ad: Schulman-1

QSO Today with Art Bell, W6OBB

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by 4Z1UG, Nov 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. 4Z1UG

4Z1UG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]
    Art Bell, W6OBB, now a silent key, was my guest on Episode 85, in March of 2016 and the interview that follows is the remastered version. Art was a very active ham from his QTH in Pahrump, Nevada, and his 160 meter Rhombic antennas were legendary. He was also one of the most popular late night talk radio hosts for over 30 years, syndicated nationwide until his retirement in 2007. I was a great fan of Art’s and like many of his fans truly miss him on the radio.

https://www.qsotoday.com/podcasts/w6obb5247626

KI6BGI, KE6TZ, N7BUS and 72 others like this.
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

I had the pleasure of a 30 minute QSO with Art on February 2, 2017 (about a year before he passed away as I recall). He was a pleasure to chat with.

Thanks for posting the interview.

Dave
    W7UUU

KG7HVR, W6OBB, WQ6T and 19 others like this.
  3. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

I enjoy listening to reruns of his shows on Coast to Coast AM.

W2EGG, KG7DTF, W6OBB and 22 others like this.
  4. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

What a surprise it was when Art answered my CQ on 10-meters AM one afternoon many years ago! We had a very enjoyable QSO.

73 es ZUT,
    Chip W9EBE

KG7HVR, KK7BTR, W7EDC and 8 others like this.
  5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I knew Art Bell personally and helped him on a number of projects. And spend time with him at his compound in Nevada a few months before he passed.
    I also had him on some of my radio stations. Including his last syndicated show in 2015 which only lasted a few months called,
    "Midnight in the Desert"https://radioinsight.com/headlines/...of-new-affiliates-for-midnight-in-the-desert/

In fact the museum in Pahrump has an area dedicated to him with his hamstation and a few of his log books (are you in the log?)

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
    N9DOK, W7EDC, K0DME and 7 others like this.
  6. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

KE8KCA, VK2FTMN, KD3Y and 4 others like this.
  7. WH6LU

WH6LU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Chatted with Art several times on 75m, A GREAT GUY !!
    one afternoon many years ago I found him on 17m SSB....

KE8KCA, WP4BRI, K0UO and 2 others like this.
  8. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, and despite the terrible video at least now I have an idea of what his compound looked like; so thank you for that. I've been all over most parts of Nevada but never once passed through Pahrump---let alone be lucky enough to either hear (AFAIK) or talk to Art. I'll watch the QSO Today video next and in the meantime, may Art Bell continue to rest in peace.

KE8KCA, VK2FTMN, KD4ULD and 4 others like this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I was stationed at Nellis for over a decade - mostly working as a Range Rat.
    On my off time I would explore the desert, rock climbing, camping, caving, and doing PS work like the Baker to Vegas run. While I miss the climate, I don't miss the crowds or the out-of-control crime. I left for good in 1991 and only returned briefly for conventions as part of my work with Mobile Radio Tecnology.

Art was...unique. I would listen to his show while driving across the desert to fun places like Tonopah or Ely.

KC9WUV, KK7BTR, 4Z1UG and 6 others like this.
  10. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Curious, Steve---so I have to ask, did you ever manage to talk "rhombic to rhombic" with him?

WP4BRI likes this.
  11. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO NV antChrome.jpg
    Yes many times, but technically Art did not really have an actual rhombic.
    It looked like a 2 wire rhombic, however it was designed as a low angle 160-40 meter loop, on the higher bands it did act much like an unterminated Rhombic.
    I have many photos, somewhere of it, about 2WLs on 160 long. It was held up by more than a dozen pipe poles that were about 80 ft tall, the white poles in the photo

Art's Place was easy to find/a mile south is two very famous, Nevada Cat Houses.... ..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    KC9WUV, AA5BK, KE8KCA and 6 others like this.
  12. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I remember when that happened, you were waiting for his QSL card, did you ever receive it?

KI4IMN and WP4BRI like this.
  13. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Sorry to say no

Dave
    W7UUU

WP4BRI likes this.
  14. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Art was a nice guy and I had the chanc to chat with him numorus times. He show is legendary and a shame what the show is today. The people who started issues with him are still floating around the west coast causing other problems. He definatly is missed in broadcast and amateur radio.

KC9WUV, AA5BK, KE8KCA and 12 others like this.
  15. WN9ZWC

WN9ZWC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was and still am, a huge fan of Art. Im a retired LEO and work midnights for many years. Art kept me company night after night when I was on a semi-rural beat in northern Illinois. I miss Art very much. I think of him often. Especially now that we are living in carzy times.

KC9WUV, W6OBB, KL7KN and 10 others like this.