ad: portazero-1

FX-4C compact full feature HF QRP SDR

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC8UD, Jul 14, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

The FX-4C is proving to be one of the best performers for it's size. Small enough to fit into the palm of your hand it still operates on 10 amateur bands plus full short wave coverage receive. It includes DSP, dual VFOs, multiple filter selection, variable power output from 0 to 10 watts, LCD display with 20 KHz wide spectrum and waterfall. It operates USB, LSB, AM, FM, CW and whatever digital mode you have software for. The audio is very impressive from the tiny little speaker and can blast loudly and clearly if you need to turn it up if you are in a noisy environment. I've had one for about a month now and have made contacts all over the US from my Idaho QTH including Hawaii, Alaska as well as VK and ZL contacts. The case is sturdy aluminum, not plastic. Alan, W2AEW, has made a very inclusive video review which demonstrates many of it's features. It can be ordered from several Chinese shopping sites but ordering directly from the designer/builder ends up being a little cheaper but takes a little longer. Contact BG2FX at his web site BG2FX.com.

G8RDI, K9RJ, N4UVR and 20 others like this.
  2. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A Belka DX transceiver! :D Pretty nifty!

Perhaps there is an optional magnifying glass that can be included for us old guys?

K0UO, K8ZFJ, KF4LQT and 10 others like this.
  3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

KF4ZKU, PY2NEA and AK5B like this.
  4. W3AIG

W3AIG Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the designer's website, "I previously designed and sold the FX-2, FX-4a, and FX-9A. The FX-2 and FX-4a were distributed by LNR Precision and were popular among Summits on the Air activators and other portable operators."

KF4LQT, KF4ZKU, KD9ERS and 4 others like this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Remarkable little rig especially as rising Solar Cycle 25 levels out the playing field :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

ITAL7, WB5PDZ, KF4ZKU and 1 other person like this.
  6. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Transceiver is nice for doing the digital modes. Just plug in a standard USB cable and connect to the computer. (Thats what the manual promises)

KF4ZKU likes this.
  7. W3KW

W3KW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey there, Don. Hope all is well. Yes, this is the guy that designed it. Check out his website.

KL7KN likes this.
  8. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Wes!

Doing fine all things considered. Waiting for my (tr)uSDX to arrive to try some of that level of QRP in the field.

Was out earlier this week in Das Bus running the KX2 on 20M. Man, was it hopping!
    BUS wradio ant.JPG KX2 setup in bus.JPG

The FX4 was dropped by LNR for good reasons. What I had originally sought from them was a
    FX-2 - for 40? and 30M. Also dropped for good reason.

Now this is all OBE by the release of the (tr) uSDX - 5 bands,5 wats, all modes and a genral coverage! - small and lightweight...Been looking for kind of rig for a lot of years.

Hope all is well with you, just cruised your page here on the Zed. I've also added a set of HW-8s to compliment the set of HW-7s now in the shack.

Don//KL7KN

US7IGN, W9EBE and W3KW like this.
  9. W0DN

W0DN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hook that sucker up to a legal limit splatter box and youre
    talkin real fun OM, if ya can see it...

AK5B and PY2NEA like this.
  10. W4FID

W4FID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe I am having a slow morning and missed it. If so I'm sorry to waste everyone's time. Watched the video. Read all the posts. Went to the web site and read all of it. DID NOT FIND A PRICE. Web site did say he was out of aluminum cases and would put the order page back up when he had some. I can understand the price could -- probably will -- change some with parts availability. But a ball park price would be nice to know. Are these in the $350 or $600 or $1000 range? Is there a US distributor or if imported from China any idea what the customs procedures, declarations, costs are?

11. KG8ZQ

KG8ZQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I see it on Ebay for about $600. Allegedly shipping now. It looks interesting.
    -Jerry KG8ZQ

KF4ZKU likes this.
  12. N4EYZ

N4EYZ Ham Member QRZ Page

From other sites on the web it appears to be in the $600 ballpark. Regardless I am very impressed. I'm already thinking about moving a piece of gear or so to justify another radio....

KF4ZKU likes this.
  13. KE4IYP

KE4IYP Ham Member QRZ Page

$600 is the scarcity eBay price. The original price is $524.

AJ4LN and W0JMJ like this.
  14. VK2MOT

VK2MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can confirm this rig is awesome. I have gotten rid of everything else and this little FX-4C is brilliant as my base and portable rig. Only other transceiver I have is my Icom IC-229H for VHF base and Yaesu 2m handheld. The maker is a very nice man and I dealt with him directly also.

K8ZFJ and KF4ZKU like this.
  15. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe these small rig is awesome. And here I think so too, after what I had seen. But at the moment in hamradio we arrive at a crossroad, like in the section of good home audio for about several years. All is getting smaller, but will this get better? I dont know. But in the home audio section there is a clear NO and many people got back to different bigger components with the well known media. So where will hamradio go to? So small that its not to see anymore, get digital. Here I dont know what I will miss in the future, in cause of the new situation.