ad: CQMM-1

Bob Heil Interview Series #1 & #2: Beginnings, and Ham Radio EQ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W7UUU, Mar 13, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I recently had a very long interview with Dr. Bob Heil, legendary founder of Heil Sound, pioneer of live sound reinforcement techniques and technologies - touring extensively with the Grateful Dead, Joe Walsh (WB6ACU), Jeff Beck, Peter Frampton, and The Who (notably Quadrophenia), as well has the nearly decade-long success as the host of Ham Nation on TWiT TV, with co-host Gordon West.

His list of accomplishments is long and wide, with amazing experiences along the way not only in rock & roll music but deeply in the world of amateur radio as K9EID. This series documents many of these events in Bob's own words - recounting many of his adventures over the years.

The material from this initial long interview has been distilled down into 12 episodes of 10 minutes or shorter segments, each covering a different topic of our discussion.

Because the first two segments are shorter, both videos are linked below:

#1: Ham Radio & Theater Organ Beginnings - short stories how Bob first got started on his life-long passion and career as a Theater Organ musician, as well as a brief look into his start into Amateur Radio

#2: Ham Transceiver EQ - Bob was directly instrumental in the adoption of microphone EQ in the ham transceiver offerings of all of the "Big Three" Japanese radio manufacturers: Kenwood, Icom, and Yaesu. In this video he explains how all of that came to be.

Next week's video #3 will be "The Pine Board Project" - one of the most famous DIY ham radio projects ever!

Dave
    W7UUU

#1: Ham Radio & Theater Organ Beginnings

#2: Ham Transceiver EQ

VK5FUSE, N7EIL, N5GIT and 6 others like this.
  2. W7XTZ

W7XTZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, triple U. Awesome video we saw at the clubhouse. Looking forward to seeing more!
    73 de Mike w7xtz:confused:

3. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mike! There are 12 interview segments in all so I'll post up one a week.

Bob is SUCH a nice guy!!

Dave
    W7UUU

K0TWA and K0UO like this.
  4. W3BAT

W3BAT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have known Bob Heil for a long time. He is a straight shooter and really understands audio (human listening), phasing with microphone technology and is a strong advocate for ham radio. Mark W3BAT

K0UO likes this.
  5. VA1TIM

VA1TIM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Mike!

There's only one Bob! I wrote him before buying my first mic (and the one I currently use), the HM-12. I was on a budget ands he steered me in the right direction. I wish his concert sound book was still in print. He's forgotten more than most of us will ever know.

Thanks again and 73!,

Tim
    VE1XR

VK5FUSE and K0UO like this.
  6. W7TRD

W7TRD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Super Cool!! Mahalo's!

7. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

Fun to watch videos. Nice job! Mr. Bob Heil seems like a really nice fellow!

8. W7UUU

He's SUPER nice! Great guy and man has he had some crazy experiences over many years.

10 more installments to follow in the coming weeks

Dave
    W7UUU

VK5FUSE, K0UO and NZ4X like this.
  9. NZ4X

NZ4X Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Swapmeet Lead QRZ Page

Bob was licensed 8 years before I was born! :) The pioneers in Ham Radio are now getting up there in age so you do not know how many more interviews they will be giving. Its great you were able to interview him.

VK5FUSE, N0YPD and W7UUU like this.
  10. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good video to watch, I have Heil Microphone’s in all my HF rigs in the shack, I often get good Audio reports. Anyway I saw Bob Heil in a west Coast Ham Radio show, for brief moment, after someone pointed him out to me, interesting enough I didn’t know much about Bob Heil early life had to do as Organist playing gigs, W6FRD. Thanks to Bob Heil he brought credibility and quality Sound to Amateur Radio.

VK5FUSE, W7UUU and NZ4X like this.
  11. W7UUU

Later in the series, you'll see him play the organ for our interview! He actually had it set up and plugged into his studio mixer as part of our interview video feed so he played a segment live.

That happens in installment #11 of the series

Dave
    W7UUU

VK5FUSE and K0UO like this.
  12. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had coffee with Bob a few years ago, and he was a down-to-earth gentleman; hard to say that about certain folks in the hobby these days.

I did have one of his (Bob's) D-104 Replacement Microphone Kits, but honestly, I found (and the results were reported) that the W2ENY D-104 microphone replacement was, vastly, a better performer... and at only 30% of the cost. Got to save a shekel here and there!

VK5FUSE likes this.
  13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I rely on his Mics and his advice. Have his handbook. Thanks for posting the vids.

VK5FUSE, K0UO and W7UUU like this.
  14. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, Really enjoyed this. It sent me down a rabbit hole learning more about Dr. Heil! A truly impressive individual and very good speaker. Looking forward to the rest of the interview series. Thanks for doing it.

VK5FUSE and W7UUU like this.
  15. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Both my XYL Barb N0UO and I will be looking forward to all of those interviews.

N0UO and I both have enjoyed listening to him at several Keynote Banquets over the years.

We have also had him at our dinner table at several others over the years. It's always good have an eyeball QSO with Bob.

Thank You for taking the time
    73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" Miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

VK5FUSE, N4JOL and W7UUU like this.