ad: Retevis-1

Appalachian Trail on-the-air Saturday, Oct. 2

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by WB2FUV, Aug 31, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. WB2FUV

WB2FUV Ham Member QRZ Page

Appalachian Trail (AT) on-the-air Saturday, Oct. 2, 1200-2100Z. SOTA and POTA activators are urged to post an alert on their respective websites beforehand and also drop a note to ATontheair@gmail.com to be added to our list of SOTA and POTA stations participating. More details at ATontheair.com.

Reminder that this is also the date for SOTA W7A s2s 10 pt MADNESS (Arizona) so expect plenty of activity on the higher HF bands. SOTA chasers are asked to please respect the "s2s" protocol and standby when summits are calling other summits.
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV
    AT-ONTHEAIR-OCT2.jpg

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

AKA exercise personal restraint and practice common decency.

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

NO! I need that contact for "Worked All Whatever". ;)

Chris

4. WB2FUV

BREAKING NEWS: In accordance with an opinion by AT Conservancy, the Appalachian National Scenic Trail consists of "the A.T. footpath and designated viewpoints, shelters, campsites, water sources, and spur trails linking these features” — in other words, part of the white blazed main Trail, or the blue blazed side trails to shelters, campsites, summits, etc. This is especially helpful to POTA activators who need to be within 100' of the Trail. POTA also accepts activations from trailheads along the national trail.

Join us this Saturday, October 2, 2021, for AT-ontheair. Go to www.ATontheair.com for details.
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV

5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

@KM1NDY
    I'm back from my activation of Blue Mtn (W4V/SH-030) for this event.

Since I had already activated that summit for points this year, I decided to spend some quality time on the higher bands. I got my first 12m contact and 4 15m DX contacts (2 Spain, 1 Slovenia, 1 Italy). I got on 10m, didn't get any responses, but did hear a number of DX stations having QSOs (not just chasers or contesters, actual ragchewing).

I dipped my toe into 40m and immediately got hammered with a bunch of S2S and other chaser calls. I worked 8 stations in 9 minutes, which doesn't sound like much except a couple S2S stations took some effort. I think I spent nearly 3 minutes with one.

I have to be honest, I've never seen the bands so active. I heard stations on every band between 10m and 80m and made contacts on 12, 15, and 40 (stayed off 20 and 80 due to technical reasons).

Between this event, the Western S2S event, and the band conditions this was the most active SOTA activation I've experienced.

Chris

KM1NDY likes this.
  6. WB2FUV

Good to hear, Chris.
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV

7. KM1NDY

KM1NDY Ham Member QRZ Page

We were up on top of Mt. Everett in Massachusetts essentially activating from right on the AT itself. I had a 40M OCF with the balun about 5 feet off the ground. AA1F had his station set up on 20. It was an ok activation, not stellar, with enough points for SOTA and POTA, but not many more. We got a very late start (typical for us). I made contacts on 20 and 40, and tried 10 (nothing). But at least I tried!

Congrats @KI4POT on the 12M contact! Hopefully I'll make one on there soon. And for the point to this thread...I didn't know it existed.

Mindy

KI4POT likes this.
  8. WB2FUV

Thanks for your activation, Mindy! I'll put together a Summary Report on www.ATontheair.com in the next few days.
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV

KM1NDY likes this.
  9. KM1NDY

@WB2FUV
    Mike, *thank you* for doing all this! AA1F were delighted to be a part of it!

Mindy

10. WB2FUV

Thanks to all participants in Appalachian Trail On-The-Air. A post-event Summary Report has been posted on www.ATontheair.com
    Stay well & 73!
    Mike, WB2FUV

11. KM1NDY

What a lovely write-up! Thanks for doing this!

Mindy