ad: TinyPaddle-1

Issue 12: From Startup to Market Leader: MFJ’s Martin Jue

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Feb 15, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello, thanks for joining our Forum Discussion about the column located at this link. If you have comments or would like to jump in with any subject at all, please do so. The author will be standing by!

N3RYB likes this.
  2. KG5SUZ

KG5SUZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you for the MFJ article. Very informative and also enlightening. Mr Jue shows the true American spirit, missing so much in these days of wokeness.
    I have been reading your articles since you started a few months ago, nice. Please keep it up.
    73 Ed KG5SUZ

W7XLR, N4ZAW, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. W7DGJ

Thanks Ed. Sure appreciate having you here. Hope to meet you on the air, Dave

4. W3TKB

W3TKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave:

Great article on Martin and the development of MFJ. I know there are a lot of detractors out there that constantly "poo-poo" the company, it's products, and its quality control... but for me I've had nothing but positive experiences with every single piece of MFJ equipment I've purchased. Never had a breakdown or failure, and the few times I emailed them with a technical question I got a quick response.

Maybe they had issues in the past, but as far as I'm concerned they are a top notch company and a credit to Martin Jue's entrepreneurial spirit.

Brando

5. W7DGJ

Thanks Brando. My experience has been similar to yours . . . I'm impressed with Martin's attitude and spirit, and I have the suspicion that he'll never retire and that he'll want to run this business into it's next phase. He doesn't treat it like a job. It's a mission, a passion for him, and that came out in every point that he made. Thank you for being a reader. Best regards, Dave W7DGJ

6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a problem with a radio - the MFJ-9200. Sent it in with a detailed description of troubleshooting performed etc. They sent a replacement a day after the rig hit their dock. They even reused the custom foam block I had made to ship the item in - this at my request.

When I politely asked for a deader (carcass) to do photo work for a manual - sent they one right away. I posted the resulting 60 page manual for open use. I have no problem with the folks at MFJ.
    However, given their price structure of last, I have not made any purchase since the -9200/HS-1A.

FWIW, if you try to repair an item, it does not void the MFJ warranty. Very unusual in the biz.

7. W7DGJ

Thanks Don. Good to hear your experiences. I agree with your final line here about how unusual it is to be able to work on the gear and not lose the warranty coverage! I think this all stems from Martin's own involvement and how he feels about getting in and working on radios,etc. Dave

N1CZZ likes this.
  8. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for nice article.
    MFJ fanboy here.

David, K2WPM

9. W7DGJ

Thank you David. There are a lot of those out there . . . Dave, W7DGJ

10. K9UR

K9UR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Martin and the folks at MFJ have done a lot for advancing the hobby.

Nice article !

N1CZZ likes this.
  11. W7DGJ

Thank you Joe! Good to have you here, Dave

12. W9TR

W9TR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“I think that the ham radio hobby will be with us for a long time because it is a social and technical hobby that keeps people interacting with each other and challenges the mind." MFJ

What a wonderful summation of the essence of a great hobby.

13. W7DGJ

I agree with you Tom. It was at the end of the exchange with Martin and I realized I hadn't asked him all that much about Ham Radio. I'm so glad I asked him, because that quote is a great addition to the scope of his discussion . . . he's truly been an innovator his whole life. And to add a note, he's one of the nicest people I've met in a long time. Typical of the ham radio community! Dave, W7DGJ

W9TR likes this.
  14. N2PTB

N2PTB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

As always Great Article Dave, giving us the inside story. There should be a Ham Radio Pulitzer Prize you sure have earned it.

15. W7DGJ

Made my day -- thanks Angel! Dave