ad: HamHats-1

Bouvet by... Sailboat? HamRadioNow 454

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K4AAQ, Dec 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K4AAQ

K4AAQ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 3Y0Z DXpedition in 2018 got to within a few hundred yards of Bouvet Island... the 2nd most needed DX entity on the list (after North Korea)... and had to leave when an engine failed on their ship.

The 3Y0J DXpedition also had ship trouble. They contracted with the Braveheart, a stalwart ship that had ferried many DXpeditioners to far-flung lands. Then COVID send the Braveheart's owners into bankruptcy and the ship was sold... for scrap . That DXpedition was cancelled before they could even get off the ground (onto the sea).

And then it wasn't. They found another ship. The MARAMA is a sailboat, yes, a sailboat, designed to take expeditions to the Antarctic and sub-Antarctic frozen islands. Did we mention that it's a sailboat? The DXpedition was back on! They head to sea in mid-January 2023 and expect to be on the air for 22 days, extending into February.

3Y0J crew member Adrian Ciuperca KO8SCA spent a couple of hours with us on HamRadioNow one Sunday evening and filled us in at length and depth.

HamRadioNow programs are available as video on our YouTube channel and Facebook Group, usually recorded live on Sunday nights at 7 pm Pacific / 10 pm Eastern / 0300Z (Monday morning in GMT). The audio is released as a podcast shortly after the show ends. Ask your podcast app for HamRadioNow

N8OZB, M0TUE, KG4BFR and 5 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Our boat the Marama November 2021 - YouTube

fun video on, I believe, the SV identified for the trip.
    the tag reads "The Marama leaving Ushuaia, Argentina last week for the start of the 2021-22 Antarctic sailing season. In November 2022 it will be the 3Y0J team on board leaving for Bouvet!"

KG4BFR and PY2NEA like this.
  3. N6PSE

N6PSE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just two points for clarification:

1) While Covid caused great hardship to Braveheart's owner, there was no Bankruptcy.
    2) Braveheart remains available for charter in New Zealand: https://pacific7.co.nz/workboat-braveheart/

Paul N6PSE

KG4BFR, W8VI, G0OIL and 6 others like this.
  4. K4AAQ

A few minutes of googling on my phone indicate that the ship was sold. It does appear to have new owners, and appears to be in service. Without a bankruptcy, I wonder how they got out from under existing contracts.

Still, this is just a curiosity as part of the bigger picture.

KG4BFR and N4FZ like this.
  5. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

for many reasons, I'd rather be on the sailboat.

ZS6DX, ER5GB, KG4BFR and 3 others like this.
  6. K4AAQ

And you prefer keeping that knowledge to yourself?

Adrian says he was a sailor, and that meant he checked out the ship and was satisfied. I checked them out enough to know that this is their native territory. Clearly it works. As to what makes it superior, I am in the dark.

7. KL7KN

In the OP, an engine failure scuttled the trip.
    On a sailboat, they are called an ‘auxiliary’ engine for a reason.

ZS6DX, F8WBD, KG4BFR and 7 others like this.
  8. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

as above, yeah, sailboats can always move, don't need a motor. sailboats have a nicer motion at sea, the wallowing of power boats makes me seasick. nothing better than the sound of the wind and waves at sea, with no infernal combustion engine racket to destroy the moment.

SP6CNU, ER5GB, S59DM and 8 others like this.
  9. VK2JI

VK2JI Ham Member QRZ Page

You missed from your list the 3Y0I (RebelDX) attempt in 2019 - In their case storms took out the navigation radar and the captain turned them around to head back to Capetown when they were just 70 miles away from the destination. This is another group who got so close but the weather around this little sub-antarctic island creates a lot of difficulties, so good luck to the 3Y0J attempt - God's speed and a safe and fruitful trip.

73 Ed.

ER5GB, KG4BFR, N4FZ and 2 others like this.
  10. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Sailing Yacht Marama or S/Y
    BV Classed etc etc...
    I'd like to charter her any day too

Oliver

KG4BFR and NU4R like this.
  11. W9CYS

W9CYS Ham Member QRZ Page

God speed to the crew and team! Bouvet at -54 is smack dab in the "Furious Fifties". Sail power is very dependable in the Southern Ocean.

N4FZ and PY2NEA like this.
  12. KL7KN

N4FZ, K6CLS, K3WGI and 1 other person like this.
  13. N7XCZ

N7XCZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes God speed and stay safe and many thanks to you and the crew. Hope to work you on many bands.

Ed

ER5GB likes this.
  14. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That sounds like a slow boat to China .... ..

15. K2YWE

K2YWE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

KG4BFR, AI5OI, NU4R and 1 other person like this.