ad: Radclub22-1

QSO Today with Michelle Thompson - W5NYV on Amateur Satellites

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Dec 14, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2020-12-14_9-45-38.png
    Michelle Thompson, W5NYV, is a third generation amateur, beginning her ham radio journey in elementary school. Her interest in microwave circuit design and computers led her to a successful engineering career and now a board member of AMSAT. Michelle is an advocate for open source applied to satellite design fueling future generations of amateur spacecraft. W5NYV is my QSO Today.

JF1IRQ, N4FZ, WE4B and 2 others like this.
  2. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

EXCELLENT

3. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

michelle thompson greeting you have greet qso vy73 djoaj ekrem

4. DJ0AJ

4z5ug eric have nice weekend vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

5. DJ0AJ

MICHELLE THOMPSON suckses fully vy73 DJOAJ ekrem wish all the best

6. DJ0AJ

W5NYV . manny suckses yv73 djoaj ekrem michelle tompson sincerely

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

'Open source' on satellite design , for some, is a huge disincentive to enhance the wireless art in space. That's because the huge fixed costs of space qualification and launch are so high, that there is no way, under that premise, to either recover costs, nor to 'spin off' for other non-sat applications. It's not a question of 'greed', but access to capital, given the inability to pay for the innovation.

'Open source' works well in situations where the predominant costs are sweat equity, and especially when the mode is software.

Now if you can get a FREE ride on a rocket, then the option makes sense. But with more and more small sats coming up, and launchers going out of business (Vector in particular comes to mind--maybe they will survive a 'reboot') the 'free rides' will become less numerous.

MO.

I am glad we have Michelle's perspective, which is a valuable one, but there are others that arise in the amateur and professional arena as well,with sats and wireless.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
    KO4DNM and HB9EPC like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a way to succeed at 'debris mitigation' (below). Michelle discusses the challenges of 'debris mitigation' in the podcast.

This arose from earlier amateur radio innovation in fractal antennas. It's not 'debris' if you know what it is, and where it is.

A 'free' non-exclusive offer of use from a non-open source enterprise was made with AMSAT under the prior president, which went away after AMSAT did not follow up. Same thing on a sat antenna design.

Chip W1YW

US Patent Application for Satellite Orbital Monitoring and Detection System Using Fractal Superscatterer Satellite Reflectors (FSR) Patent Application (Application #20200212587 issued July 2, 2020) - Justia Patents Search

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    WE4B likes this.
  9. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

Unfortunately, this is the status quo for AMSAT-NA. It's a shame that AMSAT-NA will not take advantage of such generous offers. It is going to take the membership to install leadership that will work for the benefit of the members in these situations. Until that happens, members will hear reports such as this and will continue to lose out on opportunities.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

A shame when so many bright people have artificial barriers to moving forward!

Michelle strikes me as a person who I would enjoy working with, for example.

Chip W1YW

KF4ZKU, WA9JBQ, W0PV and 1 other person like this.
  11. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

She's a great person and not afraid to speak her mind. I am proud to consider her a friend and someone that I look-up to when it comes to technical knowledge, tenacity and just a fun person to interact with. ORI is a member society of AMSAT-NA but AMSAT-NA refuses to take part in anything that ORI does. It's quite a shame and, because of this, AMSAT-NA misses-out on a lot of resources that they could easily take advantage of.

KD9LTQ, K4FMH, WD9EWK and 1 other person like this.
  12. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I listened to the entire podcast. There was a blatant falsehood that AMSAT leadership rejects Open Source development. Ms. Thompson's statement "The majority of leadership wants it [development] to remain closed, proprietary, and not open." is a fabrication. It doesn't matter how many time she says this or creates unnecessary rebuttals from ORI, it does not become truth. I've not met one leader of AMSAT that says "no" to Open Source. There is no AMSAT policy, written or otherwise, refusing Open Source development.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2020
    K5YDD likes this.
  13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

AMSAT is a great organization with a history of progress. I am sure that perceived or real disagreements can and will be resolved for the good of the cause:)

G7DAZ and W5PFG like this.
  14. N1DUN

N1DUN Ham Member QRZ Page

"It's not 'debris' if you know what it is, and where it is."

Sorry to say Chip, that no matter how many times I tell my better half "..but I know where everything is"...it's still a mess.

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Look at it this way by analogy: attach a TILE to those dirty socks....

;-)