ad: Retevis-1

Radio Shacks "new" ham radio?

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N2VHZ, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC5HQK

KC5HQK Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I the only one who couldn't find this item at radioshack.com ?

Not that I would buy one, I just like to verify information before I comment on it.

2. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

No, they either sold them out or took it off again. This was their third attempt at selling this dog. Considering that this has been going on for months, you'd think the FCC would at least fine them. [​IMG]

3. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

That thing is legally a 10 meter ham rig.
    The HR 2510 that radio shack sold was an excellent "real" 10 meter rig, it did not do AM, but is now on the FCC list.
    Why, the thing can be converted to 11 meters.
    Now, I am one of the first to agree, an AM/FM only 40 channel ham rig, come on, but there are few inexpensive ham rigs left.
    The really bad thing about this one is that there is only one diode to pop on this baby and you are in.
    But, where do you draw the line?
    The kenwood TS-430 makes an excellent super CB, it does
    AM, FM, and SSB, and the mod was super easy.
    But, if it were not for the Japanese ham market we might not have half the real ham rigs, the market is tiny when you look at cellphone and dish sales.
    Radio Shack, what is on spiff says the salesmaker.

4. KA3VSP

KA3VSP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but I'm sure that Radio Shack will only sell the radio to those who hold a valid ham license. Right? [​IMG]

5. KN4RA

KN4RA Ham Member QRZ Page

Just tune in on 28.375 after Christmas! How many pounds am I puttin on ya? Has it got any modge? LOL

6. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with you Ken, but with some of the recent changes in amateur radio, I can't say I'm really surprised to see this "10 meter CB."

7. KC2ESD

KC2ESD Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried to find the 10M Cobra on Radioshack.com and could not find it. Ether this post is false or Radio Shack pulled it off the Market.
    Rick KC2ESD

8. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

If I may... alot of these are being sold outisde the usa. And the ones sold in the usa are legel to use on 10m anyway. They are NOT 11m radios. Yes you can mod them. Just like a Kenwood or Icom right? [​IMG]

9. K5MSG

K5MSG Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree that after Christmas there may be a groundswell of new usage overwhelming the FCC's ability to control.

Are there particular frequencies identified as being used by truckers so that one might monitor and inform the FCC?
    28.085? 28.375? Guess I will have to put my Argosy in the car.

--------

I did a quick google search to see what the CBers are being presented with from their on-line sources

http://www.roadtrucker.com/feature-cb-radios.htm
    "Care to Step up to the 10 Meter band?
    Following are a Links to Galaxy Radios with a bit more power. Some have much more than a bit more power."

No mention of the illegality of operating these w/o a license

http://www.cbshop.com/shop2.asp?g=18&sg=2
    "group: CB Radio - subgroup: CB Tranceivers
    Cobra 200 GLT 10 meter"
    listed w/o any words of warning

http://www.gotruckstop.com/cgi-bin....play=10
    "Best in Class!
    HOT from Cobra electronics is the 200GTL DX 10 meter radio.
    Finally performance and durability meet. The standard Cobra high quality construction matched with two 50w final transistors make this a radio not to overlook."

10. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

the HR  series ?!?!?!   aw come on a freind of mine told me that they designed a crappy final output torroids loose as a goose that destroyed the finals !  if you can find a decent older XMTR pull the cover off there you see real design work and the Best is Motorola period.   Uniden only way they got into the US was in fact Midland employees went on strike and uniden sold Midland the boards for a series B Chicken Bander Radio 23 Channel.  after that well they came in the US market the 10 Meter was not acceptable for modding to Chicken Band and the FCC was not type certifying anything that was able to go anywhere between 24-30 Mhz.

as far as my opinion on that radio is best used for a paper weight.

11. W4CBJ

W4CBJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Think they'll give me a discount [​IMG]?[​IMG]?  Joe W4CBJ
    (Citizens Band Jamboree).

12. N2CUA

N2CUA Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the FCC should be notified before we get a bunch more CB'rs on 10 meters...

Randy

13. K0HWY

K0HWY Ham Member QRZ Page

Too late... they've already infested 75 as well ... [​IMG]

14. VE7NOT

VE7NOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't heard this. The only place I heard bad ops is 3760 and 3840 and the latter died off months ago.

The cb band though (at least the upper part of it) is civilized ragchewin between hams. Like 160m

15. KI4QFY

KI4QFY QRZ Member

The post is pure. I read it about the same day it was posted, and I did view the unit on the RS web site. I didnt go back to see if it was still listed though, just not worth the effort to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.