ad: QSLWorks-1

Episode 350 - Larry Tyree N6TR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, May 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

upload_2021-5-10_10-58-0.png
    Episode 350 - Larry Tyree N6TR

Larry Tyree, or "Tree", as he is known in amateur radio circles, loves to operate contests, work DX on 160 meters, from his 28 hilltop acres in the Oregon forest, near Portland. Tree is a serious CW operator, where good antenna design, focus, skill, and patience bring the amateur radio rewards. Tree tells his ham radio story in this QSO Today.

KC5OMC, K4BG, VE6JY and 4 others like this.
  2. K3SX

K3SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As a devoted addict of 160 Meters, with 285 worked and confirmed, I very much enjoyed this interview with Tree. He has been a real proponent of the Top Band! Thanks Eric, 73 Sid K3SX

HB9EPC and K0UO like this.
  3. K0MD

K0MD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It was an interesting interview to say the least.

HB9EPC and K0UO like this.
  4. N7RD/SK2023

N7RD/SK2023 Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This was very interesting, enjoyed very much. CW for ever.

N7KO and K0UO like this.
  5. W7ZRC

W7ZRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Great interview! I loved Tree's TR Logger back in the DOS days. CW forever! W7ZRC

N7KO and K0UO like this.
  6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Great guy!

K0UO likes this.
  7. NY4I

NY4I QRZ Lifetime Member #487 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Tree mentioned TRLog which I used way back when as well. Just in case anyone is interested, we still have a version of TRLog that runs as a complete Windows application called TR4W. It is now an open source project hosted on GitHub with many users all over the world. It was ported to a Windows app many years ago and has now been maintained as free, open-source software. If you were a TRLog user, the look and feel will be very similar.

You can find more information and download the software at https://tr4w.net

de NY4I

NG7M likes this.
  8. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tree is a very good operator, someone to emulate. He has always had a huge and clean signal on 160 meters.

9. W1RC

W1RC Subscriber QRZ Page

“Tree” was one of the principal organizers of the WRTC2014 which brought the world’s premier contest event to New England. That was an unforgettable event.

4Z1UG likes this.
  10. JA2MBB

JA2MBB Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to meet you. My name is HARU.
    QRZ.COM has just recently registered to be a CW beginner .
    I live in town 300Km west of Tokyo .
    Please contact me when we meet in the sky.

11. JA2MBB

JA2MBB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm sorry ,the text was overlapping.

12. N7VS

N7VS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have known "Tree" for many years, and he has always been nice to me. He is a "superstar" in the contesting game, but is very humble. I very much enjoyed listening to the interview. I am surprised that he owns a 75A2 rather than a 75A4. I used a Central Electronics 100V and a 75A4 when I attended Pasadena City College, W6BAB, in the 60's. FT4, and FT8, is turning out to be a godsend to people who are restricted in what kind of station they can have. These modes also allow one to work stations that one would be unable work otherwise. Amateur radio is not merely a hobby. If it was, we would be unable to justify our frequencies. "Tree" has done more than his share of giving back to amateur radio. For example he was very involved in the World Championship Radiosporting direction finding games held in metro Portland a few years back. My hat is also to "QSO Today. Well done, and keep up the good work.

Steve Brandt N7VS