ad: Flexradio-1

Buddipole PowerMini & PowerFilm Solar | Portable Power

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by OH8STN, Aug 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OH8STN

OH8STN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KE8MOW

KE8MOW Ham Member QRZ Page

KC6JLX and OH8STN like this.
  3. OH8STN

Thanks
    Julian oh8stn

KC6JLX likes this.
  4. KI4JLI

KI4JLI Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! Julian is the "Portable Power Elmer" to the world! :)

AJ6KZ and OH8STN like this.
  5. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Julian, Was looking for a controller that was versatile. I use lead acids for home and mobile use and cells for portable. Finding one that does both is what I was looking for. Power poles are a plus.

OH8STN likes this.
  6. OH8STN

I don't know about that but I sure appreciate it. I think if we all spend enough time out in the field, we will eventually come to similar conclusions. Thanks for the kindness, and comment. It's very much appreciated.
    Julian oh8stn

W6AKA and AJ6KZ like this.
  7. OH8STN

You are very welcome. There is also the victron controllers. They can be programmed for multiple battery chemistries but, they don't have the integrated power distribution.
    Julian oh8stn

K8CGS likes this.
  8. N1IPU

Julian, I just got done with messaging buddipole, I checked the specs and the input is limited to 150 watts solar or 11 amps according to them. It creates and issue if like me you run two 100 watt panels. I am going to try one of those DROK buck boost modules that I can current limit but not sure of the losses doing that. I will give it a shot but wondering if you had contended with that in any of your setups.

WA2LXB and OH8STN like this.
  9. OH8STN

Excellent question. This isn't the greatest answer in the world, but it is an honest one. Living so far north, the only time I need to run both my big panels, is in the depth of winter. In summer, if I really needed to top up quicker, I could and have once deployed both of my big panels, by folding over one of the panels rows, reducing the current coming into the charge controller. I've done that once during an expedition in Lapland. We had rain for so many days that my battery storage was nearly depleted. There was a break in the weather with a short window of sunlight. I deployed two panels as I suggested, but folded over a couple of rows to save the charge controller. That was a Genasun GV10L, which has very similar input limitations.
    Thanks for the awesome question, and I hope my answer helps.
    Julian oh8stn

KJ7AAI and WA2LXB like this.
  10. N1IPU

It does, I was considering buying a 200 watt panel but that is on hold till I try the current limiter but the fold over idea is sound. Problem is my forgetful days are coming so I try to avoid manual solutions.. LOL

OH8STN likes this.
  11. OH8STN

You and me both. I still can't figure out where the heck I left my hat earlier today.
    When you decide, please let me know what you come up with.
    Julian oh8stn

12. N1IPU

Will do. Just have to wait till the buddipole arrives....

13. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

This is a good idea, isn't it?
    It seems that it can be used in various fields.

JF1IRQ

14. N1IPU

15. K8CGS

K8CGS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have Gen-1 of the Buddipole PowerMini. I operate primarily portable operations and also use solar when necessary. I think the PowerMini is one of the absolutely best power management and solar option capabilites on the market. Even if you don't use solar its worth its weight in gold.