ad: Radclub22-1

25 APRIL .... the day of the father of the radio : MARCONI

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by IW2BSF, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Patents are very specific in their claim construction. IF Tesla thought there was an explanation invoking ether, he had ample opportunity to show this, through his notebooks, if not his patent disclosure. Back then patents were 'first to invent'.

But he never did.

Why? Because he never said it (air and ground conduction=ether), at least up to the time of this patent.

A posteriori don't count in patents and thus patented inventions.

Tesla continues to nod : no....no....no....no...noooo.

I believe you will never find any patent or court decision that says "Tesla invented radio." The 1943 decision doesn't say that: it says that specific DEVICES--such as a resonant circuit-- were "anticipated" by Tesla. Thus Marconi's inventive claims that assert said novelty of such devices were revoked due to prior art.

Chip W1YW

2. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

This argument is going nowhere. Twist it into a question of ether? Better to just ignore the Tesla naysayers.

I am not championing Tesla. I do know that Tesla was the originator of many of the original ideas that Marconi assembled to create a workable and successful radio communications system.

Who cares about the patent? What is more important is who had the idea first and who made the idea actually work.

Enough. I do not want to toss this back and forth with you, Chip. You have your mind made up and you're no dummy. I also have my mind made up but we are mostly talking about different things. You're centered on the patent thing mainly because you have been involved in the patent process. I am more interested in who had the idea first and without Tesla's ideas, Marconi could not have done what he did when HE INVENTED radio communication.

Under analysis, other early "inventors"of radio were also inspired by Tesla AND Marconi plus no doubt others. It was the age of invention.

3. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Radio would not have been invented without assembling components invented without using the ideas of others. Whether they got patents on them or not is irrelevant.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well:)!

THEY didn't think so!!!

;-)

5. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

More semantics?

You nod your hear for "yes" — shake your head for "No."
    :):):)

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no argument.

The facts have been apparent for generations, and its the ignorance of those who are not skilled in inventions and patents (and didn't bother to dig out the original documents) that promulgated these gross misinterpretations.

Tesla did lots of cool things, invented lotsa cool stuff. But he did not invent "radio".

Tesla now nods: yes...yes....yes...yes...yes...yes...yes...

Notice the 'noddy' of Tesla has an AC motor, a fluorescent bulb, and a Tesla coil. No 'radio'.

Chip W1YW

7. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla transmitted electrical power using the radio technique but he did not invent it. What he learned and proved was used by others. Forget the patent and the patent process. I know what I have read and it proves that others used his ideas and they developed many good things.

By the way, Tesla had over 120 patents and one of his submissions was not accepted because it was too complex. He took it back, broke it down into eight patent submissions. Apparently Tesla was not all that much into the patent process, either. Later, when he was practically a pauper, he got more interested in it.

Tesla died penniless while countless industrialists made millions off Tesla's ideas. The same thing happened to the inventor of the cotton gin. He was arguing that his patent was infringed upon and his opponents were saying it was not true but through an open window, they could hear a cotton gin in operation outside.

The patent process is as tricky as the copyright process. There are winners and losers with those who are in the grasp of those weasels.

8. UB1ACI

UB1ACI Ham Member QRZ Page

It's true. The Tower of Babel divided us into different languages (thanks to Google that helps).
    But one thing remained in force: never did scientists think about peace and ordinary people.
    They always thought of themselves and their glory. Give them 30 silver pieces, and they would bomb
    up the world with them and with us. Therefore Napoleon said: put donkeys and scientists ahead of the army. )))

KK5R likes this.
  9. UB1ACI

The same Tesla (lover of pigeons) talked about a superweapon that would stop wars.
    Well, he certainly offered all governments to invent such weapons.

KK5R likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla had the number of US patents so described in the review. You can get the book yourself.

I don't know any weasels. And If I did, I would pop them.

Tesla wants to talk about pigeons but I am writing up a patent application....

Chip W1YW

KK5R likes this.
  11. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Never heard that one. Good... :)

I will pass it along. Thanks.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeez, that's helpful. I just finished a patent application to help the world not destroy itself (True! Not making it up.) Do I get 30 silver pieces for that? Or is it 60 if you stop the madness...

Wasn't aware that inventors--especially ones who are scientists --were ALL psychopaths;-)

Thanks for letting me know.

Chip W1YW

13. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Not exactly. John Hammond Jr. was paying Tesla's bills. Hammond could well afford it as he had a huge chunk of RCA stock and felt sorry for Tesla, who had rebuffed him in a business offer years before. Hammond cleaned up on 'radio control'. He had oodles of patents.

So there's your irony: RCA --essentially Marconi's company-- paying big bucks to Hammond, who used some of that to pay Tesla's bills. Strange world.

Tesla was just a really troubled and weird guy, not the best to do business dealings with. We all love him for his genius and perseverance in the face of failure.

14. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Tesla's biographer, O'Neil, revealed that Tesla ruled out any demonstrations of love and affection. He even ridiculed a secretary that was leaving the job to get married saying she was throwing his life away. Anyway, the book said that in this Tesla was a failure. He sent messengers to the city park to feed the pigeons and when one died, his favorite that nested in his hotel window, he went to his chief machinist and asked for him to bury it in his yard. The machinist forgot to take the neatly tied package home with him and the next day, the pigeon-package had disappeared and Tesla never asked him to do him another personal favor.

Tesla's "secret/super weapon" was a launcher of aluminum projectiles that were sent on their way using the repelling properties of magnetic fields on aluminum but he envisioned making them sensitive to controlling currents and thus they could be guided on their way. I suspect it was a grand idea but mostly unusable since to "tune" a controlling signal for each and every projectile is almost impossible for the imagination to retain. However, today with our computer technology, the idea is not so much in the impossible arena. Feasible, possibly, but not a guaranteed possibility.

Have to keep the old computer technology axiom in mind: Anything conceived that is logical can be done; the only problem is implementation.

15. UB1ACI

I'm sorry, slightly confused...

"The army is in squad! Donkeys and scientists - in the middle! "
    "The famous phrase about donkeys and scientists belongs to Emperor Napoleon.
    He respected science, and everywhere carried with him her outstanding representatives.
    The legendary team sounded in the Egyptian campaign before the clash
    with superior enemy forces: the commander-in-chief ordered
    by all means save the most expensive - vehicles and the best minds of the nation."

Well, it's also understandable, a usurper, hoping for a science.

KK5R likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.