ad: elecraft

HR2.0 - Ham Radio Antennas | Base Station Antennas - What Do The YouTubers Use? YTB #19

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Sep 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Got more decent equipment from Layfeyette back in the day. Radio Shack was always bottom of the barrel whether it be radios or parts. After they killed the competition they ignored their core and concentrated on joe consumer. they killed themselves.

2. K7CB

K7CB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think my "beef" with all of this is that I used to visit eHam and QRZ to read articles of interest...QRZ seems to have become a place to simply post links to someone else's sponsored (i.e. paid) content. If they're making money from their YouTube channel - great. But I just feel there's no need to post link after link after link to their videos on sites such as this to increase their viewership which then increases their profit. eHam doesn't do it...which is something I still like about the site, although some other changes have been made that I don't like so much.

N3FAA, N1IPU, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  3. K7CB

Whether homemade or commercial bought doesn't really matter to me. What does matter to me is that - while I can't say for certain, it seems these guys get a lot of things given to them or they get big discounts based on the number of radios, antennas, other devices, etc that they have in their shack and post reviews of because, let's face it - this hobby isn't exactly the cheap.

N3FAA, KC5HWB, N1IPU and 1 other person like this.
  4. K7CB

That's EXACTLY what I'm growing to NOT like about QRZ...the increasing number of links to these YouTube channels. I find some informative...but the ones I find informative are the ones who DON'T have nearly daily YouTube links posted on this site. How did I find those videos if they aren't posted here? A quick search on YouTube itself. To me - a lot of the "unboxing" videos don't really tell you much and posting them here seems like nothing more than an attempt to garner more views. I also have to wonder where they find the time to make all these videos. I work a full time job and certainly don't have that kind of time...otherwise I'd be doing it. The thing I also really don't get is people watching videos of OTHER people playing video games. But it must be highly lucrative considering the lavish lifestyles these people have. It would seem the same can be said about the videos here because I've noticed over time the number of daily/weekly videos has increased and the equipment seen in the background has gotten better and better. I'm certainly not saying they can't do it so don't get me wrong on that. I just choose not to watch them...preferring instead to search for whatever information I need.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    N3FAA, G7DAZ, N1IPU and 2 others like this.
  5. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine on the internet. So people go there specifically TO search for information. Some of the information there is good, and some is not. (I'm with you on the gaming thing, but to each his own, I say) It isn't the only place to search and find info, but it is certainly a place that you should be using.

Everyone has the same amount of time in a day that everyone else has. Where you put your time is your choice. I choose to do that I love to do, which is make videos and tell people about Amateur Radio and how fun and useful it can be. I don't watch TV, I don't watch sports, I don't waste time at night sitting on the couch. There is nothing wrong with those things, but if you are wondering where the time comes from, that is one place.

The fact that Ham Radio is growing, and people are going to YouTube (and yes, other places too) in order to learn about Ham Radio, should be exciting to anyone who wants to see the hobby thrive. It doesn't mean you have to support and agree with everything that someone else (on or off of YouTube) says, but it should be noted that most of us who make Ham Radio videos and put them on YouTube don't do it to get rich and famous, we do it because we love the hobby. If I wanted to be rich and famous, I can find 100 other topics to talk about on YouTube which people have actually heard of.

And that is the honest truth. I'll type this here and some folks might come along and tell me I am wrong or I am being dishonest, but this is the truth. And when I am honest about why I do what I do, and people still don't believe me, it causes me to wonder why I try explaining.

6. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

You have a choice you know... don't click on them! QRZ is supposed to be a forum full of information beneficial for amateurs. YouTube videos are yet another way of sharing the knowledge here, on QRZ, the platform that people go to and discuss. Your comment is null and void. 73

WB5THT likes this.
  7. W5CJA

W5CJA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's fun watching a group circle the wagons.

WN1MB and N1IPU like this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not really a matter of choice when 9 times out of ten its the same group posting these videos. They flood the QRZ page. One of them had seven videos on the main page just a week or two ago. These guys bombarding QRZ keep the real information off the page or chase it down off the page quickly. Thing is they have a forum already which is youtube so posting here over and over is just a push for click counts. I can see posting occasionally here but the non stop dominating the page is ridiculous and anyone with an even slight critical thought knows what they are up to an why.

N3FAA, G7DAZ, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  9. KR3DX

KR3DX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that's what I and, apparently, many others believe it SHOULD be. But, it is whatever the website owner WANTS it to be, it's his website, he pays the bills. If he wants to feature mostly lame videos and podcasts of low information on the homepage and bury good technical articles and announcements deeply within the "back pages", that's his business. Just my opinion.

N3FAA, G7DAZ and N1IPU like this.
  10. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I guess it's just me but I learn by, and find enjoyment in, reading. I have watched a few youtube videos, mostly about fly fishing, but I find them usually slow (so I almost always bump the playback speed up to 1.25 or 1.5) and I usually don't have the patience to sit and wait for the presenter to get to the point. My wife on the other hand watches a fair number of YT videos and finds them informative. Books don't require any electricity or internet connection to enjoy. Whatever floats your boat.

KZ4TN

WN1MB, KR3DX and KC5HWB like this.
  11. G7DAZ

G7DAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen brother....exact and to the point...couldn't have said it better myself ;)

K8JHR, VE3GCX and KR3DX like this.
  12. K8JHR

K8JHR Ham Member QRZ Page

" But, it is whatever the website owner WANTS it to be, it's his website, he pays the bills.

----------------------------------------------

No, I think Subscribers pay the bills. And I suspect it adds up to a fairly substantial sum. Play with the math. Let's assume just for a moment 35,000 subscribers pay $30. That would yield more than a million bucks, and that does not include advertising dollars from GoogleAds and ham radio vendors, and other fees - pretty soon it adds up to serious folding money. I suppose customers (subscribers) pay the bills, as in most businesses. And, my only regret is I did not think of it first ! K8JHR

G7DAZ and KR3DX like this.
  13. MARCIUS1963

MARCIUS1963 QRZ Member

I'm a citizen band operator and I build all of my ownnantenna's from wire.
    My mentor a silent key was a extra class operator once told me that a wire antenna could tx/rx better than any commercial made aluminum antennas on the market past, present, future when its built correctly.

KC5HWB likes this.
  14. MARCIUS1963

MARCIUS1963 QRZ Member

15. NA5GA

NA5GA Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't it interesting that so many guys always have something negative to say -- or "mine is bigger, faster, newer, older, slower, uglier, better looking - or something than yours". Believe it or not, some people have restrictions due to an HOA or a minor budget issue. We aren't here to compete with each other on forums -- that happens on the air :) Let's just play nice and learn from others when the opportunity is presented.