ad: CQMM-1

Issue #2 - POTA Lessons Learned

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by KF7WIS, Nov 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2022
    KK7MXL, K0UO, US7IGN and 2 others like this.
  2. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

This is the forum discussion for anything related to Issue #2! Join us for commentary or suggestions here, Dave W7DGJ

3. W7DGJ

I'd like to note here that the Workman bulldog clip (that's what my ham buddy and I call it) is also sold by other manufacturers who buy it and resell (at a far greater cost than an Amazon or eBay purchase).

KN6KTI and KL7KN like this.
  4. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm puzzled, Who is posting this Jamie or Dave?

5. W7DGJ

Hi, good question. I asked Jaime for some help because she's an old hand at the forum moderation tools and so on. I'm the one responsible for this forum discussion, however. Jaime got me up and running by establishing it, and then as the author of T&E, I'll be the one responding to questions and comments and moderating the site. You can also write me at my QRZ email. Regards, Dave W7DGJ

6. G5WCW

G5WCW Ham Member QRZ Page

So do you get notified of replies or do people have to put a @W7DGJ to inform you?

7. W7DGJ

I would likely see the new post in my daily "Messages" section of QRZ. However, I don't wait for those and review the site and the forum every day, multiple times. At this stage, ensuring it gets kicked off correctly, but likely to check at least every morning in the future.

8. W8ETD

W8ETD Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope you are having better luck with your G-90 as I bought the X-5105 and thought it was quite nice for what it was but after two weeks I was updating the firmware and the recieve is now just static with no signals heard , no matter how strong. I tried to reinstall the firmware again and got the same results. Gigaparts would not repair or replace and I now have a brick... The only place I've found for repair is returning it to China and hope you someday get it back. Any ideas? By the way I like the forum so far and hope it continues, thanks to a fellow Buckeye...

9. W7DGJ

Hey Buckeye - Wow, I've heard horror stories like this before, even with big brands like ICOM or Yaesu. If something goes wrong during a firmware update . . . ZAP. You've got a brick. I'm surprised that they can't exchange it if it was only two weeks old. Xiegu radios are almost ALWAYS sold with older firmware in them. So far, I've left my original firmware intact in the G-90 as the radio works fine, but I'm tempted to see how they've made improvements. My IC-7300 as well needs firmware update. Ugh!

W8ETD likes this.
  10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the Bulldog clip (under another name) and it works well with an old tripod. I have now switched to the $20 Frisbee antenna.
    upload_2022-11-23_11-14-48.jpeg

11. KL7KN

I've found that most of this brand gear is supported by users and not the company.
    I just checked the Groups.IO for this radio - and nothing is there - all but plank.
    Radiooddity - the vendor - has this
    How to Update Xiegu X5105 Firmware? | 2022 Latest Guidance– Radioddity

The key to success seems to be using TeraTerm 4.96. HTH

12. W7DGJ

You've got a great working situation there for outings. How do you like that Frisbee?

KL7KN likes this.
  13. KL7KN

I took it out on a (semi) dry afternoon. Mostly to check the tuning.

The area has so little noise, I thought my KX2 had a bed RX!
    Called CQ to no avail - bad propagation day.

Now I can pull, up, put up my antenna is less time than it takes to deploy the radials and be on the air.
    Going to be fun this coming Spring.

W7DGJ likes this.
  14. AE3NE

AE3NE Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you describe this "$20 Frisbee antenna" in greater detail?

KL7KN likes this.
  15. KL7KN