ad: M2Ant-1

Issue #7: For the Love of QRP

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by W7DGJ, Jan 3, 2023.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Right on target. There is a time and a place for QRP but not all times and not all places for the reason you mentioned. Propagation and other bands factors permitting I enjoy working QRP from time to time, but I don't appreciate having to strain my brain trying to copy a signal that would otherwise be readable with some more power. A matter of being considerate.

AC9YY and W7DGJ like this.
  2. K5RIX

K5RIX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first rig was a HW-8 I built. Shoes off to the stations that could copy me!

W7DGJ likes this.
  3. W5OHM

W5OHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I got my technician (conditional) license in Germany - operated as DA4BT while I was there. When I got home (1977) my first HF CW QSO was with a Heathkit HW-7.

W7DGJ likes this.
  4. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great little rig. I built some Heathkit gear in 1965-66 and I wish I still had it. The HW-8 is profiled nicely at https://wd8rif.com/hw8.htm.

5. W7DGJ

Sweet radio, Dale . . . not as popular as the later HW-8, and more limited band use. Profiled at https://wd8rif.com/hw7.htm. How much power did those put out?

6. K1CWB

K1CWB Ham Member QRZ Page

Good read, I enjoyed this column. I started my HF experience by running QRP more than three years ago and still mostly like to operate QRP. I became a QRPer mostly by accident because I figured I'd run more power shortly after I started on HF. Once I realized that getting more wire high enough in the air made my signal nearly as good (sometimes even better) as 100 watt stations I was hooked. There's something about making contacts all over the world with similar wattage of a night light bulb. Only recently have I occasionally run a little more power, but I have no doubt that starting out QRP has helped me hone my skills and made me a better operator.

7. W7DGJ

Hi Claude - Thanks for reading and for your positive comment. I love your analogy of the night light bulb -- so true! Dave

K1CWB likes this.
  8. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Dave, enjoyed the QRP article: Great stuff.
    As you observed, the IC7300 does not turn down to ZERO power.

I have had QSO from a dummy load. I have had 75 meter contacts from a guy running 300 miliwatts to a wire 15 feet off the ground 300 miles away...
    Once copied a California station 1690 miles distant running 50 milliwatts. With a LOW BACKGROUND noise, amazing things are possible.
    Usually I run legal limit as Net Control, my motto: "Talk BIG, Listen Small"

W7DGJ likes this.
  9. W5OHM

W5OHM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I seem to remember it putting out a whopping three watts on forty meters.

W5OHM

W7DGJ likes this.
  10. AA0RI

AA0RI Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave, I've enjoyed all of your articles so far.

I just watched the video on antenna tuners. I have an MFJ 898 BR remote tuner on my DX Engineering 43' vertical and it works really well. I had a problem when it was about a week old and the Tech at MFJ was working with me on my problem to a point. Finally he said we had done all we could over the phone, I had to send the tuner in for repairs. It sounded like it would be there for a long time so I popped the cover and promptly saw a cold looking solder joint on the antenna connector. I hit it with my iron and a dab of fresh solder and it's been working ever since. The tech there was honestly trying to help me but I'm glad I saved myself and them the trouble of sending it back and forth.

I live between Wickenburg and Congress, AZ on Highway 89. If you would like to come to my shack and test that tuner you would be welcome to come out and use one of my transceivers and the 889 BR tuner with my Vertical, a hex beam and an ACOM 1000 Amp. I'd even furnish the coffee.

Let me know if you're interested, my email address is good on QRZ.

Chuck, AA0RI

AC9YY and W7DGJ like this.
  11. W7DGJ

Thanks Chuck - you're a brave man to open up something that's headed back for a warranty repair! Bet you are glad you did, however. Thanks for the invite. My email is good on QRZ as well and when I'm headed that way I'll let you know . . . Dave

12. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I discovered QRP by accident in 2019 when I had been on the air for six months. Had a QSO with an op from LA on SSB and we started dialing down the power to five watts. Now I don't usually run 100w, but usually try to make the contact with 5 watts or less, mostly CW but also SSB. I like to work POTA stations with 5w and it's a challenge to break through all the stronger stations., When conditions are right, the other op is surprised that I am running QRP.
    One op has described QRP as the fly fishing of ham radio.

WA5RML and K1CWB like this.
  13. W7DGJ

Thanks Rich. I think most people "dial up," and not "dial down" on their Power output. Too bad, they miss all the fun.

As an aside, I used a fishing analogy also in my article in case you didn't read it. I disagree a bit when you say it's like "fly fishing." I enjoy fishing as well, and I can tell you that there's a lot of emphasis in fly fishing on the apparatus, the accoutrements . . .tying just the right lure, fancy rods and expensive, expensive equipment. It truly is a rich man's hobby. But just sticking a fishing "pole" in a stream or a lake, with minimal "stuff" with you . . . THAT is more like QRP in my opinion. Dave

14. VA3IP

VA3IP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Dave, I couldn't have described this 'emotive' love of radio any better - thank you for helping me remember my early Years of discovery..!

15. W7DGJ

Thanks for reading -- very much appreciated. I'm still new to the QRZ team and very much appreciate the feedback - hope Fred and Jaime see this! Dave, W7DGJ