ad: MLSons-1

Belton TX April 2018

Discussion in 'Hamfest Reports & Videos' started by W5TTP, Apr 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just my observations, but the attendance by both sellers and potential buyers seemed to be way down this year. The weather was lousy for the few tailgaters who chose not to move indoors. Yet, there were noticeable table vacancies, as well. I hope that this is just an off, one time event. I so look forward to the fest each season. The good news is that I still was able to hook up with some very good ham buddies. Chatting with them made the trip totally worthwhile. I am sure that I missed some, but maybe next time will be better. I sure hope so.

Any other attendees observations?

Chuck w5ttp

2. KG5RZ

KG5RZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had 6 potential choices of how to spend my time this weekend. I chose the one that was a. closest to home, b. involved high performance cars on a road course type circuit, and c. paid me instead of charging me an entry fee (in other words I had to work at Circuit of the Americas).

Having said that, it seemed to me the October version was also smaller/less crowded that I remembered from past years. Here's hoping it is an anomaly not a trend.

W5TTP likes this.
  3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Sad to say, Hamfests are bumming badly this year.

Seems like every year it gets worse.

I coffee break (Spouse Break) to see old friends keeps some people going.

W5TTP likes this.
  4. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Perhaps its time to make hamfests co-events with other hobbies that might attract new blood. Like ham radio/RC/Drone - ham radio/prepper - ham radio/gun show.

5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Belton was the only hamfest where I saw "adult" products being sold along side radio stuff, as well as the usual jewelry and other female distractions. Not to mention the dog or pony show that goes on in the arena on the other side of the bathroom / concession area.

...And the only hamfest so far, where I was bitten by a dog that lunged out of a car window in the parking lot.

There is always a good selection of new and used stuff, as well as the tables of CB goo-gahs and illegal amps.

6. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it held in the convention center south of town ? I know where the town and county are located. I was there decades ago. K5BIT, and the Belton club, is who got me interested in ham radio.

7. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks like it. Bell Expo Center.

8. N4AAB

N4AAB Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured. I was in the area when Still House Hollow Damn and Reservoir was being put in. I sort of remember when Belton Lake was put in. A couple of small towns had to move out to Highway 90 when Belton Lake construction was started.