ad: MLSons-1

Ham Goes to FL Shack Hit by Hurricane Ian

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Oct 18, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K8QS

K8QS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Tom, WA9TDD, of Indiana goes to Florida to see what Hurricane Ian did to his winter shack near the eye of the storm. Tom is co-host of Ham Radio Perspectives.

Attached Files:

N3DXD, KF8QL, K3OET and 14 others like this.
  2. W9AWX

W9AWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Thankful you have what you still do there.

N4ZAW likes this.
  3. WA9TDD

WA9TDD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thankful, very much so.

W6RF, W9AWX and W7XLR like this.
  4. WA8MEA

WA8MEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Glad you took the advice to evacuate. I know a man who didn't. He lived on Sanibel Island. He told his wife to leave, but he stayed behind. Whatever for? Needless to say, he lost his life - crushed by a sliding glass door and pool cage as the surge bulldozed his home.

5. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I lived in the midwest for the first decade of my life. During those few years I had lots of experience with tornadoes. Just from my 10 years of experience I would not move back to the midwest without some structural protections or shelter on my property.

I can’t believe that you live in hurricane alley in a humble trailer. I would be as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. I’ve seen some documentaries on homes built to help with stand the forces of the hurricane. Like reinforced roofs the building being up off the ground to help protect from storm surge the shape of the building for the wind special shutters to help protect the windows from being smashed or blown out. I realize all of that cost money, but it can’t be cheap to have your humble trailer blown out to sea a couple times.

I have pretty much all my radio gear mounted in a portable rock mount that’s movable. Seems like that might be a good idea down there. When it’s time to leave you close the ends of the case lock them tight put it in your truck and take it with you when you go back to the Midwest.

N3HOE likes this.
  6. KE4D

KE4D Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Odds are very slim you will ever be hit by either a tornado or a hurricane but it only takes one. You do what you can to protect your property and if you live in a mobile home you leave when a hurricane approaches. I worked for FEMA for 8 years mostly managing disaster recovery centers. I deployed to many hurricanes and living in FL have been in 4 direct hits and a bunch of near misses. No way will I stay in my mobile home during an hurricane. During IAN, we went to a local hotel taking our QRP rig with us and packing the 7610 in Space Bags storing it in an interior closet. As far as protecting radio gear, you do what you can and carry the ARRL insurance to replace anything that is lost.

7. NU4R

NU4R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can set you up with a rig. 73!

N4LDB likes this.
  8. WB4JHS

WB4JHS Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys are awesome models of friendship! Sorry for your loss! We were spared in much of Orlando but some flooding.

Quinn check out Dunnellon Florida for a Winter snowbird location along with the Rainbow River. We are retiring there in a couple of years God willing. Call if you need a rental agent that we know. Not in the main hurricane pathway but potentially.

Your next broadcast might be a parody on all the potential places for OTA portable operations as I hear folks on the are considering such as:
    Sewage Plants on the Air, Malls on the Air, Beaches on the Air, Traffic Jams on the Air…Not sure what or where it might go next?

Be well amigos!

John
    WB4JHS

9. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here in Lakeland Highlands, FL Ian gave me 7.00" or rain and a wind gust of 81 mph. The trees took a big hit but the house got through okay.

10. WA9TDD

Thanks, Greg, I replied to your email. 73 Tom

11. WA9TDD

I am not surprised that you had tree damage, Tom. That was one hell of a storm. The damage that it caused looked similar to what I have seen from an EF5 tornado, but Ian was so wide and slow it penetrated all the way up the peninsula. Had 145+ winds and 17 inches of rain. Glad I wasn't there for the show. 73 Tom

12. WA9TDD

That is some great grist for the mill, John. Yeah, Quin and I have been amigos since high school, and that was a LOOONG time ago. 73, Tom

13. K8ZPB

K8ZPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Moving to Florida try Marion county either summerfield or Ocala. We have great weather and are in central Florida so we are not inundated by most storms. Lots of ham clubs here. K8ZPB 73

14. K8DO

K8DO Ham Member QRZ Page

Tom, my place is (was) on Manasota key. It no longer exists. The hurricane straps did not fail. The air pressure got under the unit and lifted it until broke it in two at the center.
    Glad to see you can rebuild. We are in limbo with Charlotte County demanding all new buildings on the coast be up on pilings. I have no idea if we will be able to put a new building on the lot due to set back requirements. K8DO 73

15. WA9TDD

Dennis, that is an awful situation to face. My place was taken out by flying debris from other homes, I inspected my straps and they held tight. If it wasn't for the debris I would have had significantly less damage. We considered demolition and buying a new manufactured home, but the restrictions, permitting, fees and other related expenses imposed by Charlotte County convinced us that restoring what we had (have) was the most cost effective solution. We are only about a mile and a half from Manasota Key. 73 Tom