ad: portazero-1

Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK7HH, Jul 5, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my DX Commander All Band vertical in the air for about 6 months now and I wanted to show how the antenna has faired over the Australian summer and now coming into winter.

Does the pole stand up to the harsh UV? Has anything broken or come loose? What is the quality of construction of the individual parts? Let's find out!

https://www.m0mcx.co.uk/

PY2NEA, KC7ZXY, MI0ODN and 14 others like this.
  2. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just put mine together today. Tomorrow it goes vertical!

KC5HWB, K4GDJ, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  3. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My only issue is its ground mount only and I had to roof mine. I had conversations with Callum about it but after seeing one up close I decided on the tried and true 6btv. Ramming a piece of pipe up the center wasn't going to do much for SWR or durability.
    Don't need guys if you use the xtra heavy base tube for the btv too. Guys are a turn off for me once you see a deer, dog or kid collide with them.

KE0DM, KL4R, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  4. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

yes agree that if ground mounting doesn’t suit then you may need to look at other options. I wonder how one would go mounted to a tin roof with the roof attached to the base plate… might be a good test for future

PY2NEA, KB2QQM, KE0DM and 3 others like this.
  5. KD2ZZJ

KD2ZZJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Best HF Multiband Vertical Antenna?

My Tarheel 200a at 20ft with two elevated radials for each band, 100w work YB, ZL & VK on 40M SSB/CW, JA on 20M and many other DX over 10,000kms..

AK2U, M1WML and AK5B like this.
  6. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you sir &73!

M1WML and VK7HH like this.
  7. KB0R

KB0R Ham Member QRZ Page

I still like my Butternut HF9V, have had it up since 1986.
    First 30 years mounted on garage roof with resonant radials.
    Now ground mounted with lots of radials that I just layed out on the ground.
    Only thing I don't like is the bandwidth on 80 Meters.

It did take a lightning strike this summer, had to replace two capacitors that burned out.

Larry

G0SDT, N1IPU, M1WML and 1 other person like this.
  8. AB0R

AB0R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had my DX Commander up for about 3 weeks now. It works quite well! Very nice portable antenna.

KC5HWB, KE0DM, M1WML and 4 others like this.
  9. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't beat the efficiencies. I am not new to Ham radio, work as a consultant for Lightning bolt, and others...I had my share of antennas, Mon Band Yagis and 42FT Boom Multband Quads..

For a vertical (Multiband), you simply can't get any better. It is a Fan Dipole erected vertically. Each band has their own element (Well 40 Meters shares with 15Meters (5/8Th wave)..It is the mechanics, that is the key...Keeping the wires separated along with the mast, and suspending each element.

There is no fancy impedance matching networks, no coils, nothing, straight in at 50 Ohms.. and is light as a feather...And the wire, (British Military) it does not tangle, that in itself, is great!

If there is 100K (60mile) wind storm coming through, take the antenna down, it weighs like 2LBs or maybe 3LB. Mine has handled 100K (60Miles per hour) winds, but it is so easy just to take down, if need be...

If you have to buy a vertical, I can't see any other vertical, I just don't see it...Oh it is very cheap (Cost effective)...Support is great, Callum is super on responses, (Along with this family!), the antenna even looks good.

No other vertical can boast the efficiencies, costs, and lightness.(And the quality of the wires, shock cables and connectors (To suspend the elements)

And if you don't like reading, Callum, and many more YouTubers provide instructions on how to put together

Not much more you can do with this antenna to make improvements...

DE NN2X Tom,

KE0DM, PA1ZT, VK2WDX and 10 others like this.
  10. KD2ZZJ

KD2ZZJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

M1WML likes this.
  11. NN2X

NN2X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wish I had that set up you see on my QRZ Page! ! I had to sell all! My Picture, on QRZ is old..I was about to sell the house, but my son (Adam / KI5FJE) was accepted at 13 years old to an University, (Majoring in EE), so we decided, lets stay another 4 years, same house (Good thing I did house has dramatically gone up in price!)

So I sold all my Ham equipment! So what you see is not there anymore (On my QRZ Page), I have a humble set up...DX Commander, (40-10), and FT 450...I had for a few months the SPE 1K Amp, sold it, for the R&D, of the Mini Quad...

So, that is it!

Thanks for visiting my QRZ Page though! DE NN2X Tom

M1WML likes this.
  12. K6GS

K6GS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Great antenna, have mine set up for 80-10, can (and have) worked all bands, no tuner other than internal tuner on 80 as that band resonance is fairly narrow. Also have a Lite for portable ops. Bonus for Collum being fantastic to work with and a source for interesting content. The antenna is fun to build and you don't need to scrounge for bits as he's done the scrounging. Also can be HOA-friendly (depending on the HOA) as it is unobtrusive (especially if you or neighbors have trees) and is a "temporary install".

13. N7RD/SK2023

N7RD/SK2023 Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had my DXcommander up for about 6 mos now. Mine is for 12,17,30 40. Can work anything I can hear. I did add 3 upper guys and it works fine. Will keep eye on it as here in AZ deserts it can get a bit warm. So far only 118 degs this year so not too bad. Great antenna.

73 Ron N7RD

14. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I used a Cushcraft ATV-5 trapped vertical on a metal roof and it worked very well.

M1WML and K0UO like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The Best HF Vertical

I have a Vertical polarized Rhombic Optimize for 40 meters and above, mounted at 170 feet. It also works on 160 and 80.

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

Last edited: Jul 6, 2021
    PY2NEA, K8XG, UT7UX and 3 others like this.