ad: elecraft

Chuck Penson's Third Edition of "Heathkit: A Guide to the Amateur Radio Products" is out

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Sep 15, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Anyone who has ever developed a passion for Heathkit ham radio gear has surely heard the name Chuck Penson WA7ZZE before. Certainly in references like, "according to Penson's book..." and the like. I know I have for years. Long before I built up my massive "K1T 70th Anniversary" commemorative station back in 2017 I was already well aware of the great resource that "Penson's book" was to the Heathkit fan.

Well, his newest edition of Amateur Radio Products is just out! And it's absolutely wonderful - the best of the series by far, IMO. From the front cover, with the enticing view of a shiny Heathkit station as featured on the 1970 Heath Christmas catalog, to the rear cover showing an exploded view of all the actual parts to build an SB-100 transceiver, and everything in between, it's utter eye candy throughout.

The printing is substantial - top notch paper with a heavy quality "coffee table book" feel to it. And almost every single page has beautiful (and a few rare) photographs of the people, the factory, and above all, the gear: all the great ham radio offerings that made Heathkit a household name for hams worldwide. Model by model, each is featured in photos, circuit details, assembly notes, full specifications, and pretty much everything you'd want to know about each and every ham product they ever sold... including the really rare stuff (although, oddly, the HC-10 seems to be missing ;) )

Last year, Chuck contacted me to provide photos of some of the man who turned the Heath company into an electronic kit powerhouse, Howard E. Anthony's handwritten notes from his personal copy of Radio News magazine, ostensibly outlining what would become the very first "Electronic Heath Co. kit". I had come into Anthony's entire bound collection a few years before, and was happy to contribute photos to Chuck's project. What an honor indeed!

Yes - this is fully a plug for "the new Penson book" - but this is truly great Amateur Radio News for the thousands of hams around the world who still buy and restore these great ham radio products from the past, and help to keep this part of our history alive. (And no, I'm not a part of Chuck's business and am not paid for any of this)

Check it out at Chuck's site: www.WA7ZZE.com (along with his two other great Heathkit reference books). at $34.95 I consider it a bargain for any ham radio library - or coffee table!

This is truly one of the top new amateur radio books for 2021

Dave
    W7UUU

cover.PNG

Penson book 1.jpg

Penson book 2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    KQ0EA, N2KYX, NT4U and 17 others like this.
  2. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff. Thanks for posting

M1WML likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks!

More random pictures from the book... (well, the last one isn't random, if you read closely :p)

This book is just wonderful! Once my new shack is complete and the dust has settled, this will live on the big table in the middle of the room for quick reference, and for fellow Heathkit fans to peruse when visiting.

Dave
    W7UUU

book1.jpg

book2.jpg

book3.jpg

book4.jpg

book5.jpg

book6.jpg

W9JEF, K1LKP, K6RWM and 6 others like this.
  4. AA5BK

AA5BK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW... Well worth the price.

HB9EPC, M1WML and W7UUU like this.
  5. NR8O

NR8O Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned the first book in the series (Amateur Radio Products) for years now. Very well done and a lot of fun to flip through and read about all the gear I couldn't afford back when I was a teenager. Worthwhile addition to the shack!

K8DQ, HB9EPC, K6RWM and 1 other person like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice trip back in time! When I look at these pictures, thats when HAM radio started and became more public and intrested for the people. But for today its not really useable anymore. Maybe for beginners to see what was going on in the past. Unfortunately those old pictures are in the mind of the public until today and combined with people who constantly live in the past. Thats why HAM radio got massive problems to activate the next generation.

HB9EPC and M1WML like this.
  7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

8. WA7ZIT

WA7ZIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Chuck Penson, for helping to keep those old golden days of Amateur Radio alive and kicking !!
    WA7ZIT

HB9EPC, M1WML and F8WBD like this.
  9. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great books, I would love to order them.
    The international shipping cost is much more than the actual books themselves.

M1WML likes this.
  10. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

An old freind Ulricht, DL7FZ .Now a SK RIP. He had a HeathKit station that he built and modified himself. He was a Test tech for Blauepunkt so I think he knew what he was doing. He had made a marverlous job with his shack. He helped me with lots of gear that I was experimenting on back in the 60's in Hildesheim. 73 de John - G0WXU.

HB9EPC and M1WML like this.
  11. WA8SAJ

WA8SAJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Chuck, you certainly did a great job on this one, just like your others you have written, thank you.
    Worth the price!

M1WML and W7UUU like this.
  12. WB4IUY

WB4IUY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have his 1st and 2nd Amateur Radio book, gotta have this one. They are loaded with great info and pics!

13. VE6SH

VE6SH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$US56 for shipping to Canada?

M1WML and VE2GCE like this.
  14. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Good post. My intro to radio was Heathkit gear a neighbor built. Aviation took over though and by the time I got back Heathkit was pretty much gone. Going to have to order it now.

15. W3AMT

W3AMT Ham Member QRZ Page

My first ND Rig was HE 101. Every piece of my test gear was heath kit. From VTVM Scope all the way to color bar generator . Those were the days. I also had a DX 60 for my am station. It was really great except for the HE 101 I hated it. Got rid of it within a montb. I will be buying the book!