ad: M2Ant-1

QRZ Callsign Database Policy Change

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

And, if you were a serious DXer, a subscription to the DX Bulletin was also mandatory for DXpedition info and QSLing. That puppy wasn't cheap, either.

Bill

2. AB8XA

AB8XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, Fred! I refuse to use apps that access QRZ via methods other than XML, and I'm always logged into the website when I do web lookups. Your actions make it better for me.

3. G8BNE

G8BNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I appreciate the need to support the advertisers but there do not appear to be any from outside the USA!
    Unless I was desperate the delay and cost involved in trading with them is a major disadvantage.

G8BNE

4. K2DN

K2DN Ham Member QRZ Page

For those that think that there should be a FREE top notch callsign lookup database, GO MAKE ONE!
    After you spend your time and effort making it work, we will see if you still want to make it free.

5. KB9HGI

KB9HGI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

60.00 a year I don't think so sounds a little steep to me should be more like 39.99 I guess I will have to go elsewhere and lookup callsigns. Qrz.com is not the only databaseand they are just pulling this info free from the FCC.

6. WO5T

WO5T Guest

Thanks for keeping QRZ functioning well. Am I one of those "stealth" users if I use
    Ham Radio Delux HRD with you looking up the callsigns? If so, I will turn it off.

7. KD4CSO

KD4CSO Ham Member QRZ Page

Would someone please clue me in how I can read the announcement? Anywhere I click in there takes me to the top of this forum. (Same with the rest of the announcements. I read about 4 lines, and then nada.) Thanks. Arthur, KD4CSO

8. K9TLP

K9TLP Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep up the great work.

9. NC8X

NC8X Ham Member QRZ Page

"For those that think that there should be a FREE top notch callsign lookup database, GO MAKE ONE!
    After you spend your time and effort making it work, we will see if you still want to make it free. "

I understand that Google is working on doing a callsign database search engine and i am sure it will be just like there search engine and supported by adds. So soon there may be another option.

10. W2THU

W2THU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perfectly understandable and fair to all Fred. Tnx for maintaining this valuable reource!

11. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ.com is a fantastic ham resource and I commend Fred Lloyd and all who keep it current. I cannot imagine ham radio without this website. I encourage all users to subscribe to at least the lowest level. The website requires resources and there is no free ride or lunch in life.Scott, K0MD

12. K8WDX

K8WDX Ham Member QRZ Page

QRZ look ups

No you do not have to pay....., you just have to register, once you are registered, open QRZ, put in your user name and password, when it opens, make your browser remember, and the rest is history... BTW the XML subsription is 29.95 for one year. less than what you buy your coffee for. Why does everyone always want something for nothing??? Is this the value you put on something that you will miss greatly because your to cheap to support a nice convience like this one??? I say only let access to those who pay, after all it is a service, if you complain about this, call your high speed internet provider and complain about the $40 a month just to be able to access the internet!!! It's like to old sying goes would you like some cheese to with your wine..

13. N0JEF

N0JEF Ham Member QRZ Page

more than fair - but then I subscribe...

14. NN4F

NN4F Ham Member QRZ Page

The XML plus ad-free subscription is only $39.99 not $60.00, plus, it is not just FCC, that would be US hams only, what about the rest of the world, not everyone is listed via the FCC... All the DX stations list themselves on here, fred may get feeds from some countries like he does from the FCC i'm not sure. I for one applaud his change, and began subscribing today...

Paul

15. WY3X

WY3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Why would Fred offer free database lookup to non-registered folks?

I'm glad Fred decided to make everyone register to use the callsign lookup- that only makes sense.

As far as ads on the website- my opinion is this, and nothing is going to change it: I run ad-blocking
    software that I pay for on my computer. I expect it to notch out all advertising. Whether a website
    uses ads to help provide monetary income to support their website is not my problem. I pay for my
    computer, I pay for my internet connection, and I feel I have the right to control what does and doesn't
    come up on my monitor. Websites are freely placed on the internet for others to view unless it is a
    pay site. I don't buy PPV movies, and I'm sure not going to buy PPV internet website access. I support
    Fred's website by purchasing a database subscription. Honestly, I will never get my money's worth out
    of it but the website does entertain me, and that is where my value resides. I only bought the database
    subscription because I feel obligated to Fred who spends many, many hours keeping this website up,
    which I do use. Fred's work DOES have value, and we should support him for what he does for us! But-
    if it comes down to my being required to display ads on my PC as a condition of being a member of QRZ,
    I would probably drop my membership. I have not purchased anything in the last 25+ years based on an
    ad I saw on the internet, and I'm not about to start now. I absolutely despise advertising, and even mute
    the audio when it's on my television.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.