ad: elecraft

Echolink Saves a life

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8YCZ, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N8QK

N8QK Ham Member QRZ Page

I want to start out by saying great job guys [​IMG] !!! You really showed what are "hobby" is all about, helping out others and new age technology,I'm all for moving forward.God bless and 73

2. N8QK

N8QK Ham Member QRZ Page

I know it's kinda early but has anyone heard from g4wdi and is he doing well?

3. M3KCK

M3KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob,
    You are correct in your thinking and after reading the Posts here I will take a sabbatical,
    I guess some Amateurs do not know how to conduct themselves on or off the Wireless?[​IMG]
    Regards,
    Andrew M3KCK

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Social etiquette does seems to be a problem in America these days.

Monkey behavior seems to be the norm.

5. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Teddy Kennedy is proof of that.

6. KB3GUZ

KB3GUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

PC to PC voice and text communication using Echo Link clearly does not use or require “Amateur Radio.”  However, Echo Link is a means to connect distant, low-power Amateur radios and repeaters via the Internet.  The wireless portion of the connection uses Amateur Radio frequencies and is subject to Amateur Radio regulations.  Therefore, the wireless portion of the connection is Amateur Radio in every respect.

The Echo Link system works similar to the way the cell phone network works.  Much of the wireless cell phone equipment is connected to, and the voice content travels over the wired telephone network.  I’ve never heard anyone claim that cell phone technology isn’t a wireless technology.

By the way, the PC to PC voice and text communication features of Echo Link are added benefits that only licensed Amateurs get to use (to the extent that this can be controlled by the developers).  Consequently, it could be argued that these aspects of Echo Link are also Amateur Radio.

I guess it depends on your definition of Amateur Radio.  As for me, Echo Link fits my definition of Amateur Radio fine.

7. WA8BZC

WA8BZC Ham Member QRZ Page

So what! Telephones do too. Echolink as far as I am concerned isn't ham radio. Radiate a real signal and you mught be a ham.

By the way can I get dxcc using my cell phone? That's radio too, isn't it.

8. KF4VGX

KF4VGX Ham Member QRZ Page

You have it all wrong, these are not  *mught* hams.

These Amateurs are license by the FCC,therefore they are Amateurs.
    They respectfully carry their FCC license in their possessions the same as you do. They do " Radiate a real signal" each time they transmit over RF links or repeaters.

By the way can I get dxcc using my cell phone? That's radio too, isn't it.

If you like ,Go for it !.  However we could care less to .

9. 4S7RO

4S7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Guys (and Gals) I am trying to work DXCC on Phone. Please mail me your LL no. and I will call you over the "wires" (short path). QSL 100% [​IMG]

My "Wireless" Callsign is 4S7RO:

10. M3KCK

M3KCK Ham Member QRZ Page

Still talking echo link I see?

I guess is does not matter the Topic of the Thread and the Point that a fellow Amateurs Life was Saved and is still Recovering!

But I guess this is of No interest to some on here but just the Opportunity to Bash echo link!!

How Very Sad Indeed,
    Enough Said.

11. W0NMJ

W0NMJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have read this thread from the first post till now. I have a couple thoughts. First off let me say job well done to the people involved who saved the mans live. Way to go!!
    For those of you who have nothing better to do then to bash echolink and squabble if it is true ham radio or not. Find something else to do..  Is there some one holding a gun to your head telling you to use Echolink?? I think not.. Just like if there is a tv program on that you don't like.. You can change the channel!! There is no one telling you you have to use it. It is not causing you physical harm or anything.. Geez.. To think you people have nothing better to do then go on for days over something as stupid (as in arguing the point to death) as this.. If you have so much energy to spare to gripe about this.. Why not direct your energy to something a little more useful.. Go donate your time somewhere where it could be put to better use.. Go save a whale or go plant trees..

Again good job to all involved!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.