ad: cq2k-1

RFI Feed back ISSUES during FT8? This New DigiRig cable fixes that.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KG5AHJ, May 11, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KG5AHJ

KG5AHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

PU2LQX and VA2SS like this.
  2. CT7ANU

CT7ANU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure those cables are "special" they came in the short bus and all.

N9FM and KG5AHJ like this.
  3. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

USB A to C? My radios use B, also used by many modern printers.

What are you hooking a laptop to an android phone?

KG5AHJ and W9TNC like this.
  4. KG5AHJ

They can be all the special they need to be. BUT THEY WORK

KQ1V likes this.
  5. KG5AHJ

At this time, Digi Rig doesn't use USB-B cables and also The G-90 i was using doesn't use a USB-B port. I do have another radio that has a USB-B port for digital modes and built in sound card. At this time i haven't do digital on it yet. Its on the list of things to do, but i have been trying to get my ham shack built first.

I don't believe i plug in my phone to my laptop. If I did, it was to pull off some media off. i was also using my hotspot of internet access. That's was the extent of the phone and laptop interacts.

K2HAT likes this.
  6. K2HAT

K2HAT Premium Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Volunteer DX Helper QRZ Page

Elecraft K3 and K3S and Icom 7300, 9700 use USB B, I was not aware of any Amateur radio using USB C,.

Far out might be a smart upgrade,
    from what I understand the C port is able to move data faster than the Iphone "Lightning" port :)

KG5AHJ likes this.
  7. VK6HIL

VK6HIL Ham Member QRZ Page

All you need is a USB cable with decent shielding

Re USB-C : the connector costs a little bit more but it's whether your embedded design can support it i.e. you might need to add more circuitry, chips etc so that increase costs plus you might need new test equipment.

So the cost per unit increases for functionality and speed you may not need.

N6CXD likes this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

The fact that you have common mode RFI and need such a cable means that your rig is hot. This typically happens when you use a single ended antenna feed. Adding a counterpoise at the antenna and a common mode choke in the antenna cable to your rig would be a much better solution. Currently, your rig and all that is attached to it, is acting as a counterpoise.

VK1MF, N9FM, AE0Q and 6 others like this.
  9. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

Solve the RF-IN-THE-SHACK problem at its' source ( antenna system ) and your hamming will be more enjoyable.

73 DE Ray.

KR3DX, AC9HP and K7NGS like this.
  10. N6CXD

N6CXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use USB cables from Amazon that have an outer metal braid and use one large ferrite and wrap the cable around about eight times at my computer.
    Im using a 15' cable and my computer is about eight feet from my radio. I haven't had any issues but I don't do Digital all that much anymore and prefer voice.

W9TNC and K7NGS like this.
  11. N2YQT

N2YQT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

USB-C to go from the DigiRig to the computer...

W9TNC and K2HAT like this.
  12. WB2JIX

WB2JIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

13. K7NGS

K7NGS Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

same same

14. N7WFK

N7WFK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Frank, I haven't used my G90 is quite some time... which cable is it that the G90 needs... I am also helping a new ham out with this and wanted to point him to the right cable for the Digirig.

15. N5SMO

N5SMO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The USB cable would be used between the computer and digirig. That is why you have a digirig, no sound card in the radio. The radio to digirig connection would be audio cables.

K2HAT likes this.