ad: Schulman-1

Citizens’ Band (CB) radio 27mhz AM and SSB under consultation

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by M1WML, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know SSB has been in use in the USA for many years. But it never really caught on. 90% of all QSO’s on CB are AM. If I remember they used CH 16 LSB. By the time 40 came around I was out of CB but under stand some of the new channels were use mostly for SSB.

I have a Midland 13-880 B SSB I a restoring just because I had one in the early 70’s
    Midland 13-880B 1.jpg

2. PD0AC

PD0AC Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, you don't need to know how to build a car in order to drive one. Not all people who like using radio waves want to know all the technical ins and outs. There's no need for that anymore like in the past, when home brew was more or less the only option. Just buy a rig, an antenna, a PSU and all the other stuff that comes with it and you're good to go.

When seen in that respect even the knowledge needed to pass a ham exam is overkill. Most hams buy everything and don't build anything. A crash course in rules, regulations, learning to listen first and talk later, and how to behave. Especially how to behave.

Now I better hide...

Hans

[​IMG]

3. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

Overkill? It's pretty much a give-away now.

4. KN2RC

KN2RC Ham Member QRZ Page

remove or ignore? or how 'bout deny? i've seen a post or 2 on the zed stating 'i never....', yea, well, if i had the wherewithal to record some of them during the 90's or 80's or even 70's.....
    if i hadn't been a cber in 1974, i wouldn't be an amateur today. does that mean i'm blackballed? does that mean the contesters will not accept my contact for points? does that mean todd will not stop ignoring me 'cause i don't have a 10-10 number?
    what was the point of the original post? how many of the following posts include correct information? how many of those posts are from active cbers trying to disguise their cb use? ssb never caught on on cb? there's probably more 'mid-range' hf rigs on 27.385 then there is on the ham bands....spoken facetiously, but you get my point? will legalization of the same radio, frequencies, modes & power in the UK that is legal in the US make ANY difference on 27.385? i think not. ok so maybe they won't hear 'hola hola hola cq once metros' but they DO have the same complaints regarding certain mediterranean & african cb stations.
    did i say what was the point of the original post? anyway, some should know the facts before they comment....what was the point of the original post? ummmm, do i really care if the UK can use the uniden grant xl i have in my shack, legally? no. 'cause it will not add 1 single db of noise 'CAUSE THEY ARE ALREADY USING THOSE FREQUENCIES, legally or otherwise.
    sorry....see horsey above ;)

5. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

you got to remember that am and ssb citizen band was never legalised here.. and if you got caught with just a 40 channel cb the powers that be would come down on you quite hard... I wonder if that means I can use my ham call on 27 mhz..;) cool..

6. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol, tell ya a story.

Other end of back garden of in laws were two CBr's lived two doors apart with their sheds, shack call it what you will facing the back garden - yelling down the mic at each other - they could have easily yanked the mic out and still had a chat.

Neighbours thought they shouted ..... "One nine for coffee", one guy telling the other about 'rolling skip', I learned quite a lot just ear wigging in the garden.

Bet you didn't know the weather affected this e're 'rolling skip' and that if you don't swar things the RF has nowhere to go.

Dave

7. VE3OIJ

VE3OIJ QRZ Lifetime Member #42 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I started with a 23 channel AM rig, then a 40 channel AM+SSB rig, then I moved to amateur radio...

And I have to be honest here... from my perspective, I can't really tell the difference between a rag chew with some good ol' boys on 40 or 80 metres at night and a babble session between some good-buddies on 11m in terms of quality of conversation or operation.

8. AC4BB

AC4BB Ham Member QRZ Page

I recall back before I got into ham radio, Talking a county away was DX?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.