're seeing in the thread about wrapping things in foil, ammo cans, and so on, is just sarcasm and banter.

Information and news here: www.spaceweather.com

(on the other hand, if you're prone to conspiracy theories, maybe I'm just saying that so you'll let your guard down... ;))

WQ4G and W7LDG like this.
  8. KG5ZMG

KG5ZMG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well that’s just great... I went to 15 different stores and there’s been a run on aluminum foil and ammo cans! There’s none to be had now!!!

[posted with 1500 watts of sarcasm ;)]

WQ4G, WN0O, K4ZH and 1 other person like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Solar flares degrade toilet paper, so you’d also better pick up more of that before it’s all gone. :D

W4LJ, KG5ZMG and AC1IZ like this.
  10. K8VSY

K8VSY QRZ Lifetime Member #496 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

batten down the hatches!

11. KN6HVU

KN6HVU Ham Member QRZ Page

I found this on https://www.spaceweather.com/

The explosion also hurled a coronal mass ejection (CME) toward Earth. Coronagraph images from the Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO) show a halo CME leaving the sun a few hours after the flare:

NOAA analysts have modeled the storm cloud; their results confirm that it will likely reach Earth during the second half of Dec. 9th. En route to our planet, the CME will scoop up some slower-moving material from an unrelated solar wind stream. The combined impact could spark geomagnetic storms as strong as category G3, although lesser G1- to G2-class storms are more likely.

This is NOT a major space weather event. But after 3 years of uber-quiet Solar Minimum, it is noteworthy. If a strong geomagnetic storm materializes, auroras could be sighted in northern-tier US states from Maine to Montana to Washington.

K8VSY likes this.
  12. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

No reason to worry much even if the polarity is south it won't be that bad. Just some usual disruptions. Yes the magnetic field is weak but still there. should be good for HF though and that's fine.

13. W9VTT

W9VTT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

nonsense

14. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

As others replied, no risks to electronics, could be mild HF blackout...

And perhaps a little enhancement (and noise), later, after things settle down. Listen around the bands tomorrow, Thursday.

Try running WSPR today and tomorrow, and check your RX map every few hours. Should be interesting.

15. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

I accidentally sent the wrong graph - sorry for the inconvenience. This is the correct one.
    First storm was picked up by the RF-Seismograph from 19:00 UTC to 06:00 UTC on 80 m, on 40 m, and on 20 m from 23:00 UTC to 06:00UTC.
    Also mot the noise increase on 15 m between 03:00 UTC and 07:00 UTC.

[​IMG]
    A