ad: UR5CDX-1

The Explosive Growth of Parks On The Air: Meet the Founder W3AAX

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W1DED, Jan 22, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W1DED_004_W3AAX_QRZBlock.jpg
    Jason Johnston is the founder and president of the wildly successful Parks on the Air (POTA) program. With over 325,000 participants since the program’s inception in 2017, Parks on the Air, and its underlying principles, clearly resonates deeply within the ham radio community. Parks on the Air encourages amateur radio operators to develop the expertise to operate portably while visiting qualifying national and state parks. The hams that do so are called Activators and those that make contact with them are referred to as Hunters. With well over 9,000,000 QSO’s logged to-date, and the rapid expansion of the program worldwide, Parks on the Air has earned a special status in the ever evolving world of amateur radio.

K0BAK, K9EZ, KN4OLA and 15 others like this.
  2. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

i just got my 400th pota station...!!!!
    great job to those who are the activators...we as hunters love you guys and gals...keep up the great work....your effort is greatly appreciated

K6YYL, W7WGC, KM4MDR and 10 others like this.
  3. W6LEN

W6LEN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Along with Parks on The Air ( POTA ) there is also World Wide Flora and Fauna ( WWFF )

World Wide Flora & Fauna in Amateur Radio

Make nature your shack !
    WWFF, World Wide Flora and Fauna in Amateur Radio, is encouraging to leave your shack and go outside portable operating in Protected Flora@Fauna areas (PFF) all over the world.

More than 26.000 Protected Flora@Fauna (PFF) areas, world wide are already registered in our WWFF Directory. Hunters and Activators can apply for colorful awards, globally and national.

More information can be found at https://wwff.co/

KB5ILL, VE1RPX, AF8E and 9 others like this.
  4. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

POTA and WWFF are great programs.

With more RF noise in the suburbs making it hard for DX stations to be heard, POTA has given us new opportunities to make contacts.
    With an added incentive to go portable our end as we also need a low noise floor to hear them.

KN6KTI, K3XQ, VE1RPX and 10 others like this.
  5. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WWFF is even older than the NPOTA program by several years. In fact at one time Jason W3AAX was the national coordinator for KFF, the US division for WWFF. It’s interesting that he doesn’t even mention that in talking about the history of POTA.

VE1RPX, ON3UA, W7USD and 4 others like this.
  6. ON4VT

ON4VT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

He's not telling everyting ..... once (2016) I digged him out of the mud to become KFF coordiantor ... without that POTA would never excist.

VE1RPX, N1RBD, ON3UA and 4 others like this.
  7. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

POTA is some good times and another place to make some new friends. Try to hit it at least once a day if time permits.

W7WGC, K1CWB, IK2ODD and 2 others like this.
  8. N7DBI

N7DBI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Congrats!

W1DED likes this.
  9. N3KAE

N3KAE Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely! There are TWO outstanding park programs on this planet. Regardless of the broader similarities and differences between them, you will find over 6250+ locations within the USA and its territories that are cross-referenced between WWFF-KFF and POTA. There are another 2800+ cross-referenced WWFF-VEFF/POTA locations in Canada, and many more in a number of European countries, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and more. Take some time to check out the WWFF Map, the KFF-POTA Cross-Reference List and the VEFF-POTA Cross-Reference List for yourself. You did you know cross-reference lists like these existed… Right?

You may also be surprised to learn about the Activators that support both park programs, and the number of newer park enthusiasts that join WWFF once they learn another park program actually exists. I mean why would someone knowingly turn down the additional credit available to them when they are “Dual-Activating” one of these cross-referenced locations? You already ventured out, endured the expense(s), you’ve spent the time and made the QSOs. The only thing standing between you and the additional credit is an email with your ADIF log attached for upload to the WWFF system. Another option is to use mParks Converter. This FREE program converts ADIF’s between (POTA<->WWFF) formats and it could be configured to email logs to a specific WWFF coordinator once the conversion and file renaming process completes. Those who “Dual-Hunt” also support two park programs instead of just one. Check out the WWFF Top Operators page and you will find some very familiar call signs with their levels of activity over the years.

73 44 - Al, N3KAE

W7WGC, KB5ILL, VE1RPX and 6 others like this.
  10. M0HEM

M0HEM Ham Member QRZ Page

as a hunter i love you guys and gals...keep up the great work....your effort is greatly appreciated

K1CWB, W9EBE, W4NNF and 1 other person like this.
  11. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

How do we go about getting more parks recognized in our State? There are so many that aren't State or Fed, but are city owned that are huge, and magnificent places to hike or play radio, but there's no POTA accreditation for those locations.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2023
    N3ZKI, KD6HOF, K4FMH and 3 others like this.
  12. W2JLD

W2JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Rochester ny we have monroe county parks system and many park are available for ham ops

NU4R likes this.
  13. N3KAE

N3KAE Ham Member QRZ Page

There are TWO outstanding park programs on this planet. Regardless of the broader similarities and differences between them, you will find over 6250+ locations within the USA and its territories that are cross-referenced between WWFF-KFF and POTA. There are another 2800+ cross-referenced WWFF-VEFF/POTA locations in Canada, and many more in a number of European countries, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and more. Take some time to check out the WWFF Map, the KFF-POTA Cross-Reference List and the VEFF-POTA Cross-Reference List for yourself. You did you know cross-reference lists like these existed… Right?

You may also be surprised to learn about the Activators that support both park programs, and the number of newer park enthusiasts that join WWFF once they learn another park program actually exists. I mean why would someone knowingly turn down the additional credit available to them when they are “Dual-Activating” one of these cross-referenced locations? You already ventured out, endured the expense(s), you’ve spent the time and made the QSOs. The only thing standing between you and the additional credit is an email with your ADIF log attached for upload to the WWFF system. Another option is to use mParks Converter. This FREE program converts ADIF’s between (POTA<->WWFF) formats and it could be configured to email logs to a specific WWFF coordinator once the conversion and file renaming process completes. Those who “Dual-Hunt” also support two park programs instead of just one. Check out the WWFF Top Operators page and you will find some very familiar call signs with their levels of activity over the years.

73, 44, and POTA on - Al, N3KAE

KM4MDR, VE1RPX, W9EBE and 3 others like this.
  14. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Another good interview Kevin, I enjoyed it.

I like chasing different OTA stations, as well as special events etc., but POTA is easily my favorite. I think they've done a great job with the program.

IK2ODD, W9EBE and W1DED like this.
  15. W1DED

W1DED Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for watching, Claude. I appreciate the feedback and also really enjoy the POTA program!

IK2ODD and K1CWB like this.