ad: chuckmartin

Q900 All Mode All Bands HF to 70cm Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. K7LZR

K7LZR Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, after reading all of this I've decided to just continue using my newly acquired Elmac PMR-8 receiver & Heathkit DX-40 transmitter. For portable ops I'll just bring the generator :).

W3DL, W9FL, KE0GXN and 3 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't have a problem with quality Chinese products - like the SW3B.

You may remember the MFJ 9200? This was sold as a kit (the HS-1A) - my assumption is that MFJ brought the production run. The "A" boards even showed HS1A on the splash screen. They were also horrible.
    The next run, sold as the "B" board worked well, tho same had issues with birdies. I finally got a "B" model that was birdie free and was happy with it.

I sold it and now have the SW3B, technically superior in so many ways.

The FT-817/818 has been produced for two decades and still selling strong. You can still obtain factory support, documentation and parts, unlike the ZiGoo radios.
    People are free to make their own choices, but the old saw of "Penny wise, Pound foolish" comes to mind.

AA0KM, K7LZR, WB9YPA and 1 other person like this.
  3. K6FEX

K6FEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Another very clever product from China at a dirt cheap price! The reason they can do this is because they manufacturer most all the components. They are an industrial super country like the USA used to be. For the price it is impressive.

K3XQ, KB1UYS, KO4CES and 1 other person like this.
  4. ZL1RD

ZL1RD Ham Member QRZ Page

The link to the manufacturer and the seller do not appear for me. Can you please provide them thanks.?
    Rob
    zl1rd

5. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

try https://unicomradio.com
    Manufacturer is Guohe, also makes a "Tactical" radio

Oliver

6. WB9YPA

WB9YPA Ham Member QRZ Page

My water bill is higher because my sink and toilet leaks. I refuse to buy new valve components for them because they are from China.

AE8EM and KA2FIR like this.
  7. WB9YPA

Right, I still use the outdated MC9S12X series CPU's

8. WB9YPA

Right, I still use the "outdated" MC9S12X 16-bit series CPU's in my latest repeater controller design because I like its (Motorola like) instruction set and it will do everything required in my design.

9. WB9YPA

Yeah, I downloaded the "datasheet" for the M0 because I considered using it in a design. Thousands of pages of hair pulling technical terror. My (68HC11 like) MC9S12X series CPU will suffice for what I need currently.

KB1UYS and PY2NEA like this.
  10. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly! what you need presently
    I don't care the added services or which stuff, hardware or software, I will have "for free" with a more modern product.
    Each time I'm been sold something exceeding MY specifications, because I seldom have any choice (freedom) nowadays, I consider them marketing gurus, they've robbed me.

All I'm needing, I want it done easily and reliably. There is where I consider the value of a product/service.
    Is that too hard to get in the XXIs?

So back to the transceiver "all bands, all modes" by means of junk inside, frail outside, poor ergonomics, no thanks.

Oliver

WB9YPA, KE0GXN and KA2FIR like this.
  11. K4SR

K4SR Ham Member QRZ Page

Junk is junk. If that is what you want go ahead. Fair winds.......

W3DL, WB9YPA, KB1UYS and 2 others like this.
  12. W1DGL

W1DGL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I saw the same radio in an obvious 'scam' ad for only $30.

13. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like more CCR junk to me.

It never ceases to amaze me how any entity can throw some cheap electronics in a plastic or metal box, price it accordingly and half of this community of ours will froth at the mouth to get it and claim it is the best thing since slice bread.

Only in ham radio…SMH.

W0DN, WB9YPA and KB1UYS like this.
  14. VE3WWJ

VE3WWJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I would argue this point. Much of the designs they steal and then strip products down. Hopefully people will educate themselves more and stop buying this junk.

WB9YPA, KB1MM, KE0GXN and 1 other person like this.
  15. WA4VQW

WA4VQW Ham Member QRZ Page

About the knob, or lack thereof … it all depends on your use case. If you are trying track another station, who is using ~50 year old rigs (which can drift a bit until warmed up), then yeah, the knob is essential. If you want to use it to park on ft8, js8call, or any other digital frequency, then not so much. If there is that much need for a big knob to spin, it could almost be an outboard accessory for $25.

K3XQ and KB1UYS like this.