ad: CQMM-1

Data modes help for the Xiegu G90

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, May 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

Logopit_1588662051958.jpg

K0VMX, MW1CFN, K8XG and 5 others like this.
  2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Very Nice Julian. Since I have 3 signal links already I ordered the Special 8 pin G90 cable from TigerTronics. It is setup to work with the jumper settings for 6-pin radios so my setups for my FT-891,FT818 should work fine.

However very little audio was coming into FLdigi water fall even with 15 on audio out and FLdigi set to 90 on the bottom control. For the benefit of others I had to use jumper JP2 inside the Signal link to boost the audio and with a setting of 75 in FLdigi the waterfall is getting the same level of signal that was observed on the FT891.

I also run FLrig for Multi-Mode , FLdigi, JS8, other programs all at the same time with Pulse Audio on the Raspberry Pi.

I am going to look at that interface you use here, it seems it has lower db ratings for weak signal work.
    https://www.g4zlp.co.uk/unified/DM_MiniPro_SC.htm

What data cable radio did you chose to work with the G90?

KF6IF, MW1CFN, KC5HWB and 2 others like this.
  3. OH8STN

Thanks for the awesome feedback and kindness.
    I had to send an email to ask for the G90 cable for the miniprosc. It wasnt any more expensive, he just had not added it to the website yet. he said several g9 cables had been delivered already. Being quite blind, letting him make that cable was a geeat deal.

I wish I would have included this in the video, but forgot. I had a JS8Call qso with a station in the Phillipines with the G90, JS8 slow mode, 1700hz filter setting from my home station. That was pretty insane. Honestly would not have thought it possible.
    thanks again and be safe.

Julian oh8stn

KC5HWB and K8XG like this.
  4. MW1CFN

MW1CFN Ham Member QRZ Page

Very nice video, as always. Definitely a market for more explanatory videos like this.

Accepting the 'what you think doesn't matter' spirit of things, nevertheless, it would be slightly easier and tidier for in/out volume control from/to the rig to use the alternative version of the ZLP interface that includes manual controls for each of those on its front panel.

Maybe I missed it, but is the G90 a rig worth considering?

73 de MW1CFN

OH8STN likes this.
  5. MW1CFN

Do look at that site (and the units with manual volume controls), because it's an outstanding interface line-up. You are right about the low noise circuit. When I put time aside for 24/7 listening on WSPR, I am always in the top 10, and can reach number 1 globally. Also super-reliable interface, worked here for 8 years without a hitch thus far.

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

It's definitely personal preference. From experience incoming signal levels rarely need to be changed on the audio interface once the software is set up correctly. It is the outgoing audio from our own computer into the radio, which needs to be adjusted for zero ALC, depending on our output power, the band we're using,... This can be done right on the slider in wsjt-x, js8call, or fldigi. I also try to keep things as pragmatic as possible for field communications. Avoiding all of the fiddly bits makes things easier to manage.
    It's definitely nice having different options though.
    Julian oh8stn

7. OH8STN

I totally agree with this. All interfaces are not made the same. I've promoted these cheap USB sound cards as an alternative for budget-minded operators. However, recently I've discovered my zlp can decode much weaker signals, than my sabrent USB audio dongle. I suspect we normally don't notice this, because we're operating strong stations. Doing some really weak signal DX work with JS8Call slow mode, really puts things in perspective. I wish zlp or even tigertronics would make an ultra small version of their audio interfaces with short cables, for the portable operator.
    Julian oh8stn

MW1CFN likes this.
  8. WA2LXB

WA2LXB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is the G90 worth a look? Opinions are like...armpits...so here goes:

I have a buddy who was an early buyer of the G90. Right after he bought it he started reading about it's early teething pains and questionable long-term manufacturer support (early on, not sure if that's improved) and threatened to sell it. He held on to it, and he's warmed up to it and now plans to keep it.

My opinion only: It has 20W out, which I consider to be the minimum for reliable HF DX for QRP voice and is more than adequate for many digital modes and CW. It's 1KG (2.2 lbs), which is pretty good for what you get. It has a waterfall display and 'should' operate down to 10.5 volts. It has an integral "wide range" autotuner-that's neat, but I'm not sure how wide range it really is. It's receive current draw is 500ma, which is high compared to a KX3 draw of 150ma. It lacks 6 meters, but has AM, FM, SSB, CW and obviously digital modes when paired with an outboard computer. The control interface (head) is also remoteable.

It's price point is about $450, which is ridiculously reasonable for what's in the box.

Is it worth it? Depends on what you already own. If you have a KX3 with PX3 and antenna tuner, I'd say don't bother. If you have an 817 you'll have a decision to make. If you don't have a portable HF QRP rig and you want one with 0.5 to 20W out, then I don't think you can go wrong with it. But take a look at as many Eew-tube videos as you can, read blogs to try to suss out rig reliability and the quality of manufacturer support and do your pro-con analysis.

When I do POTA or SOTA I throw my IC-7300 in a backpack with a 20AH LiFePo and operate SSB. Needless to say I don't travel very far.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
    G3SEA and MW1CFN like this.
  9. OH8STN

Honestly I'm not a Salesman, and in the
    end, your opinion is the only one which matters. I simply provide as much information as I can about building batteries, using solar panels or operating a new radio. Then the operator can make up his/hers own mind using that information.
    Here's something to think about. There is no such thing as the perfect portable radio, not even that kx2 which only does 150ma, only under very specific conditions . We need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of each of the portable radios we're considering. How much power are you hoping to run!? Can the radio you're considering run that power level without bursting into flames!? Is it light enough to carry!? Does it require an external battery pack!? If it has an internal battery pack, can that be recharged in the field!? So think about what you want from the radio, and then decide if it's the right one for you. My video show the good, bad and ridiculous without judgment. , but please do your research.
    Here are the three videos I've done on this radio so far.

Xiegu G90 SDR Transceiver:

Julian oh8stn

K0VMX, KD2TTM, G3SEA and 1 other person like this.
  10. MW1CFN

Yes, understood Julian. The question I was trying to ask was mostly about the physical and electronic reliability over a fairly long period, I guess.

For the money, the G90 can, in financial terms, last half as long or less than the usual suspects, and still come out on top. I may well try one.

11. 4X1ST

4X1ST XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FWIW, I've had a G90 for exactly a year.

The first one developed a display fault after a couple of months, and the vendor promptly took care of getting me a new rig.

It was my sole rig for about 6 months during which time I had a lot of fun with it. 20W goes a long way, and the receive is quite impressive too.

Since I got a 7300 I use the Xiegu less, mostly for outdoors stuff now. It acquits itself very well with pretty much whatever antenna I connect to it. It's a rig you can sling in a bag with a battery and a length of wire - and just get out there and make QSOs.

There've been a few firmware updates that have ironed out a lot of the weirdnesses - it does now have RIT and RF gain, the AGC and noise blanker work tolerably well.

I think it's well worth the financial outlay. And I'd sure miss it if I didn't have it.

KC1OCA, W4JHU, K2NCC and 1 other person like this.
  12. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

I gave up trying to get the G-90 to work digital and I tried several different methods including an expensive interface from England. With digital being one of the predominate modes on the ham bands I would have expected more effort being put into it from the manufacturer. Shortly afterwards I bought a IC-7300 and what an example that radio is. Built in sound card and plug and play with one USB cable. That's the kind of thinking that was missing with the G-90. Thankfully someone finally came out with a mobile bracket for the G-90 and it is still a great portable/emergency radio so I will likely keep it. Sure you can probably get it on digital with more effort but there is no plug and play solution.

KC1UA and K9UR like this.
  13. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How to say Xiegu...

Phonetically: She (as in the Chinese premier's name) Goo

there is no Zie or Zei. no Zed sound at all. It's an SH sound.

It's She...(just like what you call her, opposite of he for those pronoun conflicted)
    Gu, or Goo....

4X1ST likes this.
  14. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the excellent videos, as always.

I ordered a G90 today. :)

4X1ST likes this.
  15. KC1UA

KC1UA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not normally one to dredge up an old thread, but in this case I'm doing so out of sheer frustration. Julian, your video makes the VOX configuration look so easy. What is the secret? The video spells it out quite nicely, but damned if I can make it work. I've used the CE-19 interface and now one of the XGGComms interfaces. With the CE-19 I tried numerous sound cards all with the same result; some level of receive from poor to excellent, but absolutely no power out unless I'm using CAT....and using CAT is fleeting. The only place I can reliably work FT8 is on 40 meters when using CAT. So, my goal is to just use VOX, and as your video suggests I am quite capable of changing bands by hand! Where can I find the magic pixiedust that makes this work? Help...I have no hair left to tear out of my head!

Scott/KC1UA