ad: M2Ant-1

HR2.0 DXMini Pi-Star Hotspot for Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC5HWB, Dec 17, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA7F

WA7F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not really. Most HF transceivers are “compatible” since they support AM, FM and SSB.

Anyway, if I bought into digital now I would undoubtedly buy the protocol that doesn’t make the cut. So I’ll wait for the industry to get it together and pick a standard before taking the plunge. If we don’t voice our opinions and concerns then nothing will ever change.

2. KD5BVX

KD5BVX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You'll likely be waiting a long time then. I highly, highly doubt this will happen. Too many reasons for it not to. But whatever :D

3. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree you'll probably be dead before there is a single digital voice standard. I've taken the "collect 'em all" approach, have HT's for DMR, D-Star and Fusion. With the right hotspot (OpenSpot and maybe some others) it's possible to do cross-mode between Fusion and DMR and I believe there are rooms that can interconnect with D-Star as well so it may be possible to bridge to those although I haven't tried it.
    It's all about what toys you want to play with, some are really into this and others couldn't care less.

KD5BVX likes this.
  4. K2VHW

K2VHW Ham Member QRZ Page

What I personally would appreciate is more work done to 'integrate' the multiple digital modes.....D-Star/DMR/C4FM to make it all ''interoperable". Absent the 'interoperability of digital, and even more so for voice emcomm, analog is still practical and universal. Of course there is always the need for digital data in emergency situations for 3rd party needs.

G3SEA likes this.
  5. W5JCK

W5JCK Ham Member QRZ Page

LOL! You would have more luck trying to drive a heard of 1,000 cats from south Texas to Kansas along the Chisholm Trail than you would with that! AARL is an impotent organization, especially when it comes to dealing with radio manufacturers who will use whatever digital protocol they want to.

6. AE5GT

AE5GT Ham Member QRZ Page

That only took about 20 years and several competing systems CTC-16 , Dynatrol...... ect, and theres still just plain old block control.

As far I know , in Amatuer Radio , all the manufacturers use the same core audio codec , Its only the transport protocol thats different ?. Its not in their (Yaesu , Kenwood, Icom...) best interest to have a standard. With a standard the low cost producer will win out (chinese) .By having their own protocol they each effectively maintain a monopoly for that system. Even if the ARRL came up with a standard , its still not in the interest of non chinese manufacturers to adopt it , the ARRL would be wasting its time. The only way to force the issue is though the FCC with a federal standard.

Its a a lot easier to get model manufactures to adopt a standard on electronics ,their not in that buisness so its no cost to them , they just want to know what to buy to stick in their product. For electronic manufactures adopting a standard is tantamout to telling them ...we're going to take your market share away and give it to the chinese. Its no longer a manufactured product , its a commodity (one is just as good as another) . Can you imagine if they had a standard for cellphones , all a certain width certain height , same button layout , you think Apple would sit still for that ? They dont even have a standard communication protocol , well they do , but theres more than one ! Even when they had a standard theres nothing stopping someone from comming out with another standard ! For cells they had about 3 or 4 at one time.

In the end , it wont matter much DMR will probably win out over Dstar and Fusion ? . The chinese manufactures will be able to make it so cheap it will be like UV8r s every licensed op will have two dozen , and if they dont have a license to use it they'll have 3 dozen ,regardless of who says what. and it will become the defacto standard. And therein lyes the fundamental reason why the ARRL probably wouldn't do it even if they could.

7. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

There are several Echolink RF Conference Nodes that integrate DMR, DSTAR, FUSION.

IMHO A fully modulated NBFM signal sounds more natural than any of the above three systems.

G3SEA/KH6