ad: portazero-1

Happy Birthday QRZ: We're 30!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KF7WIS, Apr 24, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

New Operating Award Celebrates QRZ’s 30th Anniversary

It’s been eight years since QRZ began our operating awards program and in that time, we have issued over 373,000 awards. We want to thank all of you who use the QRZ Logbook on a daily basis, and there are A LOT of you. At this time, QRZ logbooks contain over 817 Million QSOs!

Our newest operating award is called the 30 Years of QRZ Award and it is based solely on communications between QRZ users. The award is achieved when an operator has successfully completed on-air contacts with 30 members of QRZ from around the world. The award celebrates QRZ’s 30th Anniversary by recognizing your achievements.

We encourage you to take a look at the QRZ Awards Analyzer to see whether you qualify for the 30 Years of QRZ Award at this time or to see how many more contacts you’ll need to qualify.
    Sample 30 Award.jpg

Thank you and 73 from the QRZ Team!

QRZ Awards are FREE

As a member of QRZ with a valid amateur radio license, you are eligible to earn awards based on your QRZ Logbook contents. Your QRZ operating awards show up on your callsign page in a special tab called "Awards". There is no requirement to become a QRZ Subscriber to earn operating awards.

Fine lithographed QRZ award certificates are available at a modest cost.

If you would like a handsomely lithographed and numbered certificate with QRZ's signature holographic seal of authenticity, you may order them directly from your callsign page. These certificates were custom designed for our members and have been reproduced on fine paper by a commercial printing company. They have a gorgeous, high quality look and feel that uniquely recognizes the hard work and dedication used in earning your award.

Applying for an award is simple once you have the confirmed QSOs in your logbook!

From your logbook, simply click "Awards," select the logbook(s) to use toward the award by following the instructions on that page, and select the award heading that you're interested in. From there you will be shown the analysis of your logbook for that award in the Mixed mode. If eligible, you will be presented with a Congratulations screen, and given the option to apply.

To view a different mode, such as CW, Digital, or Phone, simply select the mode from the "Award Type" drop-down menu, and a new analysis will be completed. Like before, if you are eligible, you will be presented with a Congratulations screen, and given the option to apply.

Note: Platinum Subscribers receive one complimentary certificate per year. Life Members are entitled to unlimited certificates.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2023
    DB5HA, KD4RUR, KD9TED and 86 others like this.
  2. N8QQE

N8QQE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And a big thanks back at all of you at QRZ! I really enjoy this site and all of its features. The Logbook is exceptional well done, I use it daily. Honestly, whenever Im on the radio (almost daily) I always have QRZ up and running... occasional (and very rarely), when its down the radio just isnt the same, its a huge part of how I enjoy this great hobby!

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, WH6ERS and 30 others like this.
  3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's a major Milestone and QRZ was started really before the start of the internet as we know it today.

I remember getting the QRZ Call sign database and loading it. That does go back a long time.

When I make a contact, I always plug the call into QRZ, at the very beginning of the QSO. It's a good operating habit to have .... ..

Thank you

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, WH6ERS and 23 others like this.
  4. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

QRZ is a great website and resource. Please, keep up the great work! BZ

K8PG, YD1DLM, TA1TRJ and 19 others like this.
  5. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks QRZ! Looking forward to another 30 years. Hope I am around that long. I have Volume 3 of the database on CD Summer 1994, so i have been using QRZ nearly as long as it has existed. By chance do you have Vol. 1 for sale? I wish I had it.

QRZ CD.png

TA1TRJ, KQ4GUI, KK7OBW and 26 others like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Same here - back in 1995 computers weren't much at multi-tasking - so I had TWO of them in my shack: one for my Excel logging, and the other for my QRZ CD ROM for lookups LOL!!

Dave
    W7UUU

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, YG3BOF and 20 others like this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember watching an interview of Fred a few years ago, on how he started the QRZ database and later the web site.

I think a link to that on here would be great, outlining how he started QRZ.

I'm sure there's several interviews out there.

I know in past post there's been discussions of the whole history, maybe a review of that or links would also be very interesting.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/QRZ.com

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, AC9YY and 11 others like this.
  8. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

TA1TRJ, KQ1O, TA2IRX and 1 other person like this.
  9. N9WFT

N9WFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just learned about the QRZ /30 Award this evening! I applied for mine this evening and it is already on my QRZ Page. I want to personally thank all the staff at QRZ for such a great and easy to use site. This site enhances our Ham Radio operating expirence, and I as many others here, want to thank those that make QRZ work a big round of applause. Thank you for this great Amateur Radio site. Dan - N9 Windy Forever Talker, El Paso, IL

TA1TRJ, K9FH, N7EKB and 9 others like this.
  10. BI4KYT

BI4KYT Ham Member QRZ Page

Happy birthday to QRZ30!
    QRZ is the home of HAM in the world. I go home almost everyday!
    Thanks to the founder and staff of QRZ!
    Thanks to all the neighbors living in QRZ!

RA3RLJ, TA1TRJ, K8PG and 12 others like this.
  11. W7TCT

W7TCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just looked at the award and WOW!!! 2,286 out of 5,264 total QSOs and 4,410 confirmed!

About 43% of all of my Zed QSOs and 52% confirmed!!

I have been a ham for only 6 years and was a QRZ member before even getting my license. I used the practice tests a lot! And, the Logbook is my primary logbook. Sure, backed up with LOTW but the Zed Logbook is the truth.

Thank you very, very much to Fred and all of the Zed staffers, volunteers and fellow hams.

30 years, eh? Well, let's go another 30.

73 to you and yours,
    -Tom

UPDATE: in the few minutes it took me to post the above, I was granted the award! Thank you!!

TA1TRJ, N7EKB, KF5KWO and 6 others like this.
  12. N3WVB

N3WVB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

Thank You QRZ

KQ4QCQ, YD1DLM, TA1TRJ and 6 others like this.
  13. SV1RUX

SV1RUX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, Jaime.
    Keep 'em coming!

73s
    Dave SV1RUX

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, BI4KYT and 3 others like this.
  14. EB1AD

EB1AD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

buen trabajo QRZ NO IMAGINO HACER RADIO SIN QRZ

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, 2E0CIT and 11 others like this.
  15. PD7V

PD7V Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

First of all, congratulations on QRZ's thirtieth birthday. QRZ is easy to understand, and in combination with LOTW the perfect website for all HAM operators. Let the not yet subscribers, give you a nice gift for the thirtieth birthday, and do this from now on. Thank you for your fantastic work. 73 51 & 88 from Nijmegen the Netherlands

YD1DLM, TA1TRJ, N7EKB and 8 others like this.