ad: wmr-1

Profile of Howard Mills, W3HM

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA3VJB, Jan 9, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Howard Mills, W3HM is a nationally recognized expert in the repair and restoration of vintage radios. People who want a top quality job are convinced by the results of his 30 years of working on transmitters from the little Johnson Ranger to the big Collins 20V2, and receivers that include the famous R390(A), the SP600 and the AR88, the senior Collins models like the 32V series transmitters, as well as the junior tabletop Collins models.

Howard, 77, at the end of December 2022 came down with the coronavirus. At Day Five, I encountered him in a popular area of the phone band for AM on 75 meters, and had an extended QSO that serves to recount how he is doing, his prospects for the future, and a look back on his past.

This aircheck recording was made from an internet receiver using the Kiwi SDR platform that provides a visual portrayal of what's being heard.

I also have included some video I shot nearly 30 years ago, as Howard showed us in dramatic fashion the "before" and "after" of a Collins 75A4. The QSO and interview produced here runs about a half hour, and I believe it will be worth your time.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    KK5R, NR9Q, KC7HDE and 9 others like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wishing Howard the best of health in his recovery!

KD8GZE, KL5LD, W0TDH and 1 other person like this.
  3. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Very interesting AM qso worth listening, that’s what makes ham radio fun to listen. W6FRD

KL5LD and WA3VJB like this.
  4. N2NOW

N2NOW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

good stuff. an interesting listen...

KL5LD and WA3VJB like this.
  5. W0TDH

W0TDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been to Howard's QTH several times. Brought him ailing Collins equipment that came back looking like it just came from Ceder Rapids.
    Still have one 32V3 that Howard brought back to life in 2012. The audio changes he made get very good reports using D-104.
    Always enjoyed our visits. Get well soon Howard. 73, Tom WØTDH

KL5LD, WA3VJB and W1YW like this.
  6. KL5LD

KL5LD Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I love radio! Thank you for the post! :)

WA3VJB likes this.
  7. K6CTW

K6CTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the post, a most interesting QSO. Have seen some of Howard's work and it is superb!

WA3VJB likes this.
  8. K5SOP

K5SOP Ham Member QRZ Page

One of the finest gentleman I have had the pleasure to get to know. I have visited Howard several times to pick up or drop off equipment for restoration. On one occasion I stopped by to drop off a Johnson Viking II. I set it down on his patio and we began disassembly. Within a few hours, Howard had flushed out and cleaned the chassis, polished the knobs while the chassis dried in the sun. Then painted the iron, installed a fresh newly painted panel and cabinet. It was a great visit and I drove off with a brand new EF Johnson Viking II that operated beautifully. Check my Bio and see some of Howards work. Thanks Howard.

KK5R and WA3VJB like this.
  9. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

I knew Howard in the 1970-80 time period when wlater e were at Killeen/Ft. Hood, TX. Very fine gentleman. He was a Major then and was transferred later to The Hague in Holland.

We recently recontacted each other. his hobby back then was a metal detector; he found a West Point class ring in his back yard with it. Since the rings have a serial number, he expected to find the original owner of the lost ring.

KD8GZE and WA3VJB like this.
  10. K9BAW

K9BAW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I certainly hope that Howard is passing along his craft to a younger person to step in for the day Howard retires. Treasures like him are far and few between now a days.

W3KW and WA3VJB like this.
  11. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

For all interested, I spoke with Howard on Monday January 23, and he is doing very well staying busy with his (as everyone knows) top of the line restoration business.

W3KW, K4AAM and WA3VJB like this.
  12. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for following up. He is a tough bird.

W3KW, NE2I, KK5R and 1 other person like this.
  13. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Howard. One of a kind. What an interesting (and generous) guy. My first visit to his house you’d swear I was going to Joe Walsh’s house (Eagles). He’s a legend and requires too many descriptors to list here. I own one of his 75A-4’s and a 32V-2. If you’ve never seen under the hood of one of his restorations, you’d be amazed at what you’d find. Every piece of metal polished to a shiny finish. No detail too small to be addressed. Just unreal. I bought a 75A-2 and 75A-3 from him, both in great shape but unrestored. He is going to help me do it myself. Talk about an Elmer! Come on! I’m dropping off a receiver there for a friend and a few cases he’s going to recondition for me in a week or two. I’ll report back here after my visit. Who will replace these legends when they stop restoring this legacy gear for us?

Very nice thread here.

Wes
    W3KW

14. WA4KCN

WA4KCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Wes. I drove to his QTH from Arkansas 2 weeks ago with my German Shepherd Augustus. I was there for the better part of one day. While there a ham walked in (Howard did not know him) with a radio not working. Howard stopped and began looking at the radio. In 30 minutes it was fixed. The gentleman asked “how much?” Nothing, no charge, I didn’t do anything. He and his XYL are two wonderful people.

15. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Russel-

That's a sweet station you have there. I need a 75A-1 from Howard to match my 32V-2! I have the speaker already to go.

Yes, Howard tried to pull that on me. He restored (for the previous owner) my 75A-4 20 years ago to the month that I brought it to him for repair. He said, "it's on me...I stand by my work." I slipped him $100. The guy has to eat! Plus, he needs to be rewarded for his skill. He is way too generous...if there is such a thing. He is a gift to this hobby that cannot be overstated.

Wes
    WKW