ad: QSLWorks-1

Eos: Amateur Radio Operators Help Fill Earthquake Donut Holes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K6OLI, Feb 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K6OLI

K6OLI Ham Member QRZ Page

"Ham radio networks gear up to provide real-time, on-the-ground information about earthquake shaking and damage when other communication pathways are knocked out of commission."

The full article is available here:

https://eos.org/science-updates/amateur-radio-operators-help-fill-earthquake-donut-holes

Like and share the tweet

https://twitter.com/AGU_Eos/status/1363862372155338757

Eos: Earth and space science news and analysis from AGU. Coverage of earth, planets, geology, atmosphere, volcanoes, climate and natural disasters. Eos is the science news magazine published by AGU for a broad audience that includes the worldwide scientific community and the science-engaged public. https://eos.org/

[​IMG]

M1WML and VK3SQ like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

As Zippy sez:"I've never been more attracted to a bakery product!"

All kidding aside, this is clear recognition that when all else fails, hams are the one communicators left.

W8KIC, K6OLI and M1WML like this.
  3. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Huh?

M1WML and N6FBA like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Gee, all they did was conduct a survey AFTER the "disaster" calmed down, and then use Winstink to distribute the info.

BTY, look at the OP's biography info.

M1WML, W6MQI, N3FAA and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

When I lived in southern California we had a very active Earthquake Net on two meters (it's probably still active). Many hams had the frequency programmed into their radios as a priority channel and as soon as a shaker was felt they would hit the priority button and report in to the NET. Most of the net members had somewhere in their home a pendulum which would begin swinging during and earthquake. The routine was for each station to report their estimation of the power of the shake, whether it was a lateral or up/down shake and the direction of the pendulum swing. By plotting all the pendulum directions on a map we were able to pin point the epicenter well before CalTach put out the information. We got pretty good at estimating the strength as well.

N8FM, KQ9I, M1WML and 10 others like this.
  6. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

:)

K6OLI likes this.
  7. K9GLS

K9GLS Guest

A solution desperately looking for a problem...

8. KN4USA

KN4USA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So you are saying that ham radio is not useful in these situations? What is your point here?
    Much better than waiting for the problem and wanting to know why we were not prepared for it...

9. WB3GVT

WB3GVT Ham Member QRZ Page

I actually got an unsolicited DYFI report once. I'd gotten up early went into the shack and turned on 20 m. While listening I heard a station, whose call I wish I could remember, come on freq. announce himself as being in Northridge, Ca. He said we are having a major quake I'm probably going to lose power. At that I rushed into the other room to see it being shown on CNN. Don't know who that ham was, but it would be great to hear that he'd survived, and perhaps good for him to know somebody actually heard him.
    73 de wb3gvt