ad: UR5CDX-1

India joins Beaches On The Air

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VU3HZW, Jan 5, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. VU3HZW

VU3HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

A two-member team of amateurs from West Bengal – VU3IBL & VU3IZV activated India’s first beach on the air. The activations were on the 18th and 19th of December from Mousumi Island Beach (Grid – NL41). The team also made use of the special callsign – AU2SOA for this beach activation.

The team was actively supported by the Parks of the Air – India team for this first-ever beach activation from India.
    [​IMG]

Mousuni Island is located towards the Southern end of West Bengal. It is surrounded by the Bay of Bengal on three sides and a river on one side.

Beaches On The Air is a global award scheme for radio amateurs that promotes portable operation from beaches. Rolls of honour and awards for activators (those who operate from the beaches) and chasers (those who contact them from home or elsewhere). You can participate from any beach, country or region around the world.

More info: https://www.beachesontheair.com

VE7JAI, KN4YEM, KG4BFR and 18 others like this.
  2. KQ1V

KQ1V Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

... you are the wind beneath my wings.

AK5B and VU3IBL like this.
  3. W6FRD

W6FRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow the thats exciting , i myself love the beach, even more fun having a ham radio to make contact’s world wide to say the least,with all that salt water makes great conductivity, W6FRD

EC1CW and VU3IBL like this.
  4. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Like I actually needed another excuse to hang out on Daytona Beach. Although, the XYL is gonna love this one.

WA7FSH, KT4PH, N3OB and 4 others like this.
  5. K1VCT

K1VCT Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a group that regularly sets up in Daytona Beach at the city owned strip of grass between the Hilton and the boardwalk....... I think they only operate on 6m and 2m.

EC1CW, VU3IBL and NU4R like this.
  6. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW!!! never thought of beaches on the air....sounds wondersul and another excuse to operate portable. We have many beaches
    nearby Lake Michigan, Bass Lake, and dozens of other beaches less than an hour away.

KN4YEM, EC1CW, VU3IBL and 1 other person like this.
  7. KF5VDX

KF5VDX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I operate from along the beach/bay complex here in South Texas. It is hard to beat seeing the sights and sounds as I operate. The saltwater here is the key, it boosts low angle Dx patterns off my antennas. I use short mag mounted antennas and literally work the world with 1/4 wave verticals.
    Guys you’ll be amazed….once you try a couple outings to a beach you’ll never see home operating from the same viewpoint.
    Keep it simple….1/4 wave antennas with a couple radials, radio and tuner.
    I use a hustler 5 ft extension with a 102 inch whip magnet mounted on my truck cab, small tuner works 10-12-15-17! I also use a chameleon telescopic 17 whip for 20 meters, it can be manually tuned in length if needed. I’m very lazy so not a lot to carry and deal with is perfect. Takes about 2 minutes to deploy either setup. I’m sure hamstick type antennas will also be great….get as CLOSE to the saltwater as possible not back in the dunes….next to the water or marsh and Try it!, it’s simple and results are simply amazing. Give yourself a holiday or two in 2023. Garry

EC1CW, VU3IBL, W9EBE and 1 other person like this.
  8. N6JPG

N6JPG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to live in New Mexico. As we used to say there, we had miles and miles of beach; no ocean, but lots of beach. This whole thing sounds fun. Love to operate portable from the beach already.

G3SEA, W9EBE, EC1CW and 1 other person like this.
  9. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I the only one who thought this post was about Indiana Jones?

W9EBE and K3XR like this.
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Looks that way!:D

Just watched "Raiders" for don't know how many times last night. When you start saying the actor's lines before they do you know it's too many times.

K9NUD likes this.
  11. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

Question: Can a beach activation qualify if the beach is located on an inland lake like El Dorado Lake in Kansas, for example? Or is it just for beaches on bays, gulfs and oceans? (Waiting to sign up for an account for now; I'm currently at work as I post this.)

12. KT4PH

KT4PH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Kinda like me with the Star Wars movies!

13. WA7WJR

WA7WJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This page explains it in a rather obscure way, but essentially the answer is YES.
    What qualifies as a beach for Beaches On The Air? | Beaches On The Air

14. WQ1C

WQ1C Ham Member QRZ Page

WA7WJR likes this.