ad: elecraft

Custom Coax Cables for Your Station

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by K8KSU, Sep 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Obviously it's working. EIGHT pages of replies? I'd call that a win for DXE for their somewhat over-priced cables.

I'll stick to making my own.

Dave
    W7UUU

WA7PRC and KD8DEY like this.
  2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll take Professional C.B Operator, Or Appliance Ham operator for $400 Alex...
    Ymmv

3. NI4TG

NI4TG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The math doesn't add up using this tool. RG8U @ 84 cents per foot, 100 feet and two pl259's is $118. ($16 per connector) 32 feet and one connector is $67, making that pl259 a $40 item.

4. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

When I set about to erect my tower and realized I'd need the better part of a 500' spool of RG8-ish cable, I looked at several sources. Their DXE400MAX was the best buy. I included shipping cost.

5. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I'm talking about the original post. The "crimping service" Of course DXE sells quality cable. That's where I buy all my raw cable.

Go back and read the first post if you're not aware of what this thread is talking about.... a "service" to make up cables for you at pretty proud prices.

Dave
    W7UUU

6. W7UUU

No, the PL259 is a $5.99 item. The rest is labor for the ~5 minutes it takes to crimp it on the cable ;)

Dave
    W7UUU

KE5ES likes this.
  7. WA7PRC

Thanks for clarifying your post. :)
    UHF connectors are very easy to install. Pre-installed UHF males (especially crimped) shouldn't cost that much. $1.75 each for generic top quality silver-Teflon from The RF Connection (pn PL-259/TSS,
    link). I recently bought a bag of 20. In 10-piece quantity, they're only $1.50 each. Soldering them takes only a minute or so (w/o a fancy prep tool). :)

8. KE5ES

KE5ES Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I need a three foot jumper. I better order 400 feet of coax and 15 PL-259s. As soon as I make the cable I will want to move the radio three inches.

KQ9J likes this.
  9. KD8CDG

KD8CDG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I guess since you just have to know, I decided that between the cost difference, the availability and convenience that it would be nice to not have to do it with this setup. It is not due any lack of ability as within the last month and a half I have repaired a "built in '84" VHF amplifier, built and installed a 135' doublet fed with ladderline, installed a VHF/UHF system in my newer work van, volunteered my time and skills to help repair a 120' tower that was blown over in a windstorm, not to mention but I spend my weekdays installing, training and repairing metal fabrication machinery of all types.. hydraulics, computers, PLC's and the mechanicals. So now would you desire to know what color, it's weight and aroma of what I left in the throne this morning?
    So now who really needs to get a grip?
    "Because I CHOSE TO! THAT'S WHY..." geesh...

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Mazel Tov..

Don't know why you felt compelled to augment your claim that "it is not due to any lack of ability" with a lot of irrelevant activities but it's good to know you can solder a PL259.

11. K5CO

K5CO Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC would not care and the ARRL would not have a clue.

12. W5DPH

W5DPH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suppose you're building your own radio equipment as well. Good point.

13. WA7PRC

Unless higher authority specifies otherwise, simple connectors require only simple tools. For instance, I can quickly install an Amphenol 83-58FCP "Field Crimp Plug" (http://www.amphenolrf.com/downloads/dl/file/id/19) using only a small pair of pointy-tipped cutters. :)

14. W4WTS

W4WTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think a lot of this is about time. Many still work and balance family and other hobbies with ham radio. It's not just about the time to put the stuff together, but running to the parts store, etc.

Still, the price seems way to high IMO.

15. K2DMB

K2DMB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

onboard defibulater no more soldering allowed