ad: CQMM-1

How ham radio made me a better drone pilot

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by N2RJ, Dec 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In this video I talk about how ham radio helped me pass the Part 107 knowledge test and how it has rekindled my interest in aviation. If you're interested in learning about getting your sUAS certificate or have interest in drones you'll probably find some of this interesting.

Attached Files:

K0UO, AA5BK, N0JZQ and 2 others like this.
  2. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Tnx OM. A few years ago I took a home study Part 107 course and enjoyed it immensely, then passed my Part 107 exam. Learned a lot about meteorology, air spaces, map reading, airport layout, FAA regulations, aero jargon, how to decode aeronautical b'casts, navigational systems, etc. As a ham it was the perfect adjunct to ham radio since drones use two way radio to control them. And it reminded me of when I first became a ham 40+ years ago. There are many parallels.

I let my pilot certification lapse though due to the cost of retaking the exam and the lack of space to fly my drone, but don't regret in the least since I learned huge amount of material. And to boot I wrote an article about drones in a magazine last year and hopefully inspired others.

AA5BK likes this.
  3. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff! I love to learn. One of the things that got me back into amateur radio where SDRs. Although I did not have all that much interest in aviation, this has become one of my favorite pastimes. "RECEIVE ADS-B USING SDRPLAY / DUMP1090 / VIRTUAL RADAR SERVER". Its also wonderful to see amateur radio has advanced someone in their professional life as well. My wife was listening and she was most impressed. We have always been supporters of woman in STEM.