ad: MLSons-1

Issue #1 - Intro to Trials and Errors

Discussion in 'Trials and Errors - Ham Life with an Amateur' started by KF7WIS, Nov 21, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KF7WIS

KF7WIS QRZ CEO QRZ HQ Staff Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2022
    W4HMB, KV2B, HA2ZB and 11 others like this.
  2. KD9CCE

KD9CCE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the Hugo Gernsback information. I know him from SF, was able to visit Uncle Hugo's in MN years ago. Had no idea of the radio connection. -Fred KD9CCE

3. KD9CCE

KD9CCE Ham Member QRZ Page

4. KU4GW/SK2023

KU4GW/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

I know I'm going to love this series of articles Dave and look forward to every post you make! I'm not only an avid ham, I'm a history buff as well. Have you ever read the book, The Victorian Internet, by Tom Standage? Amazon's intro says, Beginning with the Abbe Nollet's famous experiment of 1746, when he successfully demonstrated that electricity could pass from one end to the other of a chain of two hundred monks, Tom Standage tells the story of the spread of the telegraph and its transformation of the Victorian world. The telegraph was greeted by all the same concerns, hype, social panic and excitement that now surround the Internet, and Standage provides both a fascinating insight into the past and a context in which to think rather differently of today's concerns. Standage has a wonderful prose style and an excellent eye for the telling and engaging story. Popular history at its best.

I loved it and could barely lay it down it was so intriguing!
    "73 & 44 de Cliff, KU4GW"

K0UO, AG6QR, KB0QIP and 2 others like this.
  5. W7DGJ

W7DGJ Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Cool, Fred!!

6. W7DGJ

Thanks for the suggestion and I'll look at that site. Dave

7. W7DGJ

Thanks Cliff. That sounds like the kind of book that i would enjoy a good deal. Checking it out on Amazon! Dave

K0UO likes this.
  8. K0BZ

K0BZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looking forward to these forays into (thus far) lesser known people, places and things of ham radio lore. One of the things that always intrigues me about the hobby is the length that some hams will go to just to get on the air. Specifically I'm talking about indoor antennas and operating positions constructed under constraints such as space, the need for concealment (think HOAs and clandestine purposes), spousal approval, budget, etc. As a DX station for many years, I enjoyed calling QRZ for stations using indoor antennas and then asking for descriptions or even photos of these engineering marvels that could send a signal around the world. Perhaps an idea for a future column.
    73, Brad - K0BZ

K0UO likes this.
  9. N8DXZ

N8DXZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

A wonderful start. Please be sure at some point to tell the sad story of Lee DeForest -- a hero of mine from teenage years. Thanks!
    73, Jerry - N8DXZ

K0UO likes this.
  10. W7DGJ

Hi brad, there's nothing better for me at this time than a good idea. I have committed to at least 3 articles a month, and that's a tough deadline for sure. With an idea like yours, I can see how that might develop into a real interesting review of one angle of our hobby . . . how the desire to get on the air forces thinking and creativity that brings new ideas, new antennas and more. Thank you Brad. Keep coming back, please. Dave

K0BZ likes this.
  11. XE1ICI

XE1ICI Ham Member QRZ Page

Saludos Dave
    Espero ser un asiduo lector de tus artículos , para el pasatiempo o hobby que nos gusta .
    te sugiero que tus artículos sean provechosos en el acerbo cultural .
    Las revistas del hobby han sido esenciales para tener una buena referencia de los equipos que se diseñan y se fabrican , creo que sera un buen tema para algún comentario.

12. W7DGJ

Gracias por su comentario y le deseo todo lo mejor de la temporada de vacaciones. Gracias por ser un lector. dave

13. XE2B

XE2B Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, Great article!
    Thanks

K0UO likes this.
  14. W7DGJ

Thank you XE2B!

15. KC3MIO

KC3MIO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if this will blossom into a competitor of QST.

K0UO likes this.