ad: UR5CDX-1

FCC ISSUES SIGNIFICANT RULE CHANGES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously, there is a problem with reading plain English. The web site does NOT say, state, or even imply that any repeaters are down.

It says that (in September) a controller issue was being worked (though not on which repeater), that the 220 MHz machine was up, and that the 900 MHz machine would be up shortly.

You are caught in you own trap again :)

2. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Comparing Network and/or file and/or computer "security" and the related PRIVACY programs to Strategic and Diplomatic level cryptography is like comparing a small town bank with a 100 year-old vault and the local sheriff's brother as a "guard" to Fort Knox. Though they both have the same basic elements, there is a SLIGHT difference in the effort required to break into them.

I am truly sorry that some lack the ability to understand the difference. Perhaps that is one reason why the trade secrets of many U.S. businesses are so readily available to domestic and foreign industrial espionage. When you "protect" the transmission, but miserable fail to protect the physical environment, you have wasted the time and money spent on "telecommunications security". It is much easier to steal the information than to break even the "Privacy" programs.

Because of poor implementation of the REQUIRED physical security and access controls, most "telecommunications security" offers (to quote the title of my article, which was also the title of my presentation at the NASA-sponsored Technology for Information Security Conference) only An Illusion of Secrecy .

3. WB3DJL

WB3DJL Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Thanks Jim, K4JF. Guess I better get the study material out and get busy.

4. KC9GUZ

KC9GUZ QRZ Member

I cetainly hope and pray that the CW test is never eliminated. Yes it helps keeps the rif raff off of the HF bands but I must say one thing. if they do eliminate the requirement i dont see the bands turning into a big CB band. For one thing most of the die hard CB ops i know wouldnt give a guy .002 cents to be a ham! They just dont like ham radio and hams. Most of the CBers i know that did get their tech ticket dont even get on the air! And most if not all of them have ZERO interest in learning CW and passing the test.

I was a CBer for 15 years and back in 2004 i took the tech test and passed it with one take as well as the written general a year later and the CW test this summer all in one take. I studied for several months prior to taking the CW test and found it to be a breeze at 5 WPM. IMHO i think it needs to be higher like 10 wpm but thats JMHO. 5 WPM is too slow. As far as CB is concerned ive never gone back to 11 meters and i dont forsee it ever happening.

5. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good for you. And, by the way, you will find that it is worth the effort.

6. KD5ZER

KD5ZER Guest

Has this showed up in the Federal Register yet?

7. K4JF

K4JF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nope.  Not yet. (as of 10 Nov)

Update: I understand posted 15 Nov. Therefore effective 15 December. Have fun!

8. AE4TM

AE4TM Ham Member QRZ Page

Steve,

Nicely said. I would also add that some in this forum would also prefer that Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, etc fully disclose their DSP SSB digital processing programs to the world in order that "SSB remain legal when using DSP."

Unlike some, I agree that these SSB voice enhancement programs, although not fully disclosed to all, are legal as does the FCC.

Ed AE4TM

9. AA5GO

AA5GO Ham Member QRZ Page

If you spent as much time studying as you do whinning about doing away with cw you would of passed along time ago. You something for nothing people need to realize that when people still don't get into the hobby after removing all the requirements the government will sell off our frequencies anyways. It will have to be something worth being apart of and glorified cb is not. Leave the code alone!

10. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

That argument was already proposed to the FCC and soundly rejected.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.