ad: Flexradio-1

“Papa” POTA Promotes Ham Radio in the Dominican Republic: David Lama HI8D

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Feb 14, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI8D.jpg
    David Lama is known alternatively (and affectionately) as “Papa “POTA, HI8D and NK4Q. David is so active on air, and so well known within the overall Parks on the Air community, that he refers to many of his repeat contacts as his POTA family. He’s activated dozens of parks in the Dominican Republic with his wife, Annabel-many for the first time, has been an encouraging Elmer to numerous hams, and always finds time to activate in the United States during his frequent visits. Numerous Dominican Republic hams credit David for singlehandedly reinvigorating the ham radio community in their country. Join me in this conversation with David to learn more about his ham radio journey and to meet some of his many ham friends in his Hamcation 2023 photo album.

W9EBE, KF4IZP, KI5VUH and 15 others like this.
  2. HI8ESF

HI8ESF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

David, HI8D, NK4Q is an invaluable Elmer to the Dominican Ham Radio Community. His vast experience in Ham radio and valuable advice have made me improve in ham radio during the past few years! Congratulations David, well deserved! 73 De HI8ESF

KF4IZP, K8LJM, KR5QA and 4 others like this.
  3. KD3MAD

KD3MAD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Have had the pleasure of hunting him down on numerous occasions. Furthermore, he'll take the time to ensure a clean QSO when the conditions are bad or otherwise not optimum. Honor to have David in my logs...several times!

HI8ESF, K8LJM, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  4. HI8VJS

HI8VJS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations to both of you, you have a lot to offer, your videos can be nominated for a little "Oscar", HI8D and NK4Q are synonymous with very good practice in the Dominican Republic and the world. Continue to reap sucess....
    73 de HI8VJS

NM9X, KF4IZP, K8LJM and 2 others like this.
  5. KX5JT

KX5JT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good operator. Nice signal from Dom in Dominica into Louisiana. Going to try for him from Vermont, maybe even P2P would be fun.

73 de KX5JT

K8LJM, N4FZ and W1DED like this.
  6. WN1C

WN1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Very glad to have HI8POTA operated by HI8D as P2P QSOs from last year and HI8D in the log from my hunting over the most recent holidays! Best of activations and thanks for the contacts, David.

K8LJM and W1DED like this.
  7. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you Victor! It was my honor to have this conversation with David and to promote his good work! 73, Kevin W1DED

K8LJM, KR5QA and HI8VJS like this.
  8. VA3WEX

VA3WEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool. I park-to-parked with him last summer; a memorable DX contact with my QRP rig. Nice to "meet" him, so to speak.

9. W1SRR

W1SRR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

David is one of the many Operators within the POTA community that help make this niche of Amatuer radio both fun and educational. I have met with David a few times as he frequents Florida and it is always a pleasure. Hope to work with David many more times in the future. Un placer!

K8LJM, HI8VJS and W1DED like this.
  10. VU3FBU

VU3FBU Ham Member QRZ Page

All the best, and Congratulations.

73s De VU3FBU
    Krishnendu

11. CA3FJK

CA3FJK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

way to go HI8D!

W1DED and K8LJM like this.
  12. K8LJM

K8LJM Ham Member QRZ Page

I have just been getting in to POTA Hope to get you soon 73 Levi K8LJM

W1DED likes this.
  13. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

David, I hope your wife gets her license. I bet she would have fun doing it. My wife got her General ticket just so she could activate parks with me. She's a kindergarten teacher, and very 'non-techie'. If SHE can do it, so can your wife!

W9EBE and K8LJM like this.
  14. KI5VUH

KI5VUH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually had a POTA contact with HI8D today.

W1DED likes this.
  15. NM9X

NM9X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's always a joy to contact David. He's often activating during my afternoon work commute, and it certainly makes the drive less tedious having him along for the ride. He's gotten to know me well enough that when our contact is a park to park, he already anticipates my wife, WV2P as a second op. Definitely a top tier role model

73 de Frank, NM9X