ad: CQMM-1

Alternative Radio Power source

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K0KLB, Aug 24, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. K0KLB

K0KLB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No Electricity?.. Dead Battery?.. No Solar?.. In this video we explore an alternative power source for your Amateur Radio.. Powered by a Human and fueled by Cheetos and Water, LOL.. It was a fun experiment and just might come in handy someday.. QRP 5w from Iowa bike power 640.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2022
    N7GWA, NL7P, K7WCH and 33 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is my 'human powered' QRP rig
    [​IMG]

AN/GRC-109. All of 15 watts (more or less) and the GN-58 is a delight to crank... (H/T to N6CC, a wonderful site, BTW)

I will have to admit, the idea of snacking while running the power supply is a better solution. Thanks for sharing the setup.
    Oddly I have the same kind of motor, also salvaged from a treadmill. Now all I need is to sort out the bicycle part...

HK3ORE, EI7CLB, K9EZ and 10 others like this.
  3. K0KLB

Hi Don.. That's a cool set up you have there.. I like that.. Your seat looks much more comfortable than mine, LOL.. It was a fun experiment to experience and it is usable in an emergency situation.. I did add a 13v, 50w Zener diode in parallel between the generator and radio so I don't over voltage the radio.. Thanks for sharing you set up.. k0klb

N4GST, W5KAL, K5AGE and 1 other person like this.
  4. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a set like the one shown - the photo is from the cited (N6CC) web site...just to be certain there is no confusion.

N4GST, KQ1V and K0KLB like this.
  5. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Attached to the Corntenna:?:)

KC7ZXY, K8ZFJ and K0KLB like this.
  6. K0KLB

Hahaha Chip.. No, but the Cheetos are made from corn.. does that count?, LOL.. Come to think of it.. Had I used the corntenna, It would have been corn input to the corn output, LOL..

KF7PCL, KC7ZXY, N4GST and 2 others like this.
  7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Roger that...

BTW we alternate corn and beans over 300 acres in KY ;-)

N4GST and K0KLB like this.
  8. KM4RJF

KM4RJF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Awesome. Been thinking about doing something similar.... thanks for the inspiration

K0KLB likes this.
  9. K0KLB

Hi Brannon.. Thanks for watching.. I did add a 13v/50w Zener diode between the generator and radio to assure I don't over voltage the radio if I happen to pedal a little too fast.. I talk about it at the beginning of this POTA video if you are interesting in seeing it..

EI7CLB, KF7PCL, KC7ZXY and 4 others like this.
  10. VA7LTX

VA7LTX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Kevin,
    "Powered by a Human and fueled by Cheetos and Water, LOL" LOL is putting it mildly Kevin !! The IRONY in You riding that bike and at the same time downing Cheetos had me in stitches HiHi !! On a serious note; congrats on the large amount of contacts you made...very impressive and great video editing too Kevin. God Bless You Kevin!!
    Lawrence and Jeanette in Richmond BC (VA7LTX and VA7JTX)

KC7ZXY, N4GST, KI5UXW and 1 other person like this.
  11. K0KLB

Hello Lawrence and Jeanette.. Thanks for watching and leaving a comment.. I'm glad you were entertained.. It was a fun experiment to envision, build and test.. I was happy with the results and the Cheetos were very tasty too (bonus), LOL.. It was a fun challenge and I'll do it again soon.. Blessings to you both as well.. 73, Kevin ~ k0klb

VA7LTX, N4GST and KI5UXW like this.
  12. KD5ALD

KD5ALD Ham Member QRZ Page

I like this , this sure looks practicable
    I always see green people doing things and wonder if they have any idea what practicable even is
    This is something that really can be done
    Yes I like this :)

N4GST and K0KLB like this.
  13. KI5UXW

KI5UXW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, if you've got the time for it...

K0KLB likes this.
  14. KM4RJF

KM4RJF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like a small battery inline would provide the buffer needed and give you a little bit of capacity too.

W0JMJ, KI5UXW and K0KLB like this.
  15. K0KLB

Hi Frank.. Thank you for your comment.. It will work when all else fails.. My intent with this experiment was to look at a solution to a long term crisis where I don't have any useful batteries (wore out/wont take a charge) and there is no electricity.. If the situation ever rises, this will be a workable solution to get on the air if needed.. Thanks for watching Frank.. I appreciate it.. 73, Kevin ~ k0klb

KC7ZXY, N4GST and KI5UXW like this.